Ballast box question

Chapel Hill Vann

Equipment
B2601, bush hog, pallet forks, boom pole, scraper blade
May 1, 2022
Chapel Hill NC
I am building a new ballast box for my B2601.
My question is how to use the 3 point lower arms to carry the box. It seems that if I use the arms in the lowest position (not raising them at all) it will use no hydraulic power and leave more power for the FEL.
Is there a reason to raise the box higher than the "no hydraulic" position? the only downside that I could see might be low ground clearance.
thanks for any thoughts/comments
Vann

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
3pt only uses power raising the arms. Once 'at position', or lowering, no hydraulic power is used.
I prefer to use a 'carryall' and skidded ballast. easier to get on and an 'dial in' correct amount of ballast.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I think clearance to the ground would be only concern. If not dragging it’s fine.

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Your three point hitch never "uses" hydraulic power unless you raise it up. At which time, it did use hydraulic power to get to the higher position but it does not use any more power to hold it there. The valve simply traps the pressure in the cylinder, until you either add more oil to raise it higher or let the oil out to lower the 3ph.

It gravity down, the oil goes back to the tank.

I would put the pins about 6 to 8" off the ground. If they are too low you might not be able to get under them to be able to connect them. Also, yes, sometimes carrying the weight higher (to avoid hitting a low objects behind you) is preferred. Good luck.

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
The system was designed to lift and hold a certain amount of weight. Most kubotas also have a speed/hold valve that can be shut to hold the 3 point arms in position. Chaining them up shouldn't be necessary is a good working system.

Chapel Hill Vann

Equipment
B2601, bush hog, pallet forks, boom pole, scraper blade
May 1, 2022
Chapel Hill NC
THANKS for all of your replys and information. It's great to have such a resource for new Kubota owners. I've had 3 other tractors, but they were all different models and much older.
I plan to use this not only as ballast, but also a tool holder. I will put in several PVC pipes, a chain saw slot and attach a wire basket for misc stuff.
I will post again when complete.
Again, many thanks and hopefully I will be able to contribute soon to the forum.
Vann

Reactions: 1 users