Best Rear Cat 1 snow blower

GrassLakeRon

Equipment
B8200HST-DP , RC60-82h Mower Deck, Woods RB6 Rear Blade
Oct 27, 2023
Grass Lake, Michigan
Hi all,

Is there a consensus on the best rear cat 1 snow blower? What seems to hold up the best? Thanks for your insight....

Ron

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
If you're in a area that gets a shitload of snow or are going to use it as a business get a Pronovost

If you are going to use it a few times a year like most of us just about any decent brand name one will hold up just fine. Woods, Landpride, MK Martin, Rad Tech, etc... The only ones I'd probably stay away from would be the cheap Chinese made models like the old saying goes you get what you pay for. :) Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Reactions: 1 users

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I cant speak for other brands but, I have a Pronovost Lynx 52 rear 3 point. It is crude, it is tough and simple, it works very well. I've only had it 3 years but it has been trouble free and easy to maintain. It was easy to convert to electric chute control as well. I don't believe Pronos are 3 point QH compatible but not difficult to convert.

I dont think you can go wrong with any reputable name brand. For rear 3 point blowers, like a tiller, I think generally they are all pretty similar in function & design.

My dad has a front mount Land Pride, more comfortable to operate, its effective, but we have spent some bit of time repairing it over the years. It's been through two gear boxes as well.

and dont forget your winter covers from birddogger!

Very slight modification for QH - wider bottom pins, and augmentation of top link

It will churn through wet heavy snow and ask for more

Last edited:

MINICUP28

Equipment
B7610, KX-018, RTV-500, JD X758
Feb 21, 2019
COBLESKILL, NY
I've had this MK Martin for almost 15 years now. Just put a new chain on it. It gets a lot of use.

MKMARTIN.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I cant speak for other brands but, I have a Pronovost Lynx 52 rear 3 point. It is crude, it is tough and simple, it works very well. I've only had it 3 years but it has been trouble free and easy to maintain. It was easy to convert to electric chute control as well. I don't believe Pronos are 3 point QH compatible but not difficult to convert.

I dont think you can go wrong with any reputable name brand. For rear 3 point blowers, like a tiller, I think generally they are all pretty similar in function & design.

My dad has a front mount Land Pride, more comfortable to operate, its effective, but we have spent some bit of time repairing it over the years. It's been through two gear boxes as well.

Very slight modification for QH - wider bottom pins, and augmentation of top link

It will churn through wet heavy snow and ask for more

NJ is NOT the place to be in Winter!
But......For many years, I lived in MN, so who am I to make a recommendation?
Snow removal is quite far back in my rear view mirror of life.
Nice looking piece of equipment though.

Last edited:

GreX

Equipment
BX2380
Jan 8, 2023
Maine
I have the Land Pride SB1051 - I've only used it this last winter, but it's three years old and looks brand new. It is not fancy, in that its a manual chute rotation and deflection, but it tears through snow, snow banks, and slush (sort of) much better than my walk behind. It's very easy to operate, just a pain to store in the summer given how large it is, but I'm very happy to have that thing, especially up here in Maine.

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
I had a 50" Buhler cat 1, 3pt manual chute adjustment blower.. I'm sure this same manufacturer had them out under a number of different names... I got it used, gave it a good tune up, tightened the chute rotation cable and greased the chute where it rotated.. Adjusted the skid shoes and cleaned it well after each season.. It was cheap, easy to maintain and worked well..

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
just a pain to store in the summer given how large it is
💡

have you tried storing it in your basement during the off season? 😂

Last edited:

GreX

Equipment
BX2380
Jan 8, 2023
Maine
💡

have you tried storing it in your basement during the off season? 😂

Amazing! Mine wouldn't fit as its a walk in basement and the door is a standard door, luckily I have a separate garage for the tractor and attachments, its just a big footprint.