BH 77 backhoe bucket sizes

springer3

Equipment
L4760
Feb 11, 2017
Lewisberry, PA
There are 4 bucket sizes for the BH 77: 10", 12", 16", and 24". I was planning on getting the 16" pin on bucket as the best for most jobs other than trenching. Anybody have experience that would suggest something different? Thank you.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I think 16" is the standard size and that is the size I went with and wanted anyway. I wouldn't want a 24" due to soil hardness here. The smaller the bucket, the more likely wet soil will stick in the bucket. I later bought a 6" trencher bucket from BXPanded and have experienced wet clay packing in the bucket while digging.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I have both a 10" and 16" bucket and like Nicfin36 said, the smaller the bucket, the more likely dirt will get packed in the bucket if it is damp.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I have both a 10" and 16" bucket and like Nicfin36 said, the smaller the bucket, the more likely dirt will get packed in the bucket if it is damp.
I do not have the Bh77, but my BL4690 has about the same digging specs. I bought a 10" and 16" bucket.

I almost never use the 10". Clogs up with our clay soil too much. To the point of being a nightmare if damp or wet. I would go with the 16" if I only were buying one bucket. A wider one could be nice on occasion, but the 16" is a good all around size.

springer3

Equipment
L4760
Feb 11, 2017
Lewisberry, PA
I do not have the Bh77, but my BL4690 has about the same digging specs. I bought a 10" and 16" bucket.

I almost never use the 10". Clogs up with our clay soil too much. To the point of being a nightmare if damp or wet. I would go with the 16" if I only were buying one bucket. A wider one could be nice on occasion, but the 16" is a good all around size.
Thanks everyone, got the answer I was looking for.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I worked for a swimming pool company to get through college back in late 70's. If there's anything you can do to see the effects of different soils on a backhoe, and the effects of different size buckets, building pools for 6 years will probably show it to you. And you don't have to go very far to find a completely different digging condition. We built two pools, less than a mile apart. One had beautiful sandy loam, the other, we hit granite at 8 inch depth. And I mean granite, not hard dirt. A backhoe on granite is about as useful as a screen door on a submarine. Dynamite works, though. :D

What our BH operator used to do at the start of every dig, especially if we thought clay/muck was going to be an issue, is spray the bucket with diesel fuel or hydraulic oil on the inside. We usually knew well in advance because we always took core samples before the first dig. If it was the wonderful sandy loam that we found at the majority of sites, nothing needed, just start digging. The bucket would be shiny in about 5 minutes. Otherwise, he'd dig a while, and if he had to bump the bucket to empty it, he'd spray it again. He'd repeat the cycle until the bucket got shiny inside, and the dirt would just slip off the polished steel.

The EPA and bunny kissers would probably frown on spraying diesel on the bucket now, but surely, there's SOMETHING that can be sprayed in the bucket to slip the dirt. We built some pools in AWFUL places, including one where we had to put the dirt in so we could dig it out to fit the pool. We had to build a 16 foot high 12inch thick retainer wall because of the slope in the yard, backfill and compact it, then dig the pool contour in it. I do not miss that job.

NWAZL3560

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, LA805 loader, BH77 backhoe, rock bucket, box blade, pallet forks
Jun 11, 2018
Mesquite, NV
I have a 12" and 16", I think that's a perfect setup. 12" for trenching, 16" for other stuff. In the desert we don't have wet dirt, but when it's moist sometimes I have to jar the 12" a few times for it to clear.