Backhoe 4540 info or possible match

HHomesteadah

Equipment
L4300DT
Oct 18, 2022
New Hampshire
Hi all just a noob on here looking for information on a Backhoe 4540. I have a L4300DT manufacture date was in 2002. I am hoping that someone on here has the information about this backhoe and if it will fit my tractor.

any information regarding:

• backhoe it-self
  • brackets that would be needed for my tractor and respective part numbers
  • the good or bad of this backhoe
  • and what to look out for
it is a used hoe and I am not sure what is wrong with it so any additional advise is also welcome.

Thanks All!

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Hi all just a noob on here looking for information on a Backhoe 4540. I have a L4300DT manufacture date was in 2002. I am hoping that someone on here has the information about this backhoe and if it will fit my tractor.

• backhoe it-self
it is a used hoe and I am not sure what is wrong with it so any additional advise is also welcome.

Thanks All!
What you want to do is quite problematic.
There are a host of $ potential problem issues,.... not the least of which is actually finding an OEM BH with subframe, that will readily bolt up to your tractor.

Unless you are big time into accessory repairs/modifications, and are willing to risk the $, IMHO you would be far better off, to sell your 20 year old tractor, and buy a machine that already has a BH attachment.

I know you will probably not like reading this, but absent someone offering to give you the used hoe, the add a hoe project will likely be a significant $ crap shoot!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

HHomesteadah

Equipment
L4300DT
Oct 18, 2022
New Hampshire
What you want to do is quite problematic.
There are a host of $ potential problem issues,.... not the least of which is actually finding an OEM BH with subframe, that will readily bolt up to your tractor.

Unless you are big time into accessory repairs/modifications, and are willing to risk the $, IMHO you would be far better off, to sell your 20 year old tractor, and buy a machine that already has a BH attachment.

I know you will probably not like reading this, but absent someone offering to give you the used hoe, the add a hoe project will likely be a significant $ crap shoot!
I smell what you’re stepping in but I have a tractor that is practically brand new that is made all of metal. I can’t see selling this thing with only 400 hrs on it to buy something newer with a hoe that would cost me close to 60g with comparable HP. If I can find a used hoe that is compatible it would be great. I feel like there should be someone out there that has experience with this tractor and has done it all and has knowledge to share. If I can find the right hoe a little fab work is not out of my realm.
Thanks all

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I smell what you’re stepping in but I have a tractor that is practically brand new that is made all of metal. I can’t see selling this thing with only 400 hrs on it to buy something newer with a hoe that would cost me close to 60g with comparable HP. If I can find a used hoe that is compatible it would be great. I feel like there should be someone out there that has experience with this tractor and has done it all and has knowledge to share. If I can find the right hoe a little fab work is not out of my realm.
Thanks all
Long ago, I bought a low time Ford industrial tractor/loader.
It took 2+ years for a Ford equipment dealer to find me a used Ford hoe.
If I had been looking only on my own, I am quite certain that hoe would have NEVER happened, even though there were a lot of similar model Ford TLBs built.

HHomesteadah

Equipment
L4300DT
Oct 18, 2022
New Hampshire
Long ago, I bought a low time Ford industrial tractor/loader.
It took 2+ years for a Ford equipment dealer to find me a used Ford hoe.
If I had been looking only on my own, I am quite certain that hoe would have NEVER happened, even though there were a lot of similar model Ford TLBs built.
Thank you for the tip. I planted the seed with a couple dealers up here. Unfortunately one only wants to sell me new tractors… I get it, it’s there bread an butter but it’s getting increasingly harder to justify purchasing something for more and get less…Frustrating sometimes. I haven’t heard back from my favorite dealer yet crossing fingers they have some insight.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Thank you for the tip. I planted the seed with a couple dealers up here. Unfortunately one only wants to sell me new tractors… I get it, it’s there bread an butter but it’s getting increasingly harder to justify purchasing something for more and get less…Frustrating sometimes. I haven’t heard back from my favorite dealer yet crossing fingers they have some insight.
I do wish you luck.
Finding a used Kubota hoe with proper subframe, will be "like looking for hen's teeth".
3 pt. BHs are widely known to be a bad idea!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

• backhoe it-self

Thanks All!
The Kubota online parts site says the hoe used on that tractor was a 3pt hitch model with PTO driven pump.

Dan

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
One of my dealers said BL4690 and L4560 were the hoes offered for my tractor.
That would most likely be correct. I had a 2002 L4610 with the 4560 BH. The basic size and layout of your L4300 is very similar to my L4610 so it seems likely they might use the same BH.

The 4560 was a strong, heavy 9 ft hoe with a full subframe permanently installed on the tractor. The subframe enabled the BH to mount snug to the back of the tractor for strength and minimal interference with ground clearance, which are common challenges with add-on backhoes. You can occasionally find a 4560 for sale on the online ag equipment sites like Tractorhouse but for some reason most of them look like they have had 20+ years of hard use and abuse. Critical when buying such a BH is that the correct subframe comes in the deal, as they are no longer made by Kubota and would be a big project to fabricate.

The 4690 was a 7 ft. 3 point mounted BH that was much lighter duty. They also pop up for sale every so often. Lots of concerns with 3 pt hoes... operator safety, potential damage to the tractor... 4 point subframe type is preferred, particularly for heavier work.

By the way, while I no longer have the tractor and BH, I do have some photos of the 4560 if you would find them useful.

HHomesteadah

Equipment
L4300DT
Oct 18, 2022
New Hampshire
That would most likely be correct. I had a 2002 L4610 with the 4560 BH. The basic size and layout of your L4300 is very similar to my L4610 so it seems likely they might use the same BH.

The 4560 was a strong, heavy 9 ft hoe with a full subframe permanently installed on the tractor. The subframe enabled the BH to mount snug to the back of the tractor for strength and minimal interference with ground clearance, which are common challenges with add-on backhoes. You can occasionally find a 4560 for sale on the online ag equipment sites like Tractorhouse but for some reason most of them look like they have had 20+ years of hard use and abuse. Critical when buying such a BH is that the correct subframe comes in the deal, as they are no longer made by Kubota and would be a big project to fabricate.

The 4690 was a 7 ft. 3 point mounted BH that was much lighter duty. They also pop up for sale every so often. Lots of concerns with 3 pt hoes... operator safety, potential damage to the tractor... 4 point subframe type is preferred, particularly for heavier work.

By the way, while I no longer have the tractor and BH, I do have some photos of the 4560 if you would find them useful.
thanks so much for the info. If you don’t mind It would be great if you send the photos. This would be a huge help especially if There is some type of fab work required.

There are two 4540 hoes for sale both with full frames and pto pumps. My research suggests that this hoe also fits L series smaller models? I am not at all familiar with how they mount but do you think it would be similar?

trenn

Equipment
L3750, BF900, L4540
Oct 25, 2022
Valatie,NY

• backhoe it-self

Thanks All!
The L4540 backhoe attachment goes on the L3350, L3750, and L4150