BF300A front cylinder issue

rpage83

Equipment
B8200HST-D,BF300 loader, BK4520 backhoe, FL1021R tiller
Jun 21, 2012
Utah
I have a bf300A that has an issue with the front cylinder pair. I took the bucket off to work on it, and had to retract the rods, and only the RH cylinder(sitting on tractor) retracted??????
I have taken both cylinders off, and tested with air only, to feel if the other has a bypass leak? It tested out ok, just for an air test.
Is there a bypass issue or could i have a plugged line going to the other cylinder???

PLEASE help!

Thanks

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
One cylinder going in is semi normal, after the first cylinder hits the bottom of it's stroke the second cylinder should move.

rpage83

Equipment
B8200HST-D,BF300 loader, BK4520 backhoe, FL1021R tiller
Jun 21, 2012
Utah
So, is this due to a poor engineering design, or do I have an issue. I just doesnt make any sense to have one cylinder do the work, then have the other chime in to hold the weight.

Should I bleed the lines and check if I have a air lock? It didnt have a bouncy action, or surging.

LOST:confused:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Let me see if I can explain it better.
It not a design defect and you don't have a problem.
It's just that the fluid will travel to the path of least resistance, The one that's moving just slides a little easier than the other.
When both cylinders are connected to the bucket they will both work at the same rate and with the same force, in fact they divide the force between the two to give you more force than one could do on its own.

If you put even the smallest amount of resistance on the cylinder that's moving the other will start to move, so you don't have a problem. Now if one cylinder goes all the way to the end and the other never moves that a problem, that would mean blown internal seals (Rare event).
It's not air in the lines, and if it was it will bleed itself out in a matter of a few stokes back and forth, no need to assist it by opening the lines like you do if you run it out of diesel.