B8200 alternator charging problem

rbeall

Equipment
B8200
Mar 30, 2018
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
I have been troubleshooting my alternator. Had it rebuilt and tested to ensure it was not the problem. Reinstalled the alternator and repaired wiring to the external regulator. Test run....no output. Changed the regulator and still no output. Did a full field test by putting 12 volts directly to the fields, get 18 volts and can hear the engine load down a bit from the current draw on the alternator.
Either I have bought a bad regulator, or is there something else I’m missing?

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Check regulator is properly grounded, check fuses, do you have a service manual with wiring diagram? If you do, post a pic of the diagram, if you don't, shoot North Idaho Wolfman a message, he may have one squirreled away somewhere.
Edit: One other, ensure alt lamp is working, not sure if your model needs lamp current to initially excite alternator or not.

Last edited:

rbeall

Equipment
B8200
Mar 30, 2018
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
Thanks for the input. I will check the grounding of the regulator. I will also search for an inline fuse. The other question I have is how the regulator plug is identified differently than the wiring diagram. Can I change how the regulator is connected without potentially burning it out? I have it connected right now (the regulator) as it is shown in the picture for the regulator.
The alternator lamp is on when the battery wire going to the regulator is connected. However with that connected the power is back feed to the ignition switch.
I think this has all stemmed from the changeover from a dynamo to an alternator. The wiring is a mess. I have just purchased this tractor 2 weeks ago and there was a parasitic draw on the battery that was coming from the alternator fields, and during my testing I think I caused the issue of not charging any more. Now I am trying to find the correct way to rewire the charging system.

Attachments

Last edited:

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
im thanking you for this thread as my neighbors i snot charging & im coming back to these drawings as we tinker thru on his.

OrangeColoredTractor

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2017 L2501 4WD HST
May 10, 2017
Washington
Thanks for the input. I will check the grounding of the regulator. I will also search for an inline fuse. The other question I have is how the regulator plug is identified differently than the wiring diagram. Can I change how the regulator is connected without potentially burning it out? I have it connected right now (the regulator) as it is shown in the picture for the regulator.
The alternator lamp is on when the battery wire going to the regulator is connected. However with that connected the power is back feed to the ignition switch.
I think this has all stemmed from the changeover from a dynamo to an alternator. The wiring is a mess. I have just purchased this tractor 2 weeks ago and there was a parasitic draw on the battery that was coming from the alternator fields, and during my testing I think I caused the issue of not charging any more. Now I am trying to find the correct way to rewire the charging system.
The wiring diagram for the regulator, IG is 12V with key, B is battery, this will be 12V all the time. E is earth or ground, the L is light, it just opens a circuit to turn light off. Will work without it. The FEN terminals are field, earth and neutral, all run to the alternator small plug. The neutral is a have wave rectified DC output, about have of charge voltage. This can run a relay in an older mechanical regulator for light feature, it can be used for RPM and it can be used fo rhour meter as it produces only when engine is running (and charging)

So trace all wires at regulator, make sure B and IG have voltage, make sure F, N and E wires from reg to alternator small plug are not open.