Battery Stone Dead

fmgsr

Dec 19, 2018
PA
So i used the BX2380, a week latter, the battery was dead. Took a charge, but after charge i watched the voltage plummet.
Bought a new battery. Put it in, started right up, ran it a few days, then one week latter, same dead. Now I hit it with the battery
booster, started up, ran it today, shut it off and started it back up no problem. So I figure the alternator is working.
Something must be draining the battery??

WhitleyStu

Premium Member

Equipment
B2601 LA435 FEL 60" MMM 60" Snow Blower FSP500 Spreader 5' Grahl Roller 40 spray
Sep 10, 2020
Indiana
Time to get out the VOM and check the system....

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
If same as BX23S,there's just 4 circuits with live power '24/7'.
1) meter (instrument cluster) 5 amp
2) stop solenoid 15 amp
3) worklight (out back ,option) 20 amp
4) lamp (4ways/turns) 20 amp

Since it's a slow drain, maybe the meter (instrument panel ) ?
It's NOT a 'short', that'd blow one of those fuses.
Did anyone install 'worklights', or radio or ANY change to the original wiring recently ?

I'd pull each fuse, one at a time, put ammeter inline, see what power is being drawn. That will narrow down to the offending circuit.

Hard to tell 'over the net',but it's a process of 'observation and elimination'.

Jay

Reactions: 1 user

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Charge the battery. Disconnect one lead. Put an ammeter in series between that terminal and the disconnected lead. That will tell you the amount of drain. From there you can try to track down the source of the drain. You can try removing fuses one at a time to possibly narrow down your search. It's obvious something is not turning off as it's supposed to.

Reactions: 2 users

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
So i used the BX2380, a week latter, the battery was dead. Took a charge, but after charge i watched the voltage plummet.
Bought a new battery. Put it in, started right up, ran it a few days, then one week latter, same dead. Now I hit it with the battery
booster, started up, ran it today, shut it off and started it back up no problem. So I figure the alternator is working.
Something must be draining the battery??
Why do you figure the alternator is working.......... just because the (idiot) light is not on?

:provide the voltage across the battery terminals with the engine running. That is the real test.

Dave

Reactions: 1 users

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Left the dome light on?

(kidding!)

Good advice given above.

May be a phantom draw of some kind, or alternator not charging. You could always measure voltage of battery at rest (tractor off) and see 12.2-12.4V or so @ rest and then start up and run at full throttle and see on your voltmeter across the battery if you see something more than that. (13.5-14v is typical for a car...tractor likely similar)

Good luck

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
An accurate voltmeter used to take VOLTAGE DROP measurements should isolate the problem quickly.

A good place to start would be voltage drops across every fuse. (Key OFF)

Anything more than 0.000mV would be the circuit to investigate.

Reactions: 1 user