Best method to remove top plate of gear box on Woods rotary cutter?

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx
I need to change the grease in the gear box..........It seems most recommend method is siphoning out the grease thru either the fill opening or the level fill opening. Some even recommend tilting the cutter on it's side.........not doable for me!!

My preference would be to have more access for this process, so I removed the bolts on the top plate, and gave it a couple of gentle taps and it didn't want to move........so.........any recommendations on safely removing this top plate? Thanks in advance for any all help!!

FWIW, the owners manual states, "use silicone sealer between cap and housing".........I assume this is the method used when it was originally assembled.

Registration  7.jpeg

Last edited:

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Is it grease or gear oil?

I think I'd lever it with something a bit, to break the seal on the silicone. Maybe a screwdriver, maybe it needs a blade of some sort to get under it without burring it.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I need to change the grease in the gear box..........It seems most recommend method is siphoning out the grease thru either the fill opening or the level fill opening. Some even recommend tilting the cutter on it's side.........not doable for me!!

My preference would be to have more access for this process, so I removed the bolts on the top plate, and gave it a couple of gentle taps and it didn't want to move........so.........any recommendations on safely removing this top plate? Thanks in advance for any all help!!

FWIW, the owners manual states, "use silicone sealer between cap and housing".........I assume this is the method used when it was originally assembled.

View attachment 118113
If it aint broke dont fix it till ot is.

Put the bolts back, remove the plug, and top off as needed.

Dan

Reactions: 4 users

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

View attachment 118113
Should come right off with a little persuasion. If it has a gasket, replace the gasket with a new one. No doubt your dealer will need to order one.

I use a vacuum tank intended for changing engine oil in boat engines. Works well when gearbox oil is hot after use. I change the 90W in all of my mower gearboxes every 3-4 years due to water contamination from condensation.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Use a thin blade after cutting the paint at the joint with a razor blade knife first.

Use something like a metal putty knife.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
yes, a sharp wide stiff putty knife seems to be the best tool, using gentle taps with a SMALL hammer, once it's split a bit 'follow' the split using gentle taps.

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx
Should come right off with a little persuasion. If it has a gasket, replace the gasket with a new one. No doubt your dealer will need to order one.

I use a vacuum tank intended for changing engine oil in boat engines. Works well when gearbox oil is hot after use. I change the 90W in all of my mower gearboxes every 3-4 years due to water contamination from condensation.
Thanks.........great recommendation

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx
yes, a sharp wide stiff putty knife seems to be the best tool, using gentle taps with a SMALL hammer, once it's split a bit 'follow' the split using gentle taps.
Jay, sounds like the finishing touch to get that top removed.......thanks!!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I can usually get the heads off small B&S engines with my 'custom ground' putty knife AND reuse the head gasket. OK reusing the gasket is a 'nono' but as long as it's not torn or slit, they work just fine.
Patience.. you also have to have PATIENCE.