Backup Alarm

Jasper2018

Equipment
Kubota L3130. LA723 FEL, L3901 HST, LA525, bush hog rotary cutter,
May 25, 2021
Florida
I was thinking of adding a backup alarm to my L3901 but don't think there is a way
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Hmmm. I don't know your tractlor, but I'm sure there's a way. You can get lilttle backup alarms at most auto parts store, and the Amazon has a zillion for sale for not much money.

The trick is the switch. Since the little alarms draw almost no current, you don't need a super-duper heavy switch. Just some kind of momentary (MO, or, Momentary On) switch that can be mounted near the lever or pedal that sends you backwards. You'd have to find a switch with provision for screw holes, or something, and then fabricate a mount. It's got to be waterproof, too, of course.

Here's a switch that would work, but it's massive overkill. Still, if the mounting options work out, it wouldn't hurt anything to go big.

This one would work, if it's waterproof. I don't see that mentiioned, though. But at least it shows you what kind of things are our there.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
The problem that I see is in mounting the switch so a little movement activates the switch but also a lot of movement (full speed reverse) does not damage the switch. A switch with a long spring steel arm that would bend after initial contact and not break the switch as the pedal is pushed farther.
Or Mark's switch with a compression spring pushing the button as the pedal is pushed down.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Are you doing alot of backing-up with people around?
Are those people sufficiently knowledgeable about being around working equipment to know what to do if they hear a backup-alarm? (Do they have enough sense not to be behind working equipment?)
Do you believe having a back-up alarm reduces your liability for clearing the area before backing?
Exactly what do you think that alarm will accomplish other than irritate you after awhile?

I have a roller/compactor which has a factory installed backup alarm. I cut the ground-wire on it to shut it up. (I use it to roll a 3400-foot long by 100 foot wide turf runway so I make long straight runs with it, and primarily drive it in reverse because it’s easier to steer that way.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Had one on my golf cart! Lol I did not put it on, it was on when I got it but I turned it in to a back up light. Just replaced the beeper with the light. It just has a ground type switch I think.. to where the linkage slides against it and completes the circuit. It's been a while so I can't quite remember but something like that.. seems like it would be easy to accomplish.

RBsingl

Equipment
Kubota F 2690 72" rear discharge deck, Deere 955
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
Using a magnetically controlled reed switch is another option, the switch would be mounted near but not to the treadle pedal linkage with a bar magnet mechanically attached to the linkage. In use, the normally open switch and bar magnet are mounted so the magnet bar is long enough that it will start to close the switch as the treadle control is pushed into the reverse sector and the bar magnet chosen must be long enough that part of it continues to be near the reed switch throughout the full range of the reverse movement. This requires no direct mechanical connection between the switch and linkage avoiding issues of designing a spring system that will indicate a small movement without being stressed at full throw.

The type of switch you would want is low cost and is hermetically sealed in a glass envelope making it completely waterproof. These switches are used in many applications and will reliably withstand hundreds of thousands of cycles, for example a typical application was the old "tipping bucket" style electronic rain gauge where an internal bucket measured the rainfall by tipping every hundredth of an inch. A magnetic reed switch was used to capture and report every bucket tip.

This style of reed switch is pictured below, a suitable bar/strip magnet could either be fixed via adhesive or clamped to the linkage and is readily available from Amazon and crafts type stores. The reed switch photo is from Mouser.com which is where I buy 90% of my electronic components but I am sure Amazon and ebay would also have these simple switches.

Rodger
magnetic reed switch.jpg

Gb540

Jan 9, 2021
Central US
I need to put one of these on my dad's tractor and not tell him, it will drive him crazy. :LOL:
And set it up so it clangs going forward! ;)

Take a look at the second switch posted by Mark_BX25D. Depending on brand and spec, pushing from any direction should trigger the switch, and the spring "arm" gives you leeway.

• Haha

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
The problem that I see is in mounting the switch so a little movement activates the switch but also a lot of movement (full speed reverse) does not damage the switch. A switch with a long spring steel arm that would bend after initial contact and not break the switch as the pedal is pushed farther.
Exactly. The second one I posted should do the trick.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
I need to put one of these on my dad's tractor and not tell him, it will drive him crazy. :LOL:
Heh. Reminds me of a story an old-timer told me back in my Army days. They had an annoying regular at their auto shop, and one of his many trips in for some trifiling complaint, they tack welded a pipe across the bottom of his frame. (Think 40s or 50s.) A half inch ball bearing inside the pipe, caps on each end, and away he went. Every corner - THUNK. THUNK.

:LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
Using a magnetically controlled reed switch is another option, the switch would be mounted near but not to the treadle pedal linkage with a bar magnet mechanically attached to the linkage. In use, the normally open switch and bar magnet are mounted so the magnet bar is long enough that it will start to close the switch as the treadle control is pushed into the reverse sector and the bar magnet chosen must be long enough that part of it continues to be near the reed switch throughout the full range of the reverse movement. This requires no direct mechanical connection between the switch and linkage avoiding issues of designing a spring system that will indicate a small movement without being stressed at full throw.

The type of switch you would want is low cost and is hermetically sealed in a glass envelope making it completely waterproof. These switches are used in many applications and will reliably withstand hundreds of thousands of cycles, for example a typical application was the old "tipping bucket" style electronic rain gauge where an internal bucket measured the rainfall by tipping every hundredth of an inch. A magnetic reed switch was used to capture and report every bucket tip.

This style of reed switch is pictured below, a suitable bar/strip magnet could either be fixed via adhesive or clamped to the linkage and is readily available from Amazon and crafts type stores. The reed switch photo is from Mouser.com which is where I buy 90% of my electronic components but I am sure Amazon and ebay would also have these simple switches.

Rodger
View attachment 83786
That would work and even better with a second magnet farther down the path to maintain the Reed switch as the reverse pedal is pushed further.
Additionally, if you want to use a mechanical switch/micro switch, the best setup to ensure that the switch is not damaged due to over travel is using a rocker arm. One end of the rocker arm is spring loaded to constantly press on a "normally closed" switch to keep it open. The other end of the rocker arm is operated by the device being monitored, in this case the reverse pedal, as the reverse pedal is pushed further, the rocker arm end for the switch moves further and further away from the switch. This concept was used all over the mechanisms of the Space Shuttle. Here is an example using an "L" shaped rocker arm to detect when a Payload Bay Door was within reach of the latches or fully closed:

Attachments