BH77 effective on L2501 in rocky areas?

txnbygod

Equipment
L4701
Nov 6, 2016
Burnet Texas
First tractor

new property, 8 acres in Tx hill country with plenty of limestone and cedar.
Less than 5 acres of shredding
Box blading lots of surface rock
Maintaining long gravel drive
Possibly grading and creating new parking area and driveway

I've pretty much decided on the L series, but trying to decide which...
Both fel, hst, and 4wd with implements above listed chores
Both options below are at the ends of my budget

Most hp I can afford? L3901

Or L2501 and adding the backhoe?
I'd want to pull cedar stumps, dig for new trees, dig culverts for water control, etc

My concern is just how effective this smaller bh unit might be. Rocks here can vary in size from a baseball to too dang big. I know it won't handle the big stuff and it's gotta be better than using a shovel, but is it worth the investment?

Renting a machine for those projects has crossed my mind, but there's lots to do and my work schedule makes pickup/returning it a real pain.

Any insights?

Thorny

Equipment
L2501 HST, 4x4, FEL, front snow blade, rotary cutter, box blade
Sep 24, 2016
Mountains of CO
I'm new to tractors with only 10 hours my L2501, so read my words through the lens of a new guy, but also a guy who is in a similar situation to you.

The L2501 weighs 150# less than the L3901. Weight = traction, and traction will help you accomplish your box blading and grading.

I've found that on my dry dirt here in Colorado, the L2501 has enough power to the wheels that it'll spin a front tire and both rear tires (4WD and rear axle locked, tires loaded with liquid ballast) if I take too deep of a cut with the front end loader into the soil. I'm not sure that a bigger motor would be more beneficial to me for occasional dirt work.

That being said, the hydraulic pumps on the L2501 are both smaller than they are on the L3301 and L3901, which share the same pump sizes. The 33 and 39 also handle progressively more hydraulic pressure than the 25 does so they should be able to lift more in the bucket than the 25 can. The higher pressure systems should also lift the bucket faster, if thats important to you.

I've transferred retaining wall blocks from my pickup bed into the bucket of the 25 and found that it can hold enough weight that the rear end (again loaded tires) of the tractor, which also had a box blade hooked up was really light when traveling down hill. so it's my opinion that max bucket capacity on the L2501 is adequate for the capacity of the frame on this tractor, even though it may not be as fast up and down as the 33 and 39hp versions.

Where I might wish for more power is when I'm mowing next summer. My pasture is up a hill and while I was able to cut it this fall in mid range on the HST transmission, I might wish for more power come next spring when the grass is tall and green, rather than the dry fall grass I cut this year.

If I were going to buy a backhoe, I'd test the unit on both size tractors to see how quick it runs with the various system flow rates and pressure capacities.

txnbygod

Equipment
L4701
Nov 6, 2016
Burnet Texas
Ty for the info, Thorny

The cylinder pressure differences is info I did not know and very well could sway my decision.

Dirt work will definitely be needed soon to create a yard for the new house. I have been stick piling clean fill and have 18 loads already. Lord knows how much surface rock will be box bladed and loaded off. I think the fel with get plenty of use.

Shredding will be the most regular chore. Although I don't have a whole lot to do on my place, I'm sure I will inherit the shredding at my mother in law's 30 acres just down the road.

Both units come with implement packages. The shredder is a light duty. Perhaps go with the 3901 and go with a heavier duty shredder and other little upgrades...

The bh77 is an $8k upgrade; and guessing from the lack of posts it may not be so popular a choice and it really pushes me beyond my budget

Although the 2501 fits my budget comfortably, I'm starting to think buy as much hp as I can with a sturdy shredder.

tempforce

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Jun 23, 2012
bastrop, tx
when i cleared my property after the bastrop wildfire. my l3200hst worked great. good fuel economy and good backhoe and fel power. could of used a wider stance at times. i had the tires filled and kept the backhoe attached so that i could dig stumps and lift logs without tipping forward. some logs weighed enough, that i had to extend the back hoe horizontal to balance. so you know i used the machine. for brushing i had a tractor supply 5' brush hog mounted on the three point. i would keep it raised partway and back into the scrub.
i am dealing with backhoe seal leaks in the control module due to the loads i put on the system. i would recommend the l3301 to anyone with a small place requiring serious work.

Last edited:

txnbygod

Equipment
L4701
Nov 6, 2016
Burnet Texas
I'm glad to hear you're getting your place back together. That fire was beyond scary. A good friend lost most everything, but the house slab

I hear ya about the bh being a valuable tool. I want to get it, but can't afford putting it on anything bigger than the L2501. That is even beyond the budget actually, but I'd be willing to take the ass chewing from the wife if it is really worth it.

Again, our rocky terrain is my concern

I'm thinking.... like a house, a good foundation is most important. Get the best tractor, i.e. Horse power, and more heavy duty implements I can afford first

Filled tires
I understand that is almost a must, but my dealer is asking $1k to fill them with the good stuff. Is it worth all that? Any other acceptable ways to fill them?

Last edited:

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
that's ridiculous on cost. my dealer threw it in for my L4060...which if I'm not mistaken has much larger tires. so costs more.

I was told the backhoe on the 2501 would lack performance I would hope for.

IF it were my choice, get the most tractor you can, with the FEL FIRST. you can always get the other implements later. get only the absolute musts. don't sweat the DPF, I've had no issues on the L series.

txnbygod

Equipment
L4701
Nov 6, 2016
Burnet Texas
Tractors are a new learning experience for me, but I was caught off guard when he told me the price for filling them.

This particular dealer seems to have the monopoly on kubotas in the area with several dealerships. I wonder if another store would price differently...

Eray

Equipment
L2501 HST
Feb 24, 2015
Lenoir City, Tennessee
Tractors are a new learning experience for me, but I was caught off guard when he told me the price for filling them.

This particular dealer seems to have the monopoly on kubotas in the area with several dealerships. I wonder if another store would price differently...
Check for a local Farmers Co-Op in your area. That is where my dealer takes them to be filled.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
My L3800 was $3.k less at a dealership five hours away. They advertised in a state wide 'buy sell trade' weekly booklet. I had just got a written quote from the local Kubota dealer 15 miles away. The I picked up the 'buy sell trade' book. The ad was right there. I got out my written quote. Called the dealer in the ad. He said yes that's the price and I'll deliver it to your dooryard for that price. I did my online credit app on Friday. It was delivered on Monday.
My point. Shop around.

txnbygod

Equipment
L4701
Nov 6, 2016
Burnet Texas
Couple more questions....

Lots recommend the quick connect for fel bucket and other attachments. Good idea?

I don't remember the terminology for the 3 pt/box blade add on... top & tilt? How much help is that?

I've also heard of adding extra hydraulic remotes. What are those used to do?

Ty y'all for all the help so far!

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
Couple more questions....

Lots recommend the quick connect for fel bucket and other attachments. Good idea?

I don't remember the terminology for the 3 pt/box blade add on... top & tilt? How much help is that?

I've also heard of adding extra hydraulic remotes. What are those used to do?

Ty y'all for all the help so far!
I use my SSQA all the time. I change from my bucket to my forks and back a lot when I'm cutting firewood. It is really easy when my wife is helping with moving the pins. The SSQA is something I'm very happy that I got.

txnbygod

Equipment
L4701
Nov 6, 2016
Burnet Texas
The ssqa is starting to sound like a good idea to me.

Not sure how much I would use forks. I think a small grapple would help me drag cedars to burn piles. Anyone using one?

tempforce

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Jun 23, 2012
bastrop, tx
in our area use h2o to fill your tires. no worries about freezing. if your concerned about freezing. use winter windshield washer fluid. couple bucks a gallon.
or add some antifreeze in with the water. get the eco friendly anti-freeze to keep the critters happy. (just in case you have a leak).
if you fill the tires yourself, only fill them 3/4 full so you have some air to cushion the ride..

the quick attach implements are worth every dollar..

Thorny

Equipment
L2501 HST, 4x4, FEL, front snow blade, rotary cutter, box blade
Sep 24, 2016
Mountains of CO
Filling tractor tires is not a kubota only thing. Check prices at any tractor dealer and chose the location with the best price.

you've mentioned few times the "package deal". keep in mind that it's not really a set package. Kubota has incentives for selling a new tractor with 3 implements (or maybe it's 2) so the dealers are just creating a package for you. most of the packages I saw included a trailer, but unless you need a trailer, why pay for one?

As for the backhoe, I'd suspect that you could rent a track hoe from home depot for a few days, dig out all your rocks and have a total rental cost of about $500. that's a lot cheaper than buying an implement that you might not need all that often.

The SSQA (skid steer quick attach) bucket option is nice. My dealer doesn't order tractors any other way. even if you don't need it now, its only a few hundred dollars as an option and it leaves open door for future needs.

txnbygod

Equipment
L4701
Nov 6, 2016
Burnet Texas
Ok
Lots of good pointers here
Ty

So....
Scratch the bh
will get at least a box blade and shredder either way. Would like a hd shredder unit
Upgrade to industrial tires

This will be a cash deal

Go with most hp I can afford, 3901? Ssqa possibly, but that or other upgrades get to the outer reaches of my savings. I'll be set for any future needs though

Or, 2501 with more upgrades and possibly a little cash left in my pocket?

Tough choice for me
I like the best tools and I'm getting up in age
But I likes a lil spending $ too

Brazos

Equipment
L2501DT
Jul 12, 2016
Texas
I am using a L2501 in rocky limestone/cedar country unp north of you in Glen Rose. Works great. If anything I just need more weight. My tires spin way before I run out of power (never have run out of power). If anything I need more weight (bigger size tractor). I do need to weight my tires and swap my AG rims for a wider stance for more weight and stability. My property has a lot of slope and it can get a little western at times. I do not have a backhoe attachment so I can't speak to that. I can't imagine it wouldn't have enough power though. The L2501 has the same torque as a 3301 but at 2200 rpm.