B8200 oil light low rpm

JCW

Equipment
B8200 HST-D
Sep 13, 2011
Southlake, Texas
Hi all, I just purchased a B8200 HST-D that I saw for sale and finally gave my wife enough reasons I should own it! It shows 150 hours, but who knows if it has turned over. It leaked very dirty black oil from the breather pipe and I found the oil pressure sensor wire was unplugged. When I plugged it in the light came on (of course), but it would go out if you throddled up the engine. When I drained it I got almost 5 quarts out, the manual says it takes 3.3 so I'm guessing thats the reason for the breather pipe leak, but with fresh oil in it the oil light is still on at low rpm's. The new oil also looked very dirty on the dipstick after only a min or so of running. I now have a new oil filter from the dealer and am going to change the oil and filter (didn't have filter yet on first change). Can the filter cause this low pressure? Is there a way to flush the block out? This is my first tractor, but I am pretty good with fixing things. Thanks for the help!

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
As little as 1 quart over-fill will cause overflow out the breather, no sweat there. The dirty oil left in a filter will muck up the oil like you saw, again no sweat. Is the light solid "ON" or does it flicker? I accept a flickering light at idle; that could be from an overly sensitive (or insensitive) pressure switch. If you think it really has turned over the meter try some 15w40 and see if that helps the light situation.

So few vehicles have an actual oil pressure gauge these days, though my new van has one; at idle it reads just above 20 but rolling it reads 40 and floored it reads almost 60. If it was a pressure switch with a light only, and that switch tripped at 30 then at idle I'd be worrying needlessly; you see?. But my old van with 160K miles did the exact same thing.

Without fitting a real gauge you won't know for sure what it reads. But you almost never put a work load on the unit at idle, and it says the pressure is there revved-up and under load.

I would watch and see if when it is worked a bit and really hot if the light is lit much higher off idle than when cold.

JCW

Equipment
B8200 HST-D
Sep 13, 2011
Southlake, Texas
Thanks for the replies everyone, it fixed itself, but I am definitely going to try that flush technique and more fresh oil and new filter. At first the light was solid ON at low rpm and would flicker with engine throttle up until it was off totally. I have not had time yet to change the filter and oil again, but yesterday I had to move the tractor and I noticed the light was now more dim and kinda flickering to the engine pace. If I drove or operated the bucket it would go solid, and if I throttled up it would go off. Today when I moved it back the light was gone! I turned it off to make sure the light was working and it was. Now at lowest throttle driving or operating the bucket, no light. Like I said I will still change all the fluids and filters I can. I don't know if its the oil, but I used RotellaT5 synthetic blend 10w30 from Walmart and I think I'll stick with it. Noticed the RPM gauge was not working, so maybe the hours are incorrect also. I have only run it 10 -15 minutes tops and I think the white number has stayed on the 8.

Theekillerbee

Jun 28, 2009
Pleasant View UT, USA
Good luck with your new tractor. Changing all the fluids and filters is a must. Make sure you clean the suction screen on the right hand side of the tractor when you drain your hydraulic fluid. It always has some gunk on it. It is inside the large banjo bolt where the suction line goes into the transmission housing.

Also on a diesel, the oil will get black very very quickly. This is normal, so don't worry about it. ALL of them do it.

cmorningstar01

Equipment
B7500HST LA302 FEL 5'Finish Mower B5100E 46" Snow Plow 22 ton splitter
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
When you replace the oil filter check the old filter, It is entirely possible that someone put the wrong filter on your machine, Just because a filter fits does not mean that it will work properly and a filter that is too restrictive can cause you oil pressure light to flicker at low RPMs, A heavily soiled filter can also cause problems, I used to have a Mazda MX6 Turbo and I had to change the oil filter every 2000 miles, If I did not change it the oil pressure would drop and the hydraulic lifters would start to clatter and as soon as I changed the oil and filter the pressure went back up and the lifters quieted down.