Ballast Leaking - Problem?

DJG

Equipment
2007 B7800 LA402 FEL
Aug 1, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
Hi Guys:
Here's a photo showing evidence of small leaks in one of the rear tires on my B7800 - original industrial tread tires.
In a half-dozen spots around the whole tire you can see a line where beet juice leaked out. There's no evidence of pooling so the leaks are small. Do they presage a bigger problem to come?
KubotaBall - Having a ball on my Kubota.
photo 1.jpg

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
What is the tire pressure? Low pressure can allow anything to leak past the bead.

DJG

Equipment
2007 B7800 LA402 FEL
Aug 1, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
Hello Again Wolfman:

Hope the full moon isn't troubling you too much.

I tried checking the tire pressure but there was a little beet juice in the valve stem and my tire gauge wouldn't read at all.

Then I rolled the tire so the stem was at the top of the tire (out of the juice, hopefully), and connected by compressor but the readout didn't show any pressure at all and no air would flow into the tire even though I had 100psi.

Maybe the stem was frozen up? Or I could bring the tractor into my garage which is above freezing and see what I learn that way.

There is no evidence of more leaking right now and I don't plan on using the tractor much in the winter, so I guess I'll just wait until the spring.

Any other thoughts?
Thanks.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Bring that bad girl in the garage and figure it out,, leave it till spring and you might wind up twisting the tire off the rim if she goes flat, I know its cold but I would take the time to do it now,, just MHO

DJG

Equipment
2007 B7800 LA402 FEL
Aug 1, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
Thanks. I'll take your advice and bring her in today. Will let you know what I find. Hopefully I'll be able to get a reading with the tire gauge after she thaws out.

gssixgun

Equipment
L3600, FEL, SnoBlower, Box Blade, Rear Blade, Forks, Cultivator, Plow
Jan 5, 2013
Sandpoint ID
www.gemstarcustoms.com
You might need to slide a jack under that wheel, if the "Air" pressure is really low because of a leak the weight of the tractor alone can be enough to flood the valve even if it is at the top..
Mine still allowed me to add air but then again it was July :p

DJG

Equipment
2007 B7800 LA402 FEL
Aug 1, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
Good suggestion, gssixgun. I've got a jack that should do the job.

I've experienced what feels like I'm hitting a flat spot every tire rotation when I first start driving. I thought maybe it was because the liquid had settled or frozen, but the beet juice isn't supposed to freeze, right?

And also it's weird because the tire that is showing the leakage doesn't look flat at all.

Still, I"m heading out right now to bring the tractor into the garage. Will let you know what happens.

Thanks again.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I agree with jacking up a side and seeing if you can get it to air up, but I suspect that you might need to pull the valve stem out in order to clear the blockage.
This can get real tricky as the air pressure and if they overfilled it with juice will make it want to just shoot out.
I would double check your air chuck as I have a couple here that will not engage the valve core in the stem to allow it to fill with air. ;)

DJG

Equipment
2007 B7800 LA402 FEL
Aug 1, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
Thanks, Wolfman. Sure hope pulling the stem isn't needed. The tractor's in the garage and jacked up right now. I'll try the tire in a few hours or the morning & let you know.

Dieselbob

Equipment
BX 2230, LA211 loader, 60â€￾ MMM, 2â€￾ wheel spacers, grille guard, gauges, bucket e
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
And also it's weird because the tire that is showing the leakage doesn't look flat at all.
Different tractor, but I found out the hard way with the BX rear turf tires, that they can have ZERO pounds of air and not look flat. The tractor will lean that way a little, but the tire looks perfectly fine UNTIL that corner of the tractor is loaded down.... :eek:

DJG

Equipment
2007 B7800 LA402 FEL
Aug 1, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
Thanks, DieselBob. That's good info. PS - Are you related to Vin Diesel?
Here's the update:

I set up my tractor tires so the valve stems were at about 11:30 to get them above the beet juice, and then added air from my compressor.

I could hear a bubbling sound as the air went in and the built-in gauge on the compressor handle said I had ZERO pressure to start. I filled that tire to 18 psi (max is listed as 20psi on the tire wall). Did the other side - which wasn't leaking - and also put it to 18psi though it started at about 10, not 0.

Hopefully that will take care of the leaking.

I'm surprised there's so much beet juice in the tires and so little room for air. I guess you want as much weight as possible - that's the point, right?

Anyway, when I tried to check the pressure with a regular tire gauge, beet juice leaked right out, so I guess you've got to get the valve at exactly "noon" to make sure they're above the beet juice level.

This post was longer than I expected. Sorry.
And THANKS everyone for your advice. I don't know what I'd do without OTT - probably spend a lot of money at the dealer and learn next to nothing.
Dave

retiredlawnboy

Equipment
M6800, L245DT, L245H, Gravely 816T with Cab and Wing Mower, 5665, 1960s Li
Nov 24, 2014
Danville, OH 43014
My manual recommends filling the ballast 3/4 and the rest air, not sure if the whole way is mechanically sound especially if the liquid can freeze.

What is the red juice? My guess is RV antifreeze.

Just to clarify, was it seeping out at the rim or at or around the valve stem?
If you added air pressure and the leaking stops you may be ok but the potential for the corrosion may still be eating at the insides.

Keep us updated.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
What is the red juice? If you added air pressure and the leaking stops you may be ok but the potential for the corrosion may still be eating at the insides.
Red is beat juice, and the reason they use it is it doesn't freeze and it doesn't corrode metal. ;)

Dieselbob

Equipment
BX 2230, LA211 loader, 60â€￾ MMM, 2â€￾ wheel spacers, grille guard, gauges, bucket e
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
Thanks, DieselBob. That's good info. PS - Are you related to Vin Diesel?

Nope. Years ago, I joined a racing team that already had a Bob. Since my background is in semi parts, I was asked to check on some new injectors for the team tow rig. I picked up the monikers Diesel, Dieselman, and Diesel Bob that day, and it just stuck. Here is a picture of my old pit crew helmet:

Attachments

Cal270

Equipment
4060 HSTC,LP1258,1672,1860,1672,ballast box,& HermanSupply fel snowplow
Jun 23, 2014
Mid-Michigan
Rim Guard is the sugar beet formula.
My dealer used tubes when this product was added to rear tires to prevent leaking issues.

Orange Turbo

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5100, pto13000kw, Loader, Ripper,Plow,Disc,Mower,Forks,3pt spreader,Box Blade.
Feb 2, 2015
Mo
Just a little idea that your tire gauge will like,
Before checking air pressure put valve core at 12 o'clock, add some air first, than check. That will blow/clean out the stem, and keep most of it out of your gauge.