Best implement for grading— new house site?

mrmurph1965

Equipment
L3901HST, LA525 Loader,
Oct 5, 2021
NWMissouri
A box blade is a very useful tool, however if you have a bunch of grading to to maybe take a look at the land plane. It will do a lot of smoothing an grading quicker than the box blade with has a pretty good learning curve.
I second this option.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
If I could only have one, I would get a landscape rake hands down and I own all of them. I have been using them all regularly for years and years and I would go with the rake in a minute, no question.

With the bucket and rake I could take care of the initial grading and be much better suited to doing maintenance going forward.

I graded over 2 miles of gravel driveways last week alone and use the box blade and rake the most.

The least useful (or single use) IMO is the land plane. It is OK at doing only one thing and it isn't the best at that. You really can't use them "grading" at all, just scalping the high spots and spreading it out is the main function. They are super east to operate though.

So ideally I would want two - the box and the rake.

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
If I could only have one, I would get a landscape rake hands down and I own all of them. I have been using them all regularly for years and years and I would go with the rake in a minute, no question.

With the bucket and rake I could take care of the initial grading and be much better suited to doing maintenance going forward.

I graded over 2 miles of gravel driveways last week alone and use the box blade and rake the most.

The least useful (or single use) IMO is the land plane. It is OK at doing only one thing and it isn't the best at that. You really can't use them "grading" at all, just scalping the high spots and spreading it out is the main function. They are super east to operate though.

They are great for gravel drives, but only if the drive is still workable, if full of deep holes and rocks, only a box blade can fix that. Since my drives are still fairly new, I may look into getting one next year, I suck at the box blade and did more harm than good when I tried it, stuck with just using the loader and rake instead. Now that there are decent videos explaining how to use it, I may give it a try again

A harrow does an awesome job for finish work once the grading is done. It can be configured for 3 different modes, aggressive, where the teeth are forward, mild where the teeth are reversed, or smooth where the teeth are facing up. I have an 8' wide by 4' long and can add 4' to it if needed. Used to use it for the arena when we rode the horses, but it's been hanging in the barn for the past 10 years when the horses got too old to ride. Will be taking it down next year when I redo the lawn around the house to repair where the trees have caused upheaval and ruts from the roots, as well are the back where a new septic is going in.

DDCD

Equipment
1964 MF135, L2501
May 8, 2021
Oklahoma

I have a box blade now and am considering a land plane. I put geogrid under all my roads so they don't sink, they just get a crown over time. I use 1.5" crusher run. Would you still recommend a rake over a land plane? Wondering if the rake would pick up the larger driveway rocks.

Speedybon

Jun 22, 2019
Arroyo Grande
I have both a Landplane and a landscape rake. They both serve me well. I also have a Carryall that I drag with the bottom of truck bed liners with boilerplates for the weight that's my latest. I also used my landscape rake on bed top covers. I worked at a car dealership and the trade-in they removed them. They also work very well hauling leaves for my dumpster with my front pallet forks. We can burn here on the central coast of California. I have eucalyptus leave that I have to pick. I have drugged everything behind my tractor from bed springs to chain link fences. Look into that Carry-All. I did remove some tines from the rake. My landscape rake is made my gearmore. It is a good quality rake. I need to send some pictures. For the land plane I did remove the front blade and just use the rear. I forgot to mention I have real sandy soil.

Reactions: 1 user

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I have a box blade now and am considering a land plane. I put geogrid under all my roads so they don't sink, they just get a crown over time. I use 1.5" crusher run. Would you still recommend a rake over a land plane? Wondering if the rake would pick up the larger driveway rocks.
The rake would be the best for this scenario.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
If you get anything 'outback' that can have hydraulics on it(tilt,angle, ??) , get the dual rear remotes for your BX23S ! The levers fill that empty slot on the right fender.....
If I keep mine, I'll add next spring..

Reactions: 1 user

thirdroc17

Dec 25, 2013
Michigan
What do they use to grade roads? What do they use to prepare roadbeds for paving?

Mid mount grader blades.

40 years ago, they were common attachments because they work. Today, you'll have to build your own as I did.

hoening

Equipment
BX23S w/FEL,BH,& Snowblower, York Rake, Box Scraper
Jan 2, 2011
Cary, IL
If you get anything 'outback' that can have hydraulics on it(tilt,angle, ??) , get the dual rear remotes for your BX23S ! The levers fill that empty slot on the right fender.....
If I keep mine, I'll add next spring..
The rear remote kit from Kubota is not compatible with the bx23s with the backhoe. I purchased the kit and plan to see if I can get it to work. The main problem is the tubes coming to the connectors interfere with the additional frame added for the backhoe from what I’ve been told. I also plan to start this in the spring, and will share if I’m able to make the install. Would appreciate any feedback if others have tried and had success or had to go another way. I’m hoping it can be adapted so I can add a hydraulic thumb for the backhoe as well as hydraulic top link and tilt for my box blade and York rake.

maresand

Jul 6, 2022
USA
Hello, thank you for sharing your problems here, ravensview. In my opinion box blade will be a really good option in your situation, as well as using the bx23s. This is the best option for you. If you are setting your home site, I would suggest you plan the placement of the eavestrough before you will set the wall, because if you will get windows. They will not be covered with the proper eavestrough, especially if your windows go to driveaway, you will regret it. You will pay for jalousie even more, compared with the regular eavestrough.

Last edited: