Best implement to open sod to plant

tims

Equipment
9540 L48
Feb 26, 2013
DeMotte In
What is the best implement to use to open new sod in sand loam and later plant it? Am using a 9540, how big can we go?
Thnx
Tims

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
Best best would probably be plow to turn sod under then till it, but I have done it with just a 3pt tiller. First pass set shallow to strip the sod followed by full depth passes a couple days later to work the ground up good for planting.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
You could just use a tiller as suggested or if you have access...

Plow first to break up to depth, then spread the amendments your soil needs, finish up with tiller work for final.

Plowing is usually faster than just tilling, but it really depends on how large the plot is we are talking about. If it's over a couple of acres, ditch the tiller and just disk it into final planting state.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I actually used the rippers on my box blade at the neighbors for his garden. He only has a walk behind tiller and wanted to double the size of his garden with the least amount of effort. I just checker boarded it with the rippers and then he went through with the tiller. Cut it down to one pass with the tiller. Sand and loam shouldn't take very much to bust it up.