Best place to put lift chain on bucket of loader

SinNH

Equipment
L3430 JD 870 Volvo EC35
Sep 26, 2020
NH
It seems best to lift things with the loader in a way that divides the weight equally between the loader arms, to prevent twisting/tweaking of the assembly.

Personally I would not lift from one arm OR the corner of the bucket.

Center of the bucket with one chain, or two chains equally spaced from the center point is the way I do it.

We can all do what we want, but I try to minimize the chances of damage so that is what I do.
Agree. Center of bucket for even weight between loader arms. Some buckets need added iron before welding the hook on, my 870 has a 1 1/2" iron pipe with a half inch wall the entire width of the bucket, always took the punishment easily.

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
I attached my hooks to 3 links of grade 70 chain and bolted them to the corners of the bucket with grade 8 bolts as seen below. The holes were already in the bucket.
View attachment 56449
This provides for some swiveling action of the hooks as works very well.
Trouble is it blocks your view that way it seems. Seems it would be better out on the bottom lip, but what do I know.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
My common practice is to attach the chain to both hooks and suspend the load from the center point beneath the bucket.
DSCN0290.JPG

This is a much earlier picture showing a 20' chain across the bucket. I now can use two shorter chains attached to the hooks on the bucket. Handling logs like this keeps them level and under control.

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
My common practice is to attach the chain to both hooks and suspend the load from the center point beneath the bucket.
View attachment 56647
This is a much earlier picture showing a 20' chain across the bucket. I now can use two shorter chains attached to the hooks on the bucket. Handling logs like this keeps them level and under control.
Looks like a good method...

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
Either place can work, but I think you need to pay attention to what’s strong. I’m planning to put hooks on top because my bucket is reinforced on top and that’s where I’m welding over the loader cylinders.

I will make a short length of chain to go between the hooks and attach a slide type hook in the middle, and cover the “bridle” with tubular nylon for each section.

Sorry, no pictures yet. I’ve been mowing, but hopefully tomorrow or the next since it’s supposed to rain.
Sounds like a good idea!

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
I use my clamp on bucket hitch ball/hook setup for the light stuff. (1st pic)
I have a 5/16 chain with a removable grab hook that I pass through the welded angle I added on top my bucket for the heavy stuff. (2nd pic)
I think maybe that ball mount which I love could be modified from 1 of those bucket foots that slides on the bottom of bucket to keep bucket from digging in. I'm more interested in the chain hook than the ball.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
That old ~1965 Oliver seen above in Reply #23 was a monster for lifting a load. Maybe some day if I ever get aroundtuit, I'll get her going again. :rolleyes: Hopefully anyway.

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
Just got my pair of Edge Tamers today. I think they would work as a chain attachment and no welding or drilling. I will try putting a chain across from one to the other with a short chain in the middle or just a place for a slide hook. With the bucket lip held high the chains should stay on the Edge Tamers by just looping them around the tamer and hooking a grab hook into the link. What does anyone think?

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I think the bottom of the bucket is fine as long you don’t want to support the load againts anything. It would be suspended mid air with nothing to keep it from spinning. That’s also assuming the edge tamers don’t move.

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
Titan makes these which are basically a removable bolt on hook. They don't list a weight limit though...

Reactions: 1 user

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Yeah, I've thought about it, but with my current situation, (the caregiver thing) it's just not practical.
Feel free to duplicate or improve on it! Isn't imitation the sincerest form of flattery? :)
A friend at work retired Air Force guy says is ok to shamelessly beg, borrow and steal ideas!

Gosh I have taken many ideas from here and duplicated them or modified them for my needs. Hope someone has used some of my ideas to meet a need they had.

Last edited:

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
I think the bottom of the bucket is fine as long you don’t want to support the load againts anything. It would be suspended mid air with nothing to keep it from spinning. That’s also assuming the edge tamers don’t move.
Yes, I don't know how a person would get around the spinning unless tie with rope or?

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
Titan makes these which are basically a removable bolt on hook. They don't list a weight limit though...

Good, Have not seen these. Seems like a winner!

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ

Looks good, the only caution I would put forth is that your bucket edge has to be pointing up for a vertical lift; seems like if it was level, a straight pull might slide it off the bucket.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I notice that no load rating is listed in the specifications. This would indicate to me that it's rating/ability is minimal.

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
I notice that no load rating is listed in the specifications. This would indicate to me that it's rating/ability is minimal.
That was a concern of mine also. You don't want to suddenly find that your over capacity and have the unit fail with a 500lb box blade hanging over the side of your truck or something else far more valuable.

Last edited:

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
Looks good, the only caution I would put forth is that your bucket edge has to be pointing up for a vertical lift; seems like if it was level, a straight pull might slide it off the bucket.
Yes, I tried out the Edge Tamers today lifting a large outboard motor with a chain attached to 2 of these, one on each side with a slide hook in the middle. I pulled each edge tamer but as they were attached close each side the tamers wedged themselves against the sides....but at one point the chain came off one side, luckily without much weight on at the time. Don't think this is a good idea and will not use again. My bolt on hooks arrived today so will install them and try them out soon.