B8200HST - some service data required

Rustbucket

Equipment
B8200HSTD, rotavator, transport box, trailers, old Land Rover
Jun 2, 2011
Ireland
I'm giving my newly acquired B8200HST a bit of TLC before putting it to work. So far - engine oil & filter done, cooling system flushed and fresh coolant installed, alternator belt and battery connections and electrolyte done, brakes adjusted, fuel system flushed and new filter fitted.

I've sent an email to our host asking for a price on workshop and operator manuals. In the meantime, can anybody confirm the grade and quantity of the transmission fluid? The p/n of the spin-on hydraulic filter?

The starter switch is FUBAR (starting is by screwdriver!). If anybody has the electrical schematic showing the wiring of this switch (especially the heater plug arrangement) I'd be very grateful for a scanned copy just to get me going.

Rustbucket

Equipment
Jun 2, 2011
Ireland
Thank you phildac, that's very helpful.

The ignition/starter switch is worn out (I have a replacement on order). If I poke a screwdriver blade into what remains of the barrel, a light clockwise twist causes the oil and alt lights to dim slightly. I'm guessing that means the heater plugs are coming in. A further gentle twist to the right finds the "sweet spot" for the starter contacts to come in.

Is your start switch sequence

off >> on >> heat >> start ?

I appreciate the help!

DsBota

Equipment
B8200, G1800
Apr 13, 2010
Milton, Ontario, Canada
The switch sequence for the glow plugs is turning the key the other way( counter clockwise). Should be a little element just above the key on the left that glows red when using the plugs. The wiring diagram shows it as glow plug indicator.

Rustbucket

Equipment
Jun 2, 2011
Ireland
The switch sequence for the glow plugs is turning the key the other way( counter clockwise). Should be a little element just above the key on the left that glows red when using the plugs. The wiring diagram shows it as glow plug indicator.
Ah, OK. So it looks as though the indicator lights going dim is just further evidence of switch failure.

I tried to turn the barrel CCW but it doesn't want to go in that direction. I'm reluctant to force it just in case it falls to pieces. It seems odd that Kubota didn't design the switch to add heat at the "crank" position.

Thank you for the help!

phildac

Equipment
1984 B8200E, L260F
Jul 29, 2009
Wentzville, MO
Rustbucket,

Sometimes when it is real cold outside, I will glow for 30-45 seconds and then crank. And after it is started, I will turn back and glow 10-20 seconds more until it warms up a little.

And yes, the sequence is (Glow)<-Off->Run>(Start)

Last edited:

Theekillerbee

Jun 28, 2009
Pleasant View UT, USA
Hey Rustbucket. That indicator takes quite a while before you actually see it glow, like 30-40 seconds, even a little more in bright light. The older tractor glow plugs take a long time to warm up, so don't worry about that.

Check your PM's, I've got that project done.