Back From a Camping Trip

billrigsby

Equipment
L1500DT Too many implements, or is there such a thing?
Mar 17, 2015
Florissant CO USA 8213'
www.facebook.com
Just back from a nice camping trip, maiden voyage of an old 70's model Steury Pop-Up.
Left on the 13th (Friday) and back late last night, no problems.
(no not all my stuff is 40+ years old, we do have a couple of early 2000's vehicles) :D

I have had this sitting around for years and recently went through it re-did the interior,
got rid of all the vinyl flooring and added some composite floor, repainted and re-did all the cushions.
Fully solar, self contained and perfect for short dry camping or boondocking trips.

Excellent weather until yesterday afternoon, a bit of snow and a nice covering here at home (finally). :)

Co-worker dropped off my tractor tires mounted and ready to install, nice surprise! :eek:

Attachments

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Bill, nice camper :D How did you switch it over to solar?

My son's been talking about doing his, and wife and I were thinking of doing ours also :D

billrigsby

Equipment
Mar 17, 2015
Florissant CO USA 8213'
www.facebook.com
Bill, nice camper :D How did you switch it over to solar?

My son's been talking about doing his, and wife and I were thinking of doing ours also :D

I had some panels lying around the house (49 watt), mounted one to the side,
(also detaches with an extension cable)

Used this inverter, with extension wires to mount the panel elsewhere

This solar controller

and this battery (Deka 804D 12V Storage Battery 950 CCA, 1160 CA, 250 Res. Cap.)

Not sure if I have a wiring diagram but that is pretty straight forward.

Attachments

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Very nice restoration !! I have seen new ones that dont look that good. I have been tent camping for more years than I care to think about, and last year figured out old Dad is getting a little long in the tooth to be sleeping on the ground. I have been looking for an older say 14 footer fiber glass pull behind, thats plenty big enough for me and my stuff when I go, and it would keep me off the ground and dry. But man the prices for a halfway decent use one are almost as much as a new one!

billrigsby

Equipment
Mar 17, 2015
Florissant CO USA 8213'
www.facebook.com
Looks great! Would love to see some before and after pictures and even some documenting the restoration if available.

Here are some original photos, just screaming 70's

Attachments

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Wow Bill, that’s nice!!
Super job. After seeing several of your restorations, guess I’m not surprised!!
Well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Looks great! I always liked camping in a pop-up but the setup and takedown got really old doing it by myself. Upgraded to a Jayco 23B Hybrid. I can still sleep under canvas like a pop up but have the option of turtling with minimal setup depending on how many people are with me. I usually camp 25 to 30 days between May and November.

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
What a great old PU! Nice job on the refurb also...looks great!

I've come close several times to getting a PU, but I just can't give up pitching a tent. Just something about the simplicity of "traditional" tent camping that I really enjoy. We also have an RTT for our "deluxe" trips! :D