Before & After PSI's

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3400DT W/ LA463 FEL and L235DT W/ BF400 Loader
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland
I have a question concerning unloaded and loaded tire pressure. Whether or not the running PSI is different between the two. Case in point, I have 13.6 X 16 tires that according to the book, should be at 14PSI. I've been running 12PSI, as when at 14PSI, only about 5½" of tread makes contact with the ground, whereas when inflated to 12PSI, I have about 9" of the 11"+ total tread width.

I had my tires loaded with RimGuard, so now the question. The tires seem a lot more solid and firm than when they were empty and am wondering the same pressure should be tried? It seems that because of the extra weight of the beet juice, the tire squats more. The installer left the pressure at 16PSI and wonder if my ride would be better with more bounce of the tire. Or is it more "Trial & Error" to find the best PSI.

Ron

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I wouldnt run lower than reccomended pressure, although the ballasted tires will help with stability. Drop to ten, its easier to add air than take it out. With liquid in tires that is. Then increase as needed. Mushy tires arent a good thing on side slopes.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Loaded or unloaded you should run them at the recommended pressures.;)

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3400DT W/ LA463 FEL and L235DT W/ BF400 Loader
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland
My question was not so much as to varying from the recommended tire psi, but is the recommended psi the same or different with a loaded tire. I would assume that the "recommended" psi would be based on unfilled tires, as that is the usual application. I am only curious if there is any difference, tests done, or if it is claimed to be the same by some source when they are loaded. Maybe I'm over thinking this, but it seems like something would be different.

Ron