Ballast box question

Technical Ted

Equipment
L3560/cab LA805 loader LandPride RCF2060 rotary cutter, HLA hyd angle snow blade
Jul 2, 2016
Dansville NY
I have a L3560 with FEL and R1 tires. With all the weight of the FEL, the front tires can be rough on the lawn... especially in the wetter spots.

My question is, will a ballast box on the 3 pt hitch help take weight off the front end so the tires won't dig in so much?

Thanks!
Ted

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Yes, it will, but center of mass for your will probably be a couple of feet from the center of your rear axle. The front axle is several feet from the center of the rear axle. If the center of mass from your ballast box is 2 feet from the center of the rear axle and the center of the front axle is 4 feet from the center of the rear axle, you will need to add 2lbs to the ballast box to take one lb. off of the front axle. These are not the real measurements and were chosen to make the math easy.

It's quite possible that in putting enough weight on the back to keep your front wheels from tearing up the lawn, you will cause your rears to tear up the lawn.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
If you can run without bucket, then drop it. Some weight on rear will take a little off front. As mentioned it wont be much. But every little helps. I keep off the lawn when its wet, so this summer i wasnt on lawn hardly at all.let a couple lbs of air out of front tires, will even out the footprint. Air back up if doing heavy lifting.

K.P.

Equipment
B7300, LA272 FEL, B2650, 8160 Ballast, G2460G Mower, Danuser 20/40, Woods RB60
Aug 11, 2010
Cary, IL
I have a much much smaller bota than yours but I was concerned adding an FEL to a tractor with no power steering would make steering difficult and wear the front tires faster on pavement when using the snow blower. The 3pt ballast box I purchased along with the FEL really does a good job of keeping the full load off the front tires and makes steering easier. But I also noticed more even traction with the front and rear when excavating. I believe it gets more power to the ground...of what little power I have. I alternate my ballast with sand bags.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Are you mowing with the FEL attached? I leave mine off unless I am using it.
I mow with a 3 point finish mower and the front wheels only leave marks when i have 4wd engaged. And I have turf tires.

Technical Ted

Equipment
L3560/cab LA805 loader LandPride RCF2060 rotary cutter, HLA hyd angle snow blade
Jul 2, 2016
Dansville NY
Are you mowing with the FEL attached? I leave mine off unless I am using it.
I mow with a 3 point finish mower and the front wheels only leave marks when i have 4wd engaged. And I have turf tires.
No mowing. Just driving across sections of the yard to do work with the FEL or pushing snow off the driveway into the yard. I have R1 tires.

Ted