best tool for taking a bit of sideslope out of a farm trail

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Cut a section to your liking with the box scraper. Get it flat. Go higher than you think on the low side because it will compact. Get the first section flat, large enough to get your tractor flat. Turn around and use the front end loader taking small bites and dumping to the low side. Keep your tractor flat and level.

Did it that way for years on very steep hillsides. The key is to not get to close to the edge, esp with a bucket full

Rear blades have no downforce and although they look like it's what you need. It isn't.

Or, rent a dozer and operator and he'll knock it out real fast.

You want to cut more than you fill. If you understand that. If it's real steep cut is everything. Keep your tractor on the cut only. Until it compacts.

Check this out. Minute 3:30 to 4:30 is the method.

Pretty nice technique to cut a deep side slope in a steep bank. Not sure the OP needs that for his situation, but thanks for sharing. I hadn’t thought of doing it that way.

Reactions: 1 user

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
I don't want a proper road here, I just wanted to knock down some of the side slope, which I have done, potential erosion is a major reason why. I want the side slope to remain...., just not quite so much, so I may or may not make another pass or two at it. I sold my box blade, after not using it for two years after paving my drive and parking area, so I'll make do with the back blade.

Reactions: 2 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Certainly makes sense to make do with what you have. It’ll work, just take some time.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
I’d just use the FEL. I built a 14’ wide, 200’ long path crossing a slope with my L. The cut ended up being about 2’ high. Took me about 3 or 4 hours. The cut material went on the fill side. Your need is about 5% that much earth work.

You just need a low spot to start the first bucket full. Do that by turning the tractor as near sideways as you can to the path and make a depression on the cut side as long as the wheelbase. Then drop the tractor in that depression and adjust your cut depth with the FEL as needed.

Reactions: 1 user

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I don't want a proper road here, I just wanted to knock down some of the side slope, which I have done, potential erosion is a major reason why. I want the side slope to remain...., just not quite so much, so I may or may not make another pass or two at it. I sold my box blade, after not using it for two years after paving my drive and parking area, so I'll make do with the back blade.
Sounds like you did it with your blade. Good stuff.

If ever you must have a box scraper you could probably borrow one from a OTT member who lives close to you. They are almost unbreakable and as common as dirt.

Edit: The rule at my house is unless I really need the money, I don't sell tools because I will probably need it again someday.

To me, a box scraper is almost as important as a front end loader on a compact or utility tractor. But, to each his own needs and wants.

Great job making use of what you have.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
but he's only needing a foot to remove...
his blade work is fine as the soil is moist
hard to justify a $500 purchase for one job.
"hard to justify a $500 purchase for one job"

Nah,......that is really age dependent!
I just ordered a $500+ SWAG finger brake for one (small, personal) job.
I am old, and I just wanted to play with THAT tool.
All large tools/machinery that I have I could not ever, "justify"

Last edited: