Beware of aftermarket pistons

Muggman

Jun 11, 2022
SC
There were no markings, plain brown box. I think most are made by the same manufacturer. Just labeled by the distributor. If the wrist pin had been the same weight I would have used it, but 50 more dollars I could have went oem to start with. Oem didn't come with pin, I used the original. I'm using the aftermarket rings though. I got about .012 on the top ring. About .016 on 2nd. About .012 on the oil ring. If my memory is right. I did a light hone. I got some miner visible up/down scratches, but I'm not going to go more.
I left it at this stage waiting on a piston, I gave it a touch more to make sure any moisture haze would be eliminated right before I dropped the piston. I wonder how much of a ring gap one would have to be wore out, I think min. compression is about 330 lb. I think spec is 416 to 469 new. I'm still over 400 on the other 2 cyl.

Muggman

Jun 11, 2022
SC
The wrist pin..... it's the big weight difference in the op chart of weights. The piston it's self isn't enough to matter. Actually non of it would have been detrimental to the engine. After all, I just watched that video of the guy cleaning up a boat anchor and running it down a river.
I am interested to know if you checked fit with the original wrist pin with the aftermarket piston? How are you deciding what is too tight, and why would you like loose tolerances? That is the exact opposite of what was beaten in my head at the machine shop. Clearances to the small side of factory spec if possible, they can only get bigger as the wear.
Also not uncommon to have to heat pistons to get the wrist pin in. They will loosen up when the engine is up to temp.
I fired up the d722 today. It ran good, no smoke out exhaust and none out of the crankcase vent. When I acquired it leaked everywhere and ran on 2 cyl. And smoked out the crankcase vent. Someone has finger freaked the idle adjustment and maybe even the governor spring to compensate. I only let it run a short time. I checked everything and noticed the head gasket is leaking water. I didn't like the new headgasket but tried it anyway. SO, I'm back to pulling the head back off. I may just buy a kubota head gasket this time around. The head and block looked good and I checked the valves, I may have head surface checked this time. To many unknowns.

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
I fired up the d722 today. It ran good, no smoke out exhaust and none out of the crankcase vent. When I acquired it leaked everywhere and ran on 2 cyl. And smoked out the crankcase vent. Someone has finger freaked the idle adjustment and maybe even the governor spring to compensate. I only let it run a short time. I checked everything and noticed the head gasket is leaking water. I didn't like the new headgasket but tried it anyway. SO, I'm back to pulling the head back off. I may just buy a kubota head gasket this time around. The head and block looked good and I checked the valves, I may have head surface checked this time. To many unknowns.
You have a straight edge, and some feeler guages? Pretty easy to check for warpage.

Muggman

Jun 11, 2022
SC
You have a straight edge, and some feeler guages? Pretty easy to check for warpage.
I'm not familiar with the style head gasket that came in gasket kit. (Aftermarket) The new gasket was a laminated metal thing with a black coating. It may seal if it was gotten hot enough, I don't know. I would have rather had gasket with some fiber composite coating.

Dieseldonato

Equipment
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
I'm not familiar with the style head gasket that came in gasket kit. (Aftermarket) The new gasket was a laminated metal thing with a black coating. It may seal if it was gotten hot enough, I don't know. I would have rather had gasket with some fiber composite coating.
Multi layer steel gaskets are pretty common anymore, the old graphite style seems to be going the way of the dodo bird. Can't comment on what kubota supplies. Last one I rebuilt was pretty much all aftermarket.

Muggman

Jun 11, 2022
SC
Multi layer steel gaskets are pretty common anymore, the old graphite style seems to be going the way of the dodo bird. Can't comment on what kubota supplies. Last one I rebuilt was pretty much all aftermarket.
Last engine I worked on was a 5.7 hemi and it was multilayer steel buti used Mopar or felpro gaskets. If you work on newer model cars you better use factory oem sensors period. And try to use oem lifters rings and such if the price ain't over 50% more. Seen alot of new aftermarket sensors cause problems. The head gasket might have been my fault but them composite gaskets are a little more forgiving. Alot of old school dragster builders still put the metal gaskets on them small block Chevrolet if the running iron heads, but that's about over with too. I'm going to buy a graphite 1 to go back with. I did put the oring on the oil tube because the gasket had the big cutout. I know people ask whether 2 use it or not, I have seen gaskets that look like a sealing ring built in. I got the fuel and oil leaks stopped. I got the front pinion leak stopped. Still got the hydraulic leaks to go. No one would have fixed this tractor but me. It should have been parted out but I'm hard headed. If the had gasket would have sealed I would have been sheeting in high cotton.

Dieseldonato

Equipment
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Pretty sure you only need the oring if there's a cut out for it. Haven't actually seen one without the cut out though. Can't imagine why you would use one.

Muggman

Jun 11, 2022
SC
Pretty sure you only need the oring if there's a cut out for it. Haven't actually seen one without the cut out though. Can't imagine why you would use one.
I can't find any clear info on the oring. I'm not a kubota person. This is my first. The block and head have no groove but the headgasket has a hole about the size of a dime.and the pin is about 1/4 inch. The oring isn't very thick so I figured it will flatten to the head gasket thickness. I see what the oring looks like when I pull the head again.

Dieseldonato

Equipment
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
I can't find any clear info on the oring. I'm not a kubota person. This is my first. The block and head have no groove but the headgasket has a hole about the size of a dime.and the pin is about 1/4 inch. The oring isn't very thick so I figured it will flatten to the head gasket thickness. I see what the oring looks like when I pull the head again.
It will be flat as a pancake.

Dieseldonato

Equipment
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
I see you have some cub cadets. I have 2 cub cyclops I want to part with, I have a post in sell and trade.
Thanks for the offer, were a bit far apart though. I'm actually in the process of getting rid of most of my cub collection. Only planning on keeping the 582 and possibly the 782. The 582 will be for sentimental reasons and partially because it has a cat 0 3 point and I have a lot of cat 0 attachments. The 782 I just rebuilt and swapped a m18 into. Truthfully the yanmar is twice the lawn mower the cubs are but parts are a pain to get for it.

johndeerebones

Equipment
B7200 HST-D RC-60-72, L4200 GST MFWD with FEL
Aug 17, 2020
USA
Unless you're building high revving puller 20 grams is nothing.