Beef with Kubota - The nut that drove me nuts

andmel

Equipment
L2850 / L3901 LB / G1800
Dec 17, 2014
concord, VA, USA
Finally got the darn thing off. Made a deep 46mm socket by buying two standard depth sockets @ Nothern Tool (~$14/ea) cutting one into and welding the bottom to the other. Still needed to loosen the nut with a hammer and chisel per Wolfman's suggestion above (thx by the way;)). Really appreciate all the helpful comments and ideas. By the way, I now how a 'loaner tool' 46mm deep socket if anybody needs to use it. Previous post is a great idea.
-Andy

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Finally got the darn thing off. Made a deep 46mm socket by buying two standard depth sockets @ Nothern Tool (~$14/ea) cutting one into and welding the bottom to the other. Still needed to loosen the nut with a hammer and chisel per Wolfman's suggestion above (thx by the way;)). Really appreciate all the helpful comments and ideas. By the way, I now how a 'loaner tool' 46mm deep socket if anybody needs to use it. Previous post is a great idea.
-Andy
Well if you had to, I guess you had to...

BTW, saw this recently: http://www.sears.com/schwaben-deep-...a=00915627000P&kpid=00915627000&mktRedirect=y

andmel

Equipment
L2850 / L3901 LB / G1800
Dec 17, 2014
concord, VA, USA
Well dont' that beat all:eek::mad:! Didn't even think to check Sears. Didn't show up on any of my online queries either. Cost (w/ shipping) would be about the same but I wouldn't have had to cut and weld:mad::mad::mad:.

Haven't pulled the front seal out yet. Other responsibilities have me 'milking' this job. Was planning on drilling three or four 3/16 or 1/8th in. holes into the seal itself, starting screws into the holes and using pliers on the screws to pull it out evenly. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Do I need to drain the crankcase oil before pulling the front seal? Wasn't sure how high the oil level is. Again, the tractor and motor are L2850 / V1702.

-Andy

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Well dont' that beat all:eek::mad:! Didn't even think to check Sears. Didn't show up on any of my online queries either. Cost (w/ shipping) would be about the same but I wouldn't have had to cut and weld:mad::mad::mad:.

Haven't pulled the front seal out yet. Other responsibilities have me 'milking' this job. Was planning on drilling three or four 3/16 or 1/8th in. holes into the seal itself, starting screws into the holes and using pliers on the screws to pull it out evenly. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Do I need to drain the crankcase oil before pulling the front seal? Wasn't sure how high the oil level is. Again, the tractor and motor are L2850 / V1702.

-Andy
Try one of these:http://www.harborfreight.com/15-piece-slide-hammer-and-puller-set-5469.html

I made a screw, that replaces the screw in the vice grips, and connects to the puller...

3-5 whacks, and most seals are out...:D

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Last edited:

andmel

Equipment
L2850 / L3901 LB / G1800
Dec 17, 2014
concord, VA, USA
I just 'carefully' drilled a couple 1/16" holes centered on the seal. Started a couple drywall screws in them, enough for a good grip, and then pulled evenly on the screwheads with pliers. Front main seal came right out.

Cranked her up and found another couple leaks. These are on both ends of the 4X4 drive shaft running from the x-mission to the frt axle housing. Leaking hydraulic oil on the rear and 90 wt gear oil on the frt. It's coming from just above the drain plugs on both ends where the shaft and telescopic sheath enter the x-mission and axle. I assume there's more seals involved so have to look them up. Not bad leaks, but enough to make you want to fix them while the tractor is clean.

Question: the sheath is in two parts with one sliding into the other (I assume this is to provide a little 'give' for flexing of the machine under operation). Is there supposed to be a sliding seal that centers the smaller dia. sheath section into the larger dia. one? Right now there's ~ 1/8"-1/4" slop and 90 wt gear oil is leaking out of the crack.