Big Game Tags

bcbull378

Equipment
GL3830,fel,brush hog,pallet forks,disc,gannon,auger,springtooth,plow,drag,ripper
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
it's been a good week we found out a few days ago we drew Mule deer buck tags for Montana, today we found out we drew Colorado Elk tags . 2 weeks from now I'll find out if I drew California Deer , elk and bighorn sheep tags. Life is good what a guy will do to fill the freezer, loving retirement.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Good on you, I havent filled out a Pa deer tag in a long time. Enjoy your time in the field, and thank the Lord every time you see the sun come up while your there :D

Toyboy

Equipment
BX2230D - RCK60-22BX - BX5450
May 18, 2010
Hayward Wi
Good for you but getting the tags is the easy part. :)
I've been in a dry spell the last couple years for elk in Co and deer in WI. This fall I'm going back to Canada for another moose hunt. We'll see how that works out.;)

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
My family loves venison, and in NC we can harvest 6 whitetails annually. I have a number of friends who practice QDMA so they manage the does on there property but don't eat a lot of venison.

We partner together, they dress and quarter the deer and bring it to me. I debone, soak, and process and in return give back what they want. Usually a few packs of burger, sausage, and some steaks. Great deal for us, couple years ago processed 32, filled up the freezer.

Pic is me grinding venison from a buck taken in Illinois.

Attachments

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Here in Pa several years ago the PaGC in their infinite wisdom implemented the if it's brown put it down season,,, There are places we use to hunt where the herd has never recovered, ya cant kill off tons of does and expect to have a huge buck population, and the antler restriction hasnt helped either in MHO. Most places its 4 on one side, I have bucks around here that have been BIG 4 points and BIG 6 points for years. I am not a biologist but I have to assume the ones that didnt have 4 or more points per side were not shot out, and that gene has become dominate, at least around here anyways. OK Im done whining now

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
Most places its 4 on one side, I have bucks around here that have been BIG 4 points and BIG 6 points for years. I am not a biologist but I have to assume the ones that didnt have 4 or more points per side were not shot out, and that gene has become dominate, at least around here anyways. OK Im done whining now
I've been saying for years that antler restrictions can have a negative impact on antler genetics. It is true that you can't control genetics through harvest, however, when you introduce antler restrictions, most are going to harvest the first deer they see that meets the restriction. If that's a 4 on one side like most places, mostly what is going to be shot are 2 year old deer that meet that, and maybe even some 1 year old deer, and these are probably the deer with the best genetics. Meanwhile the other bucks are living to be 4 and 5 years old, maybe older, and are the ones doing the majority of the breeding. This happening over 20 or more years I think can have a negative impact.

Instead of having antler restrictions, just have a buck limit. That way the ones who let the young guys walk will still do that, and the ones who don't care will still just shoot the first one they see.

This will be the first year my state has required tags, and while I don't necessarily like the way they did the antlerless tags (but I do understand the reasoning on why they did them like that) I think they did the buck tags right. Basically you get 3 buck tags for free that can be used on any buck (must have 2" of visible antler) and can purchase 2 additional tags that are for bucks with 4 on one side or a 12" spread. Usually I let the little guys walk but if there aren't any wall hangers around I'll shoot a spike or 3 pt or two (as well as a couple of does) and let the little 6s and 8s walk. Plus it's nice to have the ability to take out any deer that has an injury, it would be tough to let a deer walk that is limping badly because of a silly antler restriction.

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Your right and sadly I have found over the years since it went into effect way to many ground checks,,, oppps I thought it had more points,,, and walk off,, wasting a valuable resource . just MHO

bcbull378

Equipment
GL3830,fel,brush hog,pallet forks,disc,gannon,auger,springtooth,plow,drag,ripper
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
Good on you, I havent filled out a Pa deer tag in a long time. Enjoy your time in the field, and thank the Lord every time you see the sun come up while your there :D
I thank the good Lord for every day for the time I have with family and friends .

bcbull378

Equipment
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
Good for you but getting the tags is the easy part. :)
I've been in a dry spell the last couple years for elk in Co and deer in WI. This fall I'm going back to Canada for another moose hunt. We'll see how that works out.;)
I've been blessed over the years hunting , we have a ranch here in Ca and I take my 2 bucks every year on the ranch. We also kill as many wild hogs as we want. I have a good friend that lives in the area we hunt elk in Colorado he rides his horses and scouts for us prior to season so we normally all fill our tags they are a either sex tag so that does help.I have a 378 Boone and Crocket bull on the wall so it's not all about killing a big bull it's about filling the freezer. Good luck to all this hunting season.......Dan

bgk

Apr 23, 2017
Accord, ny
In response to the antler restriction posts...... 12 or 13 years ago we started 3 points on one side in both of the units that we hunt in NY. I can tell you, for sure, that it has done a great job of not only seeing more bucks getting to 2.5-3.5 but many more mature bucks are taken every year. They need to reel in the doe permit numbers a bit more (they have cut back) but overall they've done a decent job.

bgk

Apr 23, 2017
Accord, ny
I've been blessed over the years hunting , we have a ranch here in Ca and I take my 2 bucks every year on the ranch. We also kill as many wild hogs as we want. I have a good friend that lives in the area we hunt elk in Colorado he rides his horses and scouts for us prior to season so we normally all fill our tags they are a either sex tag so that does help.I have a 378 Boone and Crocket bull on the wall so it's not all about killing a big bull it's about filling the freezer. Good luck to all this hunting season.......Dan

Dan, I never would've guessed that nice bull by your name ;-). Good luck this season, and share some pics of your elk.

FrozenOrange

Equipment
L3901HST, B7100
May 8, 2017
North Pole Alaska
Just got drawn for my caribou tags for a special hunt here in Alaska. It coincides with my already scheduled vacation. First two weeks down at Valdez salmon fishing then the second two weeks caribou hunting. I also do a late season registration caribou hunt for caribou in December. That is a cold dark bugger of a hunt and ya gotta use snowmachines for that one. Happy to get an August tag. Woo-hoo.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Here in Pa several years ago the PaGC in their infinite wisdom implemented the if it's brown put it down season,,, There are places we use to hunt where the herd has never recovered, ya cant kill off tons of does and expect to have a huge buck population, and the antler restriction hasnt helped either in MHO. Most places its 4 on one side, I have bucks around here that have been BIG 4 points and BIG 6 points for years. I am not a biologist but I have to assume the ones that didnt have 4 or more points per side were not shot out, and that gene has become dominate, at least around here anyways. OK Im done whining now
I'm envisioning the opposite problem where I hunt. Our CO claims to have seen yearling bucks as big as 5X5. Having seen a 5X4, I believe him. When MN has done a point restriction, it's been 3 points on one side. So if they implemented it in my area, I would think that a lot of the bigger yearlings would get shot. In my opinion, the yearling buck is the dumbest adult deer in the woods. If you want to improve the buck quality, reduce the # of buck tags. In MN buck tags are OTC. In spite of that, we still have some phenomenal bucks in our area; they just aren't behind every tree. It seems it would take some of the fun out of getting a big one if they were.

Our area has some varied habitat, so it's tough for the DNR to get the # if doe tags right. Where I hunt, at least the first 6 rows of any corn field are trashed automatically, but as you get away from the North and South Dakota borders, the habitat isn't as good. So you get guys in the sparse habitat area's buying every doe tag they can get, shooting every deer they see, and complaining that the state issues too many doe tags.

bcbull378

Equipment
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
Just got drawn for my caribou tags for a special hunt here in Alaska. It coincides with my already scheduled vacation. First two weeks down at Valdez salmon fishing then the second two weeks caribou hunting. I also do a late season registration caribou hunt for caribou in December. That is a cold dark bugger of a hunt and ya gotta use snowmachines for that one. Happy to get an August tag. Woo-hoo.
Congratulations on drawing tags have a successful and safe hunt.