B8200 hydraulic pump

mrfreeze

Dec 22, 2013
Durham CT
Front bucket on my tractor would move very slow when raising and would have to rev up engine to lift anything. I am installing a new clutch right now and figured I would rebuild the hydraulic pump while I had everything drained. Rebuilt the pump, but now I cannot turn the input shaft freely, but I can turn it with a small wrench. Is this normal now that it has been rebuilt or should I be able to turn it by hand? Without the endplate on I can turn it turn it very free by hand, but as soon as I tighten the endplate down, it tightens everything up. Please advise if this is normal. Thank you.

Apogee

Equipment
B6100, B7100, B8200, B9200, G4200, L175, L35
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
No, it's not normal!

I just took a look at the WSM and it mentions keeping track of the shaft bushings, which shafts they went on, and their original locations and orientations when disassembling/reassembling. Did you do that?

I looked in the book specifically trying to find an end play measurement, but it's not given (that I could find). That being said, if it doesn't easily turn with the end plate on, then SOMETHING IS WRONG.

DON'T TURN IT WITH A WRENCH!

Take it back apart, and check everything. I'm guessing you may have reassembled with the bushings not back in their original spots. You should be able to reassemble without the o-rings or seals, tighten everything up, and it should turn easily. If not, you need to figure out what is going on. The reason it should turn easily is the hard parts are already worn. I'm guessing, due to wear, there should be .006 - .010" or so of end play at this point, so it shouldn't be very hard to turn. When the shaft seals are installed, they will fight you a bit, but if it's test assembled without the seals, it should turn easily by fingers even with the end plate torqued.

Unfortunately, if by turning with a wrench if you've gouged anything then you are likely going to have problems. Let's hope not! Also, beware of metal shavings...

Finally, what did the "rebuild" consist of? Was it just changing gaskets, shaft seals, and o-rings or did you also replace hard parts?

Good luck!

Steve

Last edited:

mrfreeze

Dec 22, 2013
Durham CT
Steve,
Thanks for taking the time to look up the specs. I must have switched the bushings during the reassembly. The rebuild is only o rings, shaft seal and a good cleaning. The dealer said these are the only parts available for the pump unless I wanted to change the whole pump. I figured I would try this before buying a new pump. I will take it apart one night this week and try to get it right. Thanks again and I will let you know the results.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Did you put a little lube on the O-rings and parts during assembly?

If you didn't it could possibly be real tight and hard to turn.