Benefits of Windows 10

forceten

Equipment
BX 25d, Grand L6060, Kx040, GL7500, ZD1211 With cab
Sep 4, 2015
New Jersey
I disabled the update requests on all my machines. I will decide when to update not them.

I kept XP for as long as I could and then was finally forced out of it. We are holding steady to 8.1 for as long as we can. Tweaked the hell out of it and its right where we want it. I'm sure down the road I will be forced to jump to windows 14 or something. Until then I hold on just like xp. We have too many older progarms running that just aint gonna work with windows 10. Hell when i had to swap out XP we lost some programs as well.

We run Linux on our NAS network. Much more stable environment. But we need PC's for some of our long time programs to work. So we use both

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Well my laptop was a new dell touchscreen with win 8.1. It was a christmas gift and no sooner did i get it the 10 upgrade came up. I did find it an improvement over 8.1,but as an xp user i find it very uncooperative. I had considered disabling touch screen to see if "apps"stop opening and closing/disappearing on their own.
Plugged in a sd card and there was nothing to access it even though i heard the two tones that tell me it was plugged in.

Unhappy with it. Its mainly because i have difficulty with it. Im not computer savvy, but i have managed my way through computers since before the internet.

Muddling around until i figure it out is not workin in this case.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I worked in IT for 31 years. The main thing with Windows 10 is that it makes positive you use only genuine Microsoft software and will track and delete any outsider software. This ensures that you have to buy all your software programs from Microsoft and not any cheaper aftermarket sites. I personally will keep refusing the upgrade until my laptop dies an old death.
I'm a software developer and run virtual machines with a range of MS OS installs from XP to Win10, and I have no idea what that comment was about. I not only run a range of commercial and open source non-MS software, but also software that I've personally written. Open source, third party, it all runs just as it always has. I've never seen anything to remotely support that statement other than more/better internal checks against pirated software (mostly Chinese/Asian and Eastern Europe counterfeits) and keeping a tighter control on drivers (something that has been getting incrementally tighter with each new version already), which is not a bad thing since a lot of the flack MS caught about blue screens and some of the vulnerability issues were due to poorly written and misbehaving drivers. I've got my own issues with Win10, but that's not among them. The main complaint I have is the heavy handed updates forced down your throat. For my work I need stability, not random unpredictable changes that get applied silently in the middle of the night. But again, I understand that as well because again, people not applying security patches resulted in a lot of problems that MS was again blamed for, even though the main risk exposure for any of the NT kernel OS (not W95, W98, Millineum, etc) has always been the Windows culture insistence on running as admin all the time.

Anyway, all in all I like W10 just for ease of use and good all around performance. The only other Windows option I would consider or recommend for normal use at this time would be Win 8.1, which is when they decided to support desktop use as a first class citizen again.

Last edited:

JimmytheGeek

Equipment
B7200E
Mar 12, 2016
Franklin, KY
I'll agree with you for the most part, Bad Dog. I am slowly upgrading the 40ish computers we have at work to Windows 10. Personally, I think Win10 is better than XP, 7 and 8/8.1, and I only keep it around home because I am addicted to Farming Simulator and my wife & kids like their Sims and Minecraft.

I've found that with each upgrade to Win10, I have to disable Windows "security essentials" and reinstall our paid Avast! Endpoint Protection, because Microsoft think their solution is what everyone needs despite test after test that proves it is an inferior product to most of the top 5 anti-virus programs out there. Other than that, Win10 is a great product, easily the best since Windows 98SE.

My personal workstation at work, where I do all my programming, web design, photo editing, video & audio editing, and all my IT Administrative work is on a self-built machine running Ubuntu 16.04. I have been into Linux since around 2005 because I got tired of Microsoft telling me I had to upgrade my or have a new computer to run their software. Once the Office replacement got to be usable, that's when I switched, because I was in school at the time and had many papers to write. Linux is much more stable than Windows and rarely needs a restart after an update.

Yes, Linux is more obscure and not worth the bad guys' time, but they don't really go after the OS anymore. Now, they go after exploits in the programs you use, like Java, Adobe products, Office, etc. No operating system is immune, but Linux' permissions system makes it much more difficult to hack.