Big Tex trailer

SteveBX23

Equipment
LX2610SU; BH77
May 23, 2021
South Jersey
Well, I was excited to have scored this Big Tex car hauler last week to haul my upcoming LX2610. It’s a 7k, 20’ w/ the dovetail. Upon further inspection, I’m not so sure about it. Very flexy/flimsy, to the point I’m questioning how it will handle a tractor going on and off and transporting. Does anyone else have one of these trailers? Could be a case of overthinking. Looking at the construction of it, I can see why it has so much movement. I just sold a 25 year old 16’ trailer that was more solid than this. Recouping money wouldnt be a problem, I can probably make money on it.
143F5D0B-C02D-470B-A314-0195A5CB759B.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
I don't own one but you sure see lots of them around so they must be OK.

Thinking sorta like F150's, may not be everyone bag but given so many of them around the BigTEx must be good.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
according to the web ,about $4500 US$...BigTex says frame is 3x5 angle iron ! though no pictures to see underneath. I'd require BOTH axles have brakes and backup lights. I suggest solid blocks of wood under the dovetail when loading/unloading ( funny,well not funny, video was posted here months ago, as to WHY.....)

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

SteveBX23

Equipment
LX2610SU; BH77
May 23, 2021
South Jersey
according to the web ,about $4500 US$...BigTex says frame is 3x5 angle iron ! though no pictures to see underneath. I'd require BOTH axles have brakes and backup lights. I suggest solid blocks of wood under the dovetail when loading/unloading ( funny,well not funny, video was posted here months ago, as to WHY.....)
About $5600 in these parts

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I know a guy selling an aluminum one that doesn't flop around like a piece of wet cardboard

Last edited:
  • Haha

Sparky Prep

Dec 24, 2022
South Florida
I don't have that trailer, but I do own a Big Tex trailer of a different model, and I am extremely happy with it. Great build quality.

will721

Equipment
LX2610, Ford 2n, Ferguson TO20
Jun 6, 2023
Quad Cities Area
If its a 7k trailer that's the lightest duty twin axle available. (Twin 3500lb axles) So yes it is going to be quite light in its construction else it wouldn't be able to haul anything with that small of an axle. Without looking it up I'd GUESS the frame/deck weight of around 2000lbs, which puts the capacity at around 5k. It also likely only has single axle brakes. For reference, Kubota says the tractor weighs under 2k. Dry no attachments.

Basically its enough trailer to do the job depending on what your purpose is. If you are just taking the tractor to the dealer and mabey occasionally hauling it around it will do just fine. If you want to use it more commercially loading up the tractor with a bunch of implements, fuel, things of that nature I'd move to a 10k at the very least. Not just for the weight rating, but also because its more likely to have brakes on both axles. A light duty trailer loaded to the gills is more dangerous than a heavy duty trailer loaded light. Especially when paired with lighter trucks.

Reactions: 3 users

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
My late father had a BIG TEX fifth wheel trailer and what a pile of crap. It would flex loading a light car. This was a trailer rated for 20k and an Audi A6 would cause it to flex! Also when it was purchased NEW it came with retread tires on it which all failed within 6000 miles(Called company and was told it was a tire manufacturer issue, not covered under warranty)((the phone number they provided was disconnected). After about four years had to rewire it due to poor workmanship(butt connectors and scotch locks)(not heat shrink or sealed). Also the powder coating was flaking off with a year too(not covered under warranty). So unless it is very cheap and you are willing to spend money to rebuild it within a short time span, run. I currently have an iron bull trailer that is 18 foot 10k rated for and the trailer empty is almost 2800 pounds, so that gives you an idea of the build quality, Brakes on both axles and a spare tire is included free,

Last edited:

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
If its a 7k trailer that's the lightest duty twin axle available. (Twin 3500lb axles) So yes it is going to be quite light in its construction else it wouldn't be able to haul anything with that small of an axle. Without looking it up I'd GUESS the frame/deck weight of around 2000lbs, which puts the capacity at around 5k. It also likely only has single axle brakes. For reference, Kubota says the tractor weighs under 2k. Dry no attachments.

Basically its enough trailer to do the job depending on what your purpose is. If you are just taking the tractor to the dealer and mabey occasionally hauling it around it will do just fine. If you want to use it more commercially loading up the tractor with a bunch of implements, fuel, things of that nature I'd move to a 10k at the very least. Not just for the weight rating, but also because its more likely to have brakes on both axles. A light duty trailer loaded to the gills is more dangerous than a heavy duty trailer loaded light. Especially when paired with lighter trucks.
Unequivocally incorrect. wow.

you do not need a 10,000 trailer to cart around an LX good lord.

Real life example, not hypothetical: it's just a miracle this thing has lasted all these years getting used every week with just two 3,500 lb axles 🤔

Reactions: 2 users

SteveBX23

Equipment
LX2610SU; BH77
May 23, 2021
South Jersey

Why would I buy something unnecessarily big? Tractor with backhoe will come in around 3200lbs. Still having 1800ish to spare, for a 7k trailer. So I’m going to buy a trailer that has 7500lbs of carrying capacity? Great, so I could haul 2 tractors! This trailer weighs 2000lbs. A 10k of something comparable would be an automatic significant jump in dry weight. How is more weight PUSHING a lighter truck safer? Than a lighter truck PULLING less weight?

I knew it wouldn’t take long to get here..

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
Get a stabilizing hitch and bars for it. It will tow like a dream. Also get a large shank tow ball. I use 1” or 1 1/4” shank only. The ball is the weakest link. With heavy rated ball and stabilizer bars, you will tow your tractor easily down the road, a lot safer too.

will721

Equipment
Jun 6, 2023
Quad Cities Area
I didn't say it wouldn't do it. It will just fine. I said if its being used commercially hauling other things as well then it would be a bit tight. 2200lbs of tractor means 2800lbs of remaining payload. Toss on two extra attachments and a good ballast box and you're close. Add in other equipment or materials for landscape work and you're well past very easily. But again it all depends on the trailers intended purpose.

How is more weight PUSHING a lighter truck safer? Than a lighter truck PULLING less weight?

I knew it wouldn’t take long to get here..
A light duty trailer loaded to the gills is more dangerous than a heavy duty trailer loaded light. Especially when paired with lighter trucks.
In other words, a trailer rated for 7k loaded to full capacity with a single brake or lighter duty brakes is more dangerous than say a 10k trailer loaded below its capacity.

• Dislike
Reactions: 4 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
The odds are real good that brakes can be added to the 2nd axle,just check for the 4 holed mounting tabs. All the axles I've seen in past 15-20 years have had them AND both underslung and overslung spring pads.
According to BigTex, trailer does weigh in at 2000#, so , 5K payload. A trailer doesn't need a LOT of steel to be strong,just designed,tested and built for the job. The BIG issue with getting a bigger trailer is YOUR driver's license and 'permits'. While it varies where you live, drive to and purpose, hauling can get real complicated ( and expensive) with bigger trailers.

• Dislike

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
re: In other words, a trailer rated for 7k loaded to full capacity with a single brake or lighter duty brakes is more dangerous than say a 10k trailer loaded below its capacity.

but you're not comparing 'apples to apples' ! Load up that 10k trailer to 'full capacity'.
curious... do ALL '10k' trailers have brakes on both axles ?

FYI , I've put brakes on both axles for the 6by10 dump . Never had any problems stopping with 4yds of material onboard(7K+ ),and I have to deal with a lot of idiot 'dump truck' drivers.

• Dislike

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I love this... Steve wants to tow an LX, people here are saying he needs 10,000 pound trailer and should investigate getting a CDL 😂

It's best he get a low boy for his LX, esp if towing it frequently. OTT armchairs deliver again 🛋

1686182958801.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users

SteveBX23

Equipment
LX2610SU; BH77
May 23, 2021
South Jersey
I love this... Steve wants to tow an LX, people here are saying he needs 10,000 pound trailer and needs to investigate getting a CDL 😂

It's best he should get a low boy for his LX, esp if he is towing it frequently. OTT armchairs deliver again 🛋

View attachment 104494
But I would need the truck to have a sleeper! Otherwise, I’m going the dump truck route.

• Haha

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
The odds are real good that brakes can be added to the 2nd axle,just check for the 4 holed mounting tabs. All the axles I've seen in past 15-20 years have had them AND both underslung and overslung spring pads.
According to BigTex, trailer does weigh in at 2000#, so , 5K payload. A trailer doesn't need a LOT of steel to be strong,just designed,tested and built for the job. The BIG issue with getting a bigger trailer is YOUR driver's license and 'permits'. While it varies where you live, drive to and purpose, hauling can get real complicated ( and expensive) with bigger trailers.
Maybe in Canada........
But...... in the USA, as far as I know, a CDL (or other permit) is not required for any trailer for personal/private use.

will721

Equipment
Jun 6, 2023
Quad Cities Area
re: In other words, a trailer rated for 7k loaded to full capacity with a single brake or lighter duty brakes is more dangerous than say a 10k trailer loaded below its capacity.

but you're not comparing 'apples to apples' ! Load up that 10k trailer to 'full capacity'.
curious... do ALL '10k' trailers have brakes on both axles ?

FYI , I've put brakes on both axles for the 6by10 dump . Never had any problems stopping with 4yds of material onboard(7K+ ),and I have to deal with a lot of idiot 'dump truck' drivers.
Not all just most, and it is apples to apples. If you regularly need to haul say 5000lbs it would be safer to do so on a trailer rated for 10k vs 7k. Because a trailer rated for 10k is of course a bit heavier but not by a huge margin and the trade off is better brakes and a more rigid trailer. Again, not at all necessary to haul an just lx around by itself.

But for example, my lx will be hauled into town to work at my parents house from time to time. Next time I will be hauling it with a 60" tiller, box blade, loader, bucket, and pallet forks to install a new driveway and work on their retaining wall. Thats roughly 4200-4300lbs give or take. That 7k trailer would haul it, but my 10k trailer will do it safer because it is more rigid and has better brakes. Add one more attachment, materials, or my fuel tank and you are at or over capacity of the 7k trailer as well. If you were to make that trip regularly as a landscaper or had a second property you needed to haul to all the time the 10k would be the correct choice. But again it depends on his intended purpose because it doesn't make sense if hes just hauling it by itself or just to the dealer for service.

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
Just tossing my $0.02 in for fun.....
My LX2610HST 60" bucket on the loader, 3rd function 2 rear remotes quick hitch and the large 15-19.5 R4 tires loaded with RimGuard (Beet juice). weights 3550 pounds wet (full of fuel no operator).
I tow it with a 16' Wolverine Aluminum flatbed 7k rates brakes on both axles 1120 pounds empty.
Never have had an issue hauling the tractor or any of the cars. Yes it would be nice to have a longer trailer. But I store it indoors and the spot I keep it an 18' would stick out of the place. Plus everything I need to haul fits on the 14' long deck. Best part is the fenders are low enough that the car doors can be opened over the top of them....

Attachments

Reactions: 2 users