Beginning to troubleshoot starting problems

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Glad you got it running.
SO what was the root cause of the starting problem?
JerryMT, it appears the root cause for the non-start was the interior of the battery cables. I had removed them and cleaned up the terminals but didn't pay any attention to the inside of those cables. That's my best guess anyway.

The non-working gauges is still in question as they re-started on their own. I can't continue to troubleshoot them since they are working...at the moment. My best guess on those is that there is either a loose connection somewhere. Quite a few on this forum had said that it was probably something simple...and they were right.

This tractor, when purchased, turned out to have some incursions to the electrical system. The dash panel has the switches in place for the lighting but the wires are just hanging there in disarray. The rear lights have the wires hanging, too. Headlights would work if I plugged the wires into the actual lights but since they can't be turned off, I just took the wires off the lights. I had had a plan to look into all that wiring but it may be "above my pay grade," so to speak. If I could get the dash panel, seat and ROPS off, I may be able to do something but that is just too much right now. My description is: "it's a jungle." Hope this answers your question.

TG

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Another enhancement to this idea (which is a good one) is that you can use different colors of highlighters, and just mark where the wires start and end at each device, after following out the lines on the schematic diagram...

Looking at the colors tells you the power starts "here", and ends up activating a device or devices "there" (sometimes multiple "there") ...
Good idea, Henro. I'm in the process of studying this diagram and trying to figure things out. It's not terribly difficult but there seems to be several "nodes" where wires come together before they continue to the destination.
If I could see the wires, it would be a lot easier. They are encased in protective covering and often underneath something BIG that has to be removed so it is not clear and no way to know if there's a problem under the protection. I supposed that's not as likely since that's what the protection is for.

At least the tractor is running, even though it's far too hot to be doing anything for the next several days. I don't know how the people who need to work outside can do it. It's just miserable.

Thanks for the suggestion!

TG

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Good idea, Henro. I'm in the process of studying this diagram and trying to figure things out. It's not terribly difficult but there seems to be several "nodes" where wires come together before they continue to the destination.
If I could see the wires, it would be a lot easier. They are encased in protective covering and often underneath something BIG that has to be removed so it is not clear and no way to know if there's a problem under the protection. I supposed that's not as likely since that's what the protection is for.

At least the tractor is running, even though it's far too hot to be doing anything for the next several days. I don't know how the people who need to work outside can do it. It's just miserable.

Thanks for the suggestion!

TG
I can't cook, and if I tried I am sure I would have difficulty understanding the directions or reasons for doing things!

In my case having spent most of my working life involved with electrical systems, troubleshooting is almost second nature. We are all different in our experience though, and what comes easy to one may be difficult for another.

You do not need to see the wires, only need to understand where they start end end. How they get there is ONLY an issue if the voltage that should be at some point does not reach that point.

Glad you got the tractor started. Given time you will figure this out. If you can, use the circuit diagram to understand how things are SUPPOSED to work. This will help is determining what is not actually working when it is supposed to. Then you move on to figuring out what is going on, in other words, what might cause something that should happen, not to happen.

Reactions: 1 users

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Agree, the in-between doesn't matter till its tested. Great advice.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
I can't cook, and if I tried I am sure I would have difficulty understanding the directions or reasons for doing things!

In my case having spent most of my working life involved with electrical systems, troubleshooting is almost second nature. We are all different in our experience though, and what comes easy to one may be difficult for another.

You do not need to see the wires, only need to understand where they start end end. How they get there is ONLY an issue if the voltage that should be at some point does not reach that point.

Glad you got the tractor started. Given time you will figure this out. If you can, use the circuit diagram to understand how things are SUPPOSED to work. This will help is determining what is not actually working when it is supposed to. Then you move on to figuring out what is going on, in other words, what might cause something that should happen, not to happen.

Tractor Gal, that is a whole bunch of excellent advice there from Henro.

Don't be afraid of this - with the help available on this board and your tenacity, we can get you squared away.

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
...far too hot to be doing anything for the next several days. I don't know how the people who need to work outside can do it. It's just miserable.
You get used to it... I'll be in a tyvek suit spraying chemicals on tobacco tomorrow afternoon in Kinston, NC (if we find enough insects there!)

Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
When looking at the wiring diagram remember that the wires will not be connected to each other when they cross each other (unless there is a large dark dot). So for the most part the wire is just like a garden hose from a faucet to the sprinkler and the battery positive post is the highest voltage point (highest pressure) and then flows to the ground point (negative post).

The nodes may be connectors in the wiring but I really don’t understand what you mean

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
JerryMT, it appears the root cause for the non-start was the interior of the battery cables. I had removed them and cleaned up the terminals but didn't pay any attention to the inside of those cables. That's my best guess anyway.

The non-working gauges is still in question as they re-started on their own. I can't continue to troubleshoot them since they are working...at the moment. My best guess on those is that there is either a loose connection somewhere. Quite a few on this forum had said that it was probably something simple...and they were right.

This tractor, when purchased, turned out to have some incursions to the electrical system. The dash panel has the switches in place for the lighting but the wires are just hanging there in disarray. The rear lights have the wires hanging, too. Headlights would work if I plugged the wires into the actual lights but since they can't be turned off, I just took the wires off the lights. I had had a plan to look into all that wiring but it may be "above my pay grade," so to speak. If I could get the dash panel, seat and ROPS off, I may be able to do something but that is just too much right now. My description is: "it's a jungle." Hope this answers your question.

TG
Maybe straightening out the electrical problems is a winter project if you have a warm place to work on it. Congratulations on your persistence in ferreting out the problem.

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
You guys are the best! You help me believe that I really can do the electrical stuff! It's a dangerous time when I think I can do something. There have been numerous times when I thought I could and then made a bigger problem! But, that's just how I'm put together.

Perhaps sometime I can embark on the electrical journey...trying to replace...or splice...some of these wires to make everything (lights) work as it should. It's not a necessity but, you know how it is...you just want things to be right.

Old and Tired, watch yourself in this heat. I know that tobacco needs a lot of TLC to grow but the heat could do a number on you.

Henro, if you're up for it, I may have some questions about this diagram. Compared to many diagrams, this one is quite simple, it seems. That is, if you know what you're doing. But, now we've come full circle! Like a circuit. :)

Thanks again for all the encouragement and help.

TG