B8200 IMPROPER STORAGE DESTROYS CLUTCH

ezriderf6c

Equipment
b8200d 4x4 with bf300a and backhoe and KX-161-3st w/ steel tracks
My M4700 is stored without blocking the clutch. Never a problem. But if your Owners Manual stipulates it…. and the tractors has a provision to assist you……why not do it?
It’s even a matter of SAFETY if you consider someone turning the key to START having forgotten to confirm the tractor is out-of-gear.
But CHOCK your tractor wheels to prevent inadvertent movement.

Re-reading your OP does not appear to be a “quote”… it appears to be a “paraphrasing”.
OMG... really... I can provide a screen shot if you need that level of detail.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
OMG... really... I can provide a screen shot if you need that level of detail.
Don’t take it as criticism… I didn’t mean it that way…. It’s just that you said your comments were a “quote” from the manual…when they were actually your interpretation and rephrasing.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
My B7100 has had 3 owners- can't say anything about the 1st owner, but the second & me have never blocked the clutch disengaged for storage, for over 15yrs, with no problems.
But it is probably drier here than most places.
I think that this is probably only a problem for machines stored outside or in a very humid climate.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
other problem is when the local vermin decide to build a mouse house CONDO in the bellhousing/clutch area. After a 22 year term it'd dang FULL if grass,seeds and peeyou pee !
had to buy a complete clutch pkg for that tractor !
springs, even great ones will lose their springyness over time...
but how long does it take for a magnet stuck on a fridge to lose it's 'magnetic personality' ??

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Magnets are best stored with them attached to something ferrous (called a “keeper”.) I recall the science-labs in high-school and college made it a requirement that magnets be so stored. If left un-attracted and idle they slowly weaken (we were told.). Time, vibration, and heat also kill magnets.

Last edited:

MarkerCR7

Equipment
Kubota B2650, John Deere 1025r, John Deere E120
Dec 10, 2021
Georgia
Keeping a clutch disengaged can negatively affect the pressure-plate finger springs, explains. It also can place continual pressure upon the throw-out bearing.

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
Clutch was a bit of a problem when we stored our 1983 Benz 240D for 4 years. Took several strokes of the clutch pedal to break it loose. Had to refurbish clutch hydraulics later, too. Tractor is probably just mechanical.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Remember the B8200 came out in about 1985. At that time Kubota was getting a good foothold in the compact tractor competition over Yanmar and a few others. Kubota's were very popular in the Far East as machines used in rice patty farming. That was their original use. That is why there is a drain under the bell housing, for water to drip out after the tractor was removed from the patty. The owner's manual was worded for those times and uses.

If you're not using your tractor in a rice patty don't be overly concerned about a rusted clutch to pressure plate problem
Rice paddy ?

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
No... Kuboters are popular with pattys consisting of both rice and hamburger.

Research continues for a model to work the delicate patty melt.

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
Spring steel has an elastic limit. If you exceed it, the spring will not return to it's original length. If you do not exceed the limit, it will return to it's original length.
Car springs are always under load when parked, clock springs get a workout - neither change.

Have faith, locking the clutch down will not hurt anything but not doing it - might.