Best Attachment for Finishing a Lawn

qthews

Equipment
L3400
Jan 4, 2016
Spencer, MA
Hello, I plan on Tilling and york raking a large area that I am going to turn into a finished lawn in the spring. What is the best attachment for getting a flat and even surface?

I've look at box blades and grader blades and have gotten many different opinions. Open to any suggestions.

This will be pulled behind my L3400

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Just about anything will work. I'd start with the box blade and finish with a york rake.

The most important tool is not what's attached to the tractor. It's the direction you run. If you want to really level the area, and this is true of you want a flat plane or a sloping plane, is to run multiple directions. First run north to south and racetrack it to the center. Then run east to west in the same pattern. And finally run opposing diaganols in both directions. NW to SE and SW to NE. You may have to do it multiple times to get your desired flatness.

Also, if you are using a box blade, after you complete a full run running all directions, lengthen your top link a tad so you are only knocking the tops off high spots. You can continue this process until the box blade is resting solely on the rear blade. Finish with the York rake to make a seed bed and I've always hit it with the rake after seeding as well.

Sent from a field

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Also, if you can find a Harley rake at a local rental yard, those are the cats meow.

Sent from a field

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
And after using all the machinery, drag a 16 foot 4x4.

:)

Bruce

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
And after dragging 4x4 around follow up with a long section of chain link fencing. Tie an angle iron to towing end to keep it from balling up.
I also agree with harley rake. They will powder all the lumps and fill in the holes. I watched a guy tune up a baseball field in late spring, mowed it short and ran around with the harkey rake. Made it like a tabletop.

Last edited:

Central Joe

Equipment
B7100 Grading Blade Disc Roto Tiller Scarifer Rake 48" Finish Mower
Mar 26, 2015
South Carolina
I grug a piece of chain link fence after tilling. Spring came and it looked like carpet. Joe

Porkman

Equipment
L4701
Mar 30, 2015
Western Kentucky
I've had very this good success with this chain harrow. Pulled behind a ATV/UTV or lawn tractor, it works well. I usually do the barbed side down first then flip it over for final smoothing.