Belly pan on the way!

Whatscooking

Equipment
Grand L 3130. BX2360. RTV900. GRASSHOPPER 721D
May 19, 2021
Indiana
BX EXPANDED sent a email that it is on the way. I have been waiting to use the Landpride bush hog untill i can get the bottom covered on my Bx 2360. I did put the bush hog on when i first got the tractor and equipment only to find grass wrapping around the driveline shaft, thankfully no damage.
I have some chest tall growth that will be used to test out the mower and tractor.
How thick have some of you tackled with your setup?

jameister

Equipment
BX2370
Jul 1, 2021
Cataldo Idaho
bx2370d 2016 model with 380 hours on it. rck60B23BX. used it three days last week to mow northern Idaho 3-4 acres of meadow/pasture. mix of knee high field grasses and low brush with tall thick reed canary grass and several species of sedge. guessing 1-2-3 tons per acre of standing crop. did not bale so just a guess.

compared to last two years when I used a 40 HP New Holland with 72 inch land pride PTO tail dragger. with some standing RCG stands over my head: 72 inches tall or more. it was a chug, taking half swath at a time, half to recut stubble and half new uncut.. cutting more was bogging the big blue tractor, but could make almost 2 mph most of the time..

First: no rain this year since June, and after two years of mowing with bigger tractor, the standing crop was considerably lower.

the little BX2370 did surprisingly well. could only do each cut about 2/3 of width, with effective new cut width of 40 inches, and a 1/3 overlap of prior cut. guessing that the AVERAGE speed with the smaller 23 HP BX was more like 1 mph average. slow and steady wins the race.

most notable side note: I was cutting at max height 4 inch with the BX, whereas the big land pride 72 inch was more like 6 inches from ground to stubble top. a LOT of low brush and branches to 2 inches in the fist several cuts to reclaim old-field.

One smaller field of solid RCG, over 5 feet tall, was so thick I did not attempt with the BX. It would have cut it but truly less than 1 mph, with at least half effective width, and a dull blade... did not wish to push my luck with new to me mower. its a wet field with exceptional density..

as to comfort: the larger wheel base Ford New Holland tractor was more like riding a horse above the grass, whereas the smaller BX was like riding a bucking rough riding mower.... and the shorter wheelbase over rough ground kept speeds down for comfort. the traditional 5 foot tractor wheels roll over uneven ground to no ones surprise.

bottom line: same fuel used for both at 10 gallons per day.

the Ford New Holland is a neighbors borrowed setup, and the BX is mine, otherwise I would use the New Holland.

next year, I will use the BX in June and then a follow up cut later... cutting twice to eliminate the reed canary grass rather than one cut July 4.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
BX EXPANDED sent a email that it is on the way. I have been waiting to use the Landpride bush hog untill i can get the bottom covered on my Bx 2360. I did put the bush hog on when i first got the tractor and equipment only to find grass wrapping around the driveline shaft, thankfully no damage.
I have some chest tall growth that will be used to test out the mower and tractor.
How thick have some of you tackled with your setup?
Curious. Is there a reason you are not using your L3130 for brush hogging? Seems like that would be a better fit for the project you describe...unless maybe the brush hog is a very small one...designed to match the size of the BX.

Whatscooking

Equipment
May 19, 2021
Indiana
What got me started looking for a mower that could mow in low limb tight spots led me to the BX. The deal came with several attachments one of which is a Landpride 42 inch bush hog. I have it adjusted it to fit the tractor and i wanted to try it out. Right now i have a Landpride 84 inch finish mower on the 3130.

Whatscooking

Equipment
May 19, 2021
Indiana
RCR 1542 It cuts out the tire tracks fine. I adjusted the rear of the bush hog up from where was when i got it and now it spits out lots better and doesnt clog.
I figured it would need some weight on the front of the tractor but wasn't needed at all and i was on a slope.
My tractor came with the weight bracket and weights, 5 of them, so i can easly balance things out.
I have a FDR 1660 rear finish mower and have been running with just one weight on but next time i will put on two. This little tractor is a real hoot to operate.
Yesterday I got the Grand L 3130 out to mow. It has a FDR 2584 finish mower on it. I took the loader off before backing out of the shop. As i was driving to the field that 3130 felt like i was driving a huge tractor, compaired to the BX 2360 I guess it is,lol.
I grew up on a farm driving every sort of machine from a D6 CAT to a 750 Massey combine,as big as the house i though back then. We had a 7060 Allis Chalmers there at the end that was so nice.
So when i get on this BX somehow i feel like i am back in the saddle again.