Backhoe Quick Attachment

Key West Ralph

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M62, BT 1400V Backhoe, TL 1800 Loader, BT 4599 Thumb, Premier Auger
Mar 4, 2022
Tolland, Massachusetts
Orange People: I just installed a thumb on my backhoe. Broke my balls like you can't believe. New Pin, lathered up with lots of grease, crow bars, floor jack etc, etc. Brutal experience. Here's my question: can I put a quick attach on my bucket and still use my thumb? Thus avoiding repeating the shit show? I defer to you experienced folks. Thank you, Ralph

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Orange People: I just installed a thumb on my backhoe. Broke my balls like you can't believe. New Pin, lathered up with lots of grease, crow bars, floor jack etc, etc. Brutal experience. Here's my question: can I put a quick attach on my bucket and still use my thumb? Thus avoiding repeating the shit show? I defer to you experienced folks. Thank you, Ralph
My 2006 L48 (older brother to your M62) has the setup you are looking for.
I am the 2nd owner, and assume this was installed by the selling dealer.
Kubota describes their BH bucket connect system as "quick connect" rather than "quick attach", as on the loader bucket.

I would suggest that you call Messick's for BH quick connect coupler advice specific to your M62.
You will be unable to use your current pin on bucket, unless you have it converted to work with the Kubota quick connect system.

You can buy the quick connect bucket adapter ears on Amazon, or E-bay, and have them welded on your bucket, after cutting away the existing pin on fittings.

The buckets that directly fit the KX033, KX040, KX71, KX91, KX121, U35 etc. excavators will fit your M62 when you add the quick connect coupler.

I am using a hydraulic thumb, with the BH bucket quick connect system!

You will absolutely love the BH quick connect coupler once you get it!
It makes bucket swapping effortless!

Last edited:

Key West Ralph

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 4, 2022
Tolland, Massachusetts
My 2006 L48 (older brother to your M62) has the setup you are looking for.
I am the 2nd owner, and assume this was installed by the selling dealer.
Kubota describes their BH bucket connect system as "quick connect" rather than "quick attach", as on the loader bucket.
I would suggest that you call Messick's for BH quick connect coupler advice.

I am using a hydraulic thumb, with the BH bucket quick connect system!

You will absolutely love the BH quick connect coupler once you get it!
It is essentially effortless!
Thank you for the information. I'll contact Messick's.

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
I feel your pain…I too bought a Kubota thumb after purchasing my 2013 BX25d and what a pain it was to install…can’t recall all the gritty details but pins provided with the kit did NOT fit the designated places for them on the BH dipper. Sanding, honing hammering and lots of lube and I was finally a make the pin go in but what a FIASCO!

Key West Ralph

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 4, 2022
Tolland, Massachusetts
I feel your pain…I too bought a Kubota thumb after purchasing my 2013 BX25d and what a pain it was to install…can’t recall all the gritty details but pins provided with the kit did NOT fit the designated places for them on the BH dipper. Sanding, honing hammering and lots of lube and I was finally a make the pin go in but what a FIASCO!
Thanks, man. I thought I was the only one with this issue. In actuality a tang holding one of the bushings on the thumb might have been off a bit causing the bind. It's all good. I'll get a bucket connect kit from Messick's.

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
Here is a picture of the bucket ears, 1st set Walmart on-line $39, too good to be true, ordered 2 more sets, $49 this time but much cheaper than others on-line, hate to think how much they are now, metal sky rocking. I did have to shave a little of the Quick Attach side with my angle grinder for proper fit. Bought some cheapy buckets on Craigslist to put on, could not spend $1200 for a 24" bucket.

Attachments

Key West Ralph

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 4, 2022
Tolland, Massachusetts
Here is a picture of the bucket ears, 1st set Walmart on-line $39, too good to be true, ordered 2 more sets, $49 this time but much cheaper than others on-line, hate to think how much they are now, metal sky rocking. I did have to shave a little of the Quick Attach side with my angle grinder for proper fit. Bought some cheapy buckets on Craigslist to put on, could not spend $1200 for a 24" bucket.
Awesome! I'll look on Amazon. Exactly the info I needed. Thank you, Ralph.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I have the same problem!
I have a Kubota 24" Q/C bucket, but want a 16" Q/C bucket also.
Lowest price I can find for a 16" bucket is $1060, which I will not do.
Am now looking for a used 16" pin on bucket to convert to Q/C .

Dave Ogren

Equipment
BX23S w/FEL &BH &60" Mowing Deck, 48" Dirty Dog Box Blade, 48" Tar River Tiller,
Feb 16, 2022
Asheville, N. C.
I have a BX 23 with a thumb (factory) and am waiting for the BXpanded ripper and QC. They said that they are compatible with each other.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
[/QUOTE

The weld on bucket ears described above WILL NOT fit an M62 quick attach coupler!
The M62 quick coupler system is different from the coupler that fits the smaller machines!

Last edited:

jimr63

Equipment
M5-091HDC, L47TLB, L4701F, ZD1211-72, GR2120-54, RTV-X1140
Jun 24, 2015
SOMD
Be aware that Kubota has two styles of quick couplers. One is the Kubota style and the other is for their excavator lineup. Your M62 can use either, but you’ll have a bigger selection of buckets/attachments if you go with the excavator style quick coupler system.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Be aware that Kubota has two styles of quick couplers. One is the Kubota style and the other is for their excavator lineup. Your M62 can use either, but you’ll have a bigger selection of buckets/attachments if you go with the excavator style quick coupler system.
M59 QA bucket has it's own ear design is similar but is incompatible with excavator and other tractor buckets. K sells the ears to weld on your own buckets.

jimr63

Equipment
M5-091HDC, L47TLB, L4701F, ZD1211-72, GR2120-54, RTV-X1140
Jun 24, 2015
SOMD
M59 QA bucket has it's own ear design is similar but is incompatible with excavator and other tractor buckets. K sells the ears to weld on your own buckets.
Maybe the M59 has the Kubota style quick connect? I don't know the difference, just that my dealer told me to go with the excavator style when I bought my L47 so that I'd have more attachment options. I've noticed that the quick attach system and all the attachments for the excavator style are painted black like they are universal and that all the buckets/attachments that fit the Kubota style quick connect are orange. Could be wrong on that observation though...

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Thank you for that!

I was unaware that there are two different styles of couplers.
My L48 TLB does have the excavator style coupler, and as you suggest, there are many more bucket options available for that coupler.

I have a 24" bucket, but am about to buy a 16" trenching bucket.
For my play use only, I am having a difficult time swallowing the $1,000+ price tag.

Would like to find a good used pin on bucket, and adapt it to quick connect.
So far, nothing is available!

Looks like I'll be buying a new 16" "AIM" mfg. bucket on E-Bay.

Last edited:

alfredsuter

Equipment
Kubota M62 2022
May 17, 2023
Jacksonville FL
I know this post is from a year ago but I am having similar issues and was hoping someone could clarify with part numbers.

I have a 2022 Kubota M62 with the BT1400 backhoe and the dealers around here do not seem to know what to recommend to me. Could someone with more knowledge/experience confirm the below:

Kubota Style Quick connect: part#K7543 Q.A. Coupler
Excavator Style that *should* work on my tractor: part# K7870A

In addition, would the ears that Vlach7 purchased from Walmart up above work with the Excavator Style quick connect (part#K7870A)? I am so new to this but think I will get a handle on it as soon as I have things in front of me to look at/work on/weld.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I know this post is from a year ago but I am having similar issues and was hoping someone could clarify with part numbers.

I have a 2022 Kubota M62 with the BT1400 backhoe and the dealers around here do not seem to know what to recommend to me. Could someone with more knowledge/experience confirm the below:

Kubota Style Quick connect: part#K7543 Q.A. Coupler
Excavator Style that *should* work on my tractor: part# K7870A

In addition, would the ears that Vlach7 purchased from Walmart up above work with the Excavator Style quick connect (part#K7870A)? I am so new to this but think I will get a handle on it as soon as I have things in front of me to look at/work on/weld.
The M62, M59, L48 (mine), L47, L45(?).....all use the same "quick connect" coupler.
The K7870 coupler is on my L48 and I have two excavator buckets for it.
K7875 (24"), and K7873 (16").
My new 28" root ripper (Ex quick connect also) has been shipped, and is expected to arrive Friday.

Those weld on ears from Walmart are correct for use with the Kubota excavator buckets.
The same ears are also available all over E-bay.
You can choose to buy just the ears, or the ears already welded to a mounting plate.
Looks like the Walmart ears are already welded to the mounting plate, which IMHO is a good thing.

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
My M59 had a thumb with pin on bucket. Buckets almost impossible to find.
looked into converting to the excavator style like the M62 uses. Coupler QA only $1,200. But not compatible with thumb. To get new thumb $3,000. No go.
USA Attachments make a coupler for the M59 to fit Kubota Excavator KX quick attach. Took some modifications to suit me and more modifications to the existing thumb. Also ordered two excavator buckets. After selling the pin on bucket have $1,800 in new KX QA coupler and two new buckets.
IMG_2424.jpeg

Now just finished making an adapter so can use excavator attachments on my B26.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
My M59 had a thumb with pin on bucket. Buckets almost impossible to find.
looked into converting to the excavator style like the M62 uses. Coupler QA only $1,200. But not compatible with thumb. To get new thumb $3,000. No go.
USA Attachments make a coupler for the M59 to fit Kubota Excavator KX quick attach. Took some modifications to suit me and more modifications to the existing thumb. Also ordered two excavator buckets. After selling the pin on bucket have $1,800 in new KX QA coupler and two new buckets.
View attachment 102765
Now just finished making an adapter so can use excavator attachments on my B26.
And.....that adapter is one mighty innovative little device.:)

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
The M62, M59, L48 (mine), L47, L45(?).....all use the same "quick connect" coupler.
The K7870 coupler is on my L48 and I have two excavator buckets for it.
K7875 (24"), and K7873 (16").
My new 28" root ripper (Ex quick connect also) has been shipped, and is expected to arrive Friday.

Those weld on ears from Walmart are correct for use with the Kubota excavator buckets.
The same ears are also available all over E-bay.
You can choose to buy just the ears, or the ears already welded to a mounting plate.
Looks like the Walmart ears are already welded to the mounting plate, which IMHO is a good thing.
I wish it was true that they are all the same but they aren't. In Canada we seem to have a different AQ ear unique to the M59. K's answer is to buy new ears and weld them on a new bucket.