Ballast for L2850

xsnrg

Equipment
L2850 with BF500 loader
Mar 27, 2023
Ringgold, VA
I just picked up an '88 L2850 in great condition with < 400 hrs on it. I grew up on a farm (more of a hobby farm than a working farm) and around tractors (dad had an old Ford 8n and later some mid size JD diesels with front end loaders). I remember the ford had wheel weights and fluid in the tires, I don't recall the JD's having either. I'm becoming familiar with the need for ballast for using the FEL. I plan on using the tractor probably mostly for mowing and perhaps some tilling and then occasional FEL work (moving dirt, gravel, etc). I tried to see if I could lift the front of an old 5th wheel camper by putting the bucket under the hitch and to my suprise, the only thing that lifted was the rear of the tractor. I do not have a quick attach or quick hitch for front or rear (yet). Would love to hear some experienced ideas on what I should do for ballast. Should I just leave the finish mower or brush hog on the back when using the FEL? I saw someone suggest getting a box blade and put weight on top which seems like a better & more compact idea. A ballast box/weight for only that purpose seems somewhat silly to me and lot of extra work putting on and off.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I use a ballast box myself but any weight on the back will be an improvement. If you're into lifting really heavy stuff though you might try to find the weight capacity rating for the front axle. The addition of a front loader may have already put you near the limit. Kubota does rate pretty conservatively and will take some overloading but it's food for thought.

Reactions: 1 user