BH77 hydraulic thumb plumbing

Fluke631

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Oct 29, 2019
Canada
Hey all,

I am swapping for hydraulic thumb on my BH77, and just want to confirm something,

My plan is to put a single spool valve with power beyond just before the backhoe valve assembly and a T fitting from valve return to backhoe return.

Anyone sees issues with that?

seanbarr

Equipment
B7100DT (sold) - Branson 3520H
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA
I’m curious, would you mind linking me to the other post?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fluke631

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Oct 29, 2019
Canada
https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44357&page=3

FYSA,

Pressure line that is supposed to go in backhoe in pressure port of spool valve
Power beyond port to backhoe
Return line to tractor return
And pressure out of backhoe in Power beyond return to tractor

When BH disconnected put PB From valve to Power Beyond to tractor.

See my bad drawing plan attached

Attachments

Cambo

May 25, 2020
100 Mile House
I am confused
https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44357&page=3

FYSA,

Pressure line that is supposed to go in backhoe in pressure port of spool valve
Power beyond port to backhoe
Return line to tractor return
And pressure out of backhoe in Power beyond return to tractor

When BH disconnected put PB From valve to Power Beyond to tractor.

See my bad drawing plan attached
a bit, you have 2 return lines going to the tractor?
I have an L35 so factory backhoe, I can’t get any info on how to add another function (want a thumb)????
I even called the manufacturer of the spool valve but they say it is proprietary and Kubota keeps it secret so I can’t figure out how to add a section!
It is meant to have a pedal assembly added for another function so this is confusing.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I am confused

a bit, you have 2 return lines going to the tractor?
I have an L35 so factory backhoe, I can’t get any info on how to add another function (want a thumb)????
I even called the manufacturer of the spool valve but they say it is proprietary and Kubota keeps it secret so I can’t figure out how to add a section!
It is meant to have a pedal assembly added for another function so this is confusing.
If you just want it for a thumb on your BT900, you can mount it on the backhoe. You'll need a valve with power beyond sized for 11GPM. The existing line from the loader to the BH will be removed from the BH valve Pressure port and go to the Pressure port on the new valve. A new line will run from the Power Beyond port on the new valve to the Pressure port on the BH valve. A new line from the Tank port on the new valve will be tee'ed into the Tank line from the BH valve. Then 2 new lines will run from the working ports on the new valve to the thumb cylinder ports.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I was thinking of added a valve like John Deere has put out for their smaller backhoes ( 260B, 270B and 370B ). Tim did a video of him added one to his backhoe. You can see the video here. I think someone on TBN had done the same thing on a BH77, but I can seem to find the post. Not the same as having a valve to control the thumb independently, but I think it would be easier to plumb.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I was thinking of added a valve like John Deere has put out for their smaller backhoes ( 260B, 270B and 370B ). Tim did a video of him added one to his backhoe. You can see the video here. I think someone on TBN had done the same thing on a BH77, but I can seem to find the post. Not the same as having a valve to control the thumb independently, but I think it would be easier to plumb.
That operation looks wonky to me. Seems like you could mount a diverter valve on the boom or stick, plumb into the bucket lines, and run 12v to a button on the console or joystick. Then you'd have independent control.

Cambo

May 25, 2020
100 Mile House
If you just want it for a thumb on your BT900, you can mount it on the backhoe. You'll need a valve with power beyond sized for 11GPM. The existing line from the loader to the BH will be removed from the BH valve Pressure port and go to the Pressure port on the new valve. A new line will run from the Power Beyond port on the new valve to the Pressure port on the BH valve. A new line from the Tank port on the new valve will be tee'ed into the Tank line from the BH valve. Then 2 new lines will run from the working ports on the new valve to the thumb cylinder ports.
Thanks for the reply!
What I was hoping for was someone would have the info on installing another section to the existing valve, it is meant for one more section and the backhoe has a place where a pedal would mount to operate the valve.
I saw some where a guy put it on his but it was all new stuff so not really any help to me. The dealer has no idea what or how to order the valve, just the entire thing @ $1800!
Not what I want lol.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Thanks for the reply!
What I was hoping for was someone would have the info on installing another section to the existing valve, it is meant for one more section and the backhoe has a place where a pedal would mount to operate the valve.
I saw some where a guy put it on his but it was all new stuff so not really any help to me. The dealer has no idea what or how to order the valve, just the entire thing @ $1800!
Not what I want lol.
Interesting. Never heard of that. I also have an L35. Manual thumb helps, but I've looked at automating it. Looking at the parts list, it looks like you can buy a valve section for ~$600. Unless you could find a used valve. Then you would need longer tie rods. And control linkage. I doubt you could weasel 2 more hoses through the wrist joint, so you'd have to route them outside I think. I'm leaning toward the diverter mounted on the boom, but I'm not too serious about it right now. Keep us informed.
BTW, you wouldn't happen to have a spare set of lift arms, would you :)?