Best snow plow angle?

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
So 6 or so years ago I took an old snow plow that we had not used in forever and was sitting blocking an old bridge and made it useful for the additional loader tractor we had purchased. I added power angle which took a bit to get correct and a relif valve for if I hit somthing like a hard pile of ice or hook a big rock on a gravel road. So now we have replaced that tractor with a nice new kubota after the other one fell apart and I now have 3rd function! This makes it much easier to hook up the plow, my issue is I can never get the cylinder mounts in the right spot to get full left and right angle, I will end up with it able to go all the way one way and only half the other or somthing, I have it now so it goes nearly fully to the right but not quite and partially left. I don't usually plow left so I really only need the full right to have to work good. My main curiosity is would I be better off to try to get the angle to go further? Or put some sort of a blocking plate on the one side to help keep snow from backing up and spilling out the left side? It has a pretty decent angle to it but just not enough to prevent snow from overflowing out the left when it is a fair bit of snow on the cleanup pass. Our bigger plow is alot wider and has a fair bit more angle so much less spill over. The craziest thing about this plow is it was home made 100% and actually use the have wheels instead of the normal skiis

Last edited:

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
Is your current setup single cylinder angle or dual cylinder angle?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
It sounds like the A-frame is homemade and wrong dimensions. Every snowplow I've ever had the 'pleasure' to work on in 3 decades could go 'full left to full right'. The pivot point of the blade has to be far enough forward so blade tip doesn't hit tires, the 'limit stops' keeps blade tip infront of outer side of tire( so snow can't get under the vehicle). Have a look at some commercial snow plow setups(take pictures..)
It makes no difference if it's 1 or 2 cylinder setup for 'blade travel', only how/where the cylinder gets mounted.

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
It sounds like the A-frame is homemade and wrong dimensions. Every snowplow I've ever had the 'pleasure' to work on in 3 decades could go 'full left to full right'. The pivot point of the blade has to be far enough forward so blade tip doesn't hit tires, the 'limit stops' keeps blade tip infront of outer side of tire( so snow can't get under the vehicle). Have a look at some commercial snow plow setups(take pictures..)
It makes no difference if it's 1 or 2 cylinder setup for 'blade travel', only how/where the cylinder gets mounted.
Oh no the plow itself can go full both ways I'm just bad at figuring out exactly whare to weld the mounts so that the cylinders can make it go full both ways. Our other tractor plow is a purchased commercial grade plow, although it uses really short cylinders close to the pivot point. It works pretty decent I just always like to improve, would prefer to have to max out both ways but it's hard to get it right so it's not trying to push one cylinder too far out but also not binding on the retract.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
OK, picture is better now.....
install both cylinders on the blade section, I'm assuming there are mounts already....
push in one cylinder(manually ) to make it 'fully retracted'
pull out the other... to make it 'fully extended'
rotate blade fully left, mark where the cylinders tangs meet the Aframe on both sides
do the same but full right
split the difference between the two marks,that should be the 'sweet' spot.
this will allow blade to go full left-full right.
easier to see it in person than writing about it.....

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
I guess maybe I should have tack welded and experimented rather than welding it solid as soon as I think it's correct

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
OK, picture is better now.....
install both cylinders on the blade section, I'm assuming there are mounts already....
push in one cylinder(manually ) to make it 'fully retracted'
pull out the other... to make it 'fully extended'
rotate blade fully left, mark where the cylinders tangs meet the Aframe on both sides
do the same but full right
split the difference between the two marks,that should be the 'sweet' spot.
this will allow blade to go full left-full right.
easier to see it in person than writing about it.....
Yea the splitting the difference is whare i mess up. Cylinders are too long as well which is part of it, if i move the left mount in ill get full right all the way to the stop and partial left so I may do that. I don't usually drive down the left side of the road lol. I'm all out of acetylene and i made really thick mounts so that could be fun to move haha.

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
Yea the splitting the difference is whare i mess up. Cylinders are too long as well which is part of it, if i move the left mount in ill get full right all the way to the stop and partial left so I may do that. I don't usually drive down the left side of the road lol. I'm all out of acetylene and i made really thick mounts so that could be fun to move haha.
Yeah once you cut them off I'd either use C clamps or tack it until you find what works best. Here is a picture of my Land Pride blade if it is helpful. Sorry for the snow as its been busy lately.

Attachments

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
Yeah once you cut them off I'd either use C clamps or tack it until you find what works best. Here is a picture of my Land Pride blade if it is helpful. Sorry for the snow as its been busy lately.
That's more the way I did mine with the large longer cylinders, our big plow is weird, short cyliders almost parallel with the blade, but it works good so whatever works. Yea plows have been hard at work lately haha. Good thing about this home built one I'm always tinkering with is it's very heavy, so if you keep it floating the weight helps from pushing the front end over. Plus the new kubota has radials so that helps grab better too.

Reactions: 1 user

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
Your plow looks nice, what's that attached too?
Thank you. Its attached to an LX2610 that I got earlier this month. Still working on finishing the 3rd function install which is why the hoses are coiled up and the pin is still in. I was very happy with it clearing the two feet of snow that we got on Thursday.

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
Thank you. Its attached to an LX2610 that I got earlier this month. Still working on finishing the 3rd function install which is why the hoses are coiled up and the pin is still in. I was very happy with it clearing the two feet of snow that we got on Thursday.
Compact tractors can really do alot, way more than I ever expected. I have full sized tractors but I know alot of people with the compacts that do a ton with them.

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
Compact tractors can really do alot, way more than I ever expected. I have full sized tractors but I know alot of people with the compacts that do a ton with them.
Agreed. The mid frame compact size was best for my property and my needs. It doesn't perform tasks as quickly as full size utility tractors, but if you have a solid plan and reasonable expectations, you can accomplish a great deal.

Last edited:

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
Agreed. The mid frame compact size was best for my property and my needs. It doesn't perform tasks as quickly as full size utility tractors, but if you have a solid plan and reasonable expectations, you can accomplish a great deal.
This plow is on an m5-095 narrow series... 95 or 91? I forget now. But it's a fantastic tractor sofar. I love my 3rd function toggle.

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
This plow is on an m5-095 narrow series... 95 or 91? I forget now. But it's a fantastic tractor sofar. I love my 3rd function toggle.
Sounds like a great setup and I can't wait to get the 3rd function finished on mine.

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
I got more angle, full right and a bit more left, seems to be enough to the right to do the job. It is a very solid very homemade rig,

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
the 'best' angle depends on a zilllion factors like snow texture, water density', vehicle speed, blade length, road conditions, etc.
the 'trick' is get it 'far,far away' the FIRST time !!