ball hitch on the drawbar - is there a pin-on version?

barndoor

Equipment
LX2610
Mar 10, 2021
Santa Cruz County, California
I've probably answered my own question, since I can't find one anywhere. But it got me thinking: why can't a trailer ball be pinned on instead of with the nut and lock washer? Of course the later is more secure, but I'd like to pull my little log splitter via the drawbar with the LX, unhook it at the work site, then use the drawbar for pulling chain/strap. I could buy another drawbar and mount a ball to it, but it sure would be nice to have a ball that could mount with a pin like my chain hooks and clevis hooks.

ruger1980

Equipment
L4310 w/La682, L225
Oct 25, 2020
CNY
Why not use a receiver and exchange couplers?

Also you have to figure liability. Say you produce such a product and an end-user does not secure the product correctly and someone gets hurt. In a court room you end up being the bad guy or at least broke.

The way I see it the 60 sec it takes to undo a hitch ball from a drawbar I am good with to ensure safety of myself and other around me.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You could just take the drawbar off and drill a pin hole through the trailer ball shank. I would suggest taking it to a machine shop so the hole can be placed fairly precisely so that the ball will be held down fairly tightly to the drawbar.

You may want to use a pin that is flat on the back side against the drawbar. The pins on the lower arms of the 3 point hitch may work but similar pins in smaller sizes are available.

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
Why not offset the ball left or right of center, to a hole not used for other tasks. The LX is wide compared to most splitters, I bet it would still track within the tractor,

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
You could also get an inexpensive trailer mover for the 3PH with a receiver on it. You wouldn't need to worry about the 3PH lifting due to a shift in tongue weight and you could still use the drawbar.

Reactions: 1 user

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
I suggest reaming out or drilling your draw to accept a nominal 1" pin which generally come with a brail handle, remove the handle, then buy an inexpensive 2 " trailer ball and cut the shank off, bevel the pins head and weld the ball to the pin (use plenty of heat). Now you have a hitch and a pin with a ball handle. You might want to consider adding a hammer strap to your draw bar. Just my .02

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
i would buy or build something like this. You could cut off the 2 5/8" ball and weld on a plate with a hole for towing pin on implements.

hitch.jpg

barndoor

Equipment
LX2610
Mar 10, 2021
Santa Cruz County, California
great ideas everyone. I'm certainly not looking to make any device to sell, so liability isn't a concern. But it does point to the fact that there may be some inherent issues with a pin on ball, hence they are not made. Really I'm just lazy, and could just buy a second drawbar with a ball on it, and swap it out as needed.

Another idea I had was to source, or more likely make, a big wing nut, allowing me to attach the ball as normal, just no need for a wrench.

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
^ if you welded on some ‘wings’ on the nut, that’s likely work great, just maybe drill a hole for a cotter pin of sorts so it don’t rattle off or come loose getting tangled in weeds.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
it's been done.. Princess Auto (and others...) sell an ATV 2" sleeve that bolts on the ATV, allows you to insall the 'ball mount' of your choice

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
Having a ball on the tool bar that has the "lift assist" sure makes hooking up much easier.

The tongue weight of my splitter is getting to be a bit much to handle safely.