Best implement for grading— new house site?

ravensview

Equipment
bx23slb
Nov 18, 2019
U.P.,MI,USA
Hello all,
I am looking to get info on what the best implement would be to grade around a newly built home site, I am running a bx23s, I need to regrade some areas (like the slope away from the basement foundation, and lower deck area location, I also need to do some recountering of areas, then the driveway ( that will be mostly maintenance - I am thinking a box blade), I also have a lot of rock to remove from the fill and topsoil, I got a lot more questions but will ask more as those needs arise, the site does have a few sloped areas.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
The box blade is a great tool for leveling and grading, it is a very versatile implement.

Reactions: 1 user

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
Landscape rake (also referred as a rock rake) for light smoothing and raking out clumps and rocks prior to seeding. It was a life saver for me. If you don't see much use for one other than this project maybe you could rent one for a weekend? Or buy an inexpensive one then sell it.

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I use a 3by6(??) by 8' chunk of C -channel with3 sections of cutup tractor tire chain,kinda 'stitched' together. Does a great job of levelling gravel road, RAPped yard and 1/2ac veggie garden. Just a few quick laps and everything is picture purrfect !

ravensview

Equipment
bx23slb
Nov 18, 2019
U.P.,MI,USA
Thanks all, I have been thinking about the box blade, which ones work on the bx23s the best, the rake is another one I will be getting for sure, I have dragged a 6x6x8’ timber behind my atv for maintening my old driveway before and also used the expanded metal gate off of the back of my trailer and it did well, but now I need the ability to add a slope/grade to my site

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
For your tractor you want a 48”, maybe 54” tops.

They vary greatly by weight; some are better built than others.
Mine is a 48”, probably medium duty. Got it used and it’s my favorite implement by far.
They do take a little experience to get the knack of using them, but once you get it they’re great.
The knack is really just learning to adjust the top link length to accomplish what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottyD

Equipment
L3560
Apr 28, 2020
Mississippi
Box blade all the way. I use the landpride BB2572 on my L3560. It is a beast. It replaced a similar version my father had that was 40 years old last year. I’m a residential contractor and have used a box blade around the jobsite for years. Whether clearing a lot, backfilling and leveling a house floor, grading the yard, cutting ditches, moving dirt, prepping a driveway, it is probably the most versatile implement out there. Just a warning though, they take some practice getting going, even frustrating, but once you get the feel for one you can get a near perfect grade every time, and do all of those things listed above and more.

ravensview

Equipment
bx23slb
Nov 18, 2019
U.P.,MI,USA
Thanks ScottyD, I have run skidsteers a bit and same thing till you figure them out, a good operator is fascinating to watch,

skypros

Equipment
BX23s
Jul 2, 2018
Bend, OR
I have been looking at a box blade for well over a year.... I think I have seen just about all of them.
Last Sunday, I finally put a order in for a 48" Land Shark
Rick called me the next day to confirm the shipping time and cost and I should have it in about a month.
Even with shipping.... Everything Attachments box blade is less expensive than their competitors, and it is designed for a sub-compact tractor.
Land Pride makes a nice one too..... But I don't like how the ripper shanks work.

https://www.everythingattachments.c...Box-Blades-Land-Shark-p/ls-scmp-bb-ea-5.0.htm

Popgadget

Equipment
L6060
Mar 11, 2020
PA
I’ll second the box blade for being the Swiss Army knife of grading tools. I’ve got an 84” King Kutter that I’ve had for almost 40 years as well as an 8’ York Rake that hasn’t been used since I got the box scraper.

Weight helps them a lot, the King Kutter is pretty light, and needs to be about 1/2 full to really work well. With that in mind, I’d suggest getting a good heavy duty one.

Top link adjustment is critical as well as angle. If you have rear remotes, it’s a great application for hydraulic TNT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

npalen

Equipment
B9200
Feb 10, 2016
Beloit, KS
The only thing better than a box blade or landscape rake is either of them with gauge wheels behind.
Let the 3PH float and the gauge wheels will ensure level grading.

wozza

Equipment
BX2370
Mar 12, 2017
Perth, Western Australia
I've done all those things with just a box blade. One of the biggest jobs I did was construct a shed pad (12m x 7m shed) that required a 600mm cut in the back corner and 600mm build up in the front corner and retaining slope. All done with my box blade and BX2370.

Attachments

ravensview

Equipment
bx23slb
Nov 18, 2019
U.P.,MI,USA
Will look look into getting a box blade and adding the guide wheels, especially with using it on the back of my bx 23, it has an inching valve for the three point hitch instead of set increments, hopefully I can figure it out when the time comes, thanks for the reply’s

greenacresnorth

Equipment
L2501,BH77
Feb 18, 2018
Morganton,NC
Will look look into getting a box blade and adding the guide wheels, especially with using it on the back of my bx 23, it has an inching valve for the three point hitch instead of set increments, hopefully I can figure it out when the time comes, thanks for the reply’s
If you have enough finish grading and rock picking that you can justify the cost, look at a Harley Rake. I have had mine for 2 years now and my box blade hasnt moved since. most all the heavy dirt moving is done with the loader and then a few passes with the harley rake and it looks perfect, also great for rock picking, depending on the gate settings you can classify material at the drum and set it at an angle to kick the rocks into furrows to be picked up by the loader.

ravensview

Equipment
bx23slb
Nov 18, 2019
U.P.,MI,USA
Will have to check the Harley rake out, thanks I got a lotta rocks, been hand picking em and throwing them in the front bucket, but something to gather them up and remove them while seated sounds a lot more appealing

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
All I can add is you have a BX. Do not forget that! :)

My BX with foam filled tires for added weight/stability soon runs out of traction.

Box blades are great. But if I were to get one for my BX I would get the narrowest that would cover my tracks. Box blades do require significant pull to function. No fun if the tractor just spins its tires when you are trying to get something done.

I use my box blade with my B2910 so no need for one on the BX. I can tell you that pulling my 6' landscape rake behind the BX works, but not up hill for sure. Soon run out of traction. Such is life with the BX...

Reactions: 1 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
A box blade is a very useful tool, however if you have a bunch of grading to to maybe take a look at the land plane. It will do a lot of smoothing an grading quicker than the box blade with has a pretty good learning curve.

Reactions: 3 users

MattN03

Equipment
2011 B3200, LA504 FEL w/B2366 SSQA conversion, BH76 BH, EA Wicked 55
Sep 5, 2016
KY
If you have enough finish grading and rock picking that you can justify the cost, look at a Harley Rake. I have had mine for 2 years now and my box blade hasnt moved since. most all the heavy dirt moving is done with the loader and then a few passes with the harley rake and it looks perfect, also great for rock picking, depending on the gate settings you can classify material at the drum and set it at an angle to kick the rocks into furrows to be picked up by the loader.
What Harley Rake are you using on your tractor? Any pics of it?

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
Skeets hit the nail on the head and the Land Pride GC0548 is the right size and weight for your machine. You'll get it done and be happy you did it yourself with the BX. Click the link below for more info.

Land Pride GS0548