B8200 advice?

X2K

Equipment
BX24
May 10, 2011
CT
Hello all, I have been lurking around for a while doing some research and finally decided to post. I am looking at picking up a B8200 from a guy at work. I have only seen pics of it and not yet seen it in person. I am looking for any advice I can get when I go to look at this thing. Its got a Great Bend loader, and a woods back hoe on it. The hour meter looks like 277 but I assume that probably rolled over a time or two. I have read about the back hoes using the 3 point hitch are less reliable than sub frame mounted ones. I am not sure how this one operates but someone could probably tell me by the pics. The loader looked like it had some heat put to it or something, maybe tried lifting something too heavy. I am just looking for any information I can get before I go look at this thing so Im not going in blind. Its a good deal so I'd like to scoop it up. Also, if he cant find the key how does one go about getting a new one?

There were too many pics to have to edit each one so heres the link
http://s1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc405/rau1c/

Thanks in advance,
Chuck

Green Mountain Slim

Equipment
Kubota B8200, Kioti C2610 Cab, BX1500, B7100 (kinda)
Feb 23, 2010
Morrisville, Vermont
What's the price? I hope it's low because it looks like a lot of work. From what I can tell of the backhoe it is a sub-frame mounted backhoe which will work just fine. I'm more concerned about the FEL. It looks too big to be on that tractor.

Are you going to restore the body? That will take some work as well, and you should probably have a certified mechanic check it out as it looks well used. Fluids and filters should be a major concern.

If everything seems to work well before you have a mechanic check it out ask for a trial period and make sure you get it to the mechanic. Remember the 3PH is an important part of the tractor and you won't be able to tell if it's working with the backhoe attached. Does he have the arms for the 3PH to go with it? That's a few extra bucks if you have to buy them when you decide to attach a back blade, or rotary tiller.

Do your homework and you should be fine. The B8200 is a great tractor. :)

X2K

Equipment
BX24
May 10, 2011
CT
He's looking to get 9k for everything pictured. You said you were concerned about the loader being too big? The loader? Or the bucket on it? I see in the pics that he has an extra bucket that I believe is the original for that loader. The cosmetics don't concern me as much as the mechanics. I will definatly be putting some hours into it to bring it up to my specs as I can see she's looking a bit rough. I will check on the 3ph arms as well. How do I go about helping him get a replacement key for it?

DsBota

Equipment
B8200, G1800
Apr 13, 2010
Milton, Ontario, Canada
I agree with what Green Mountain Slim says, the loader looks fine but the bucket thats on there looks huge. What concerns me about the cosmetics is if it's been taken care that way then chances are the routine maintenance hasn't been done either. You can get a new key from Kubota all you need is the model number. I think 9 grand is way to high of a asking price, just saw a B21 in solid condition for 10 up here in Canada which they tend to sell for a bit more.

cmorningstar01

Equipment
B7500HST LA302 FEL 5'Finish Mower B5100E 46" Snow Plow 22 ton splitter
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
I would rather spend a few thousand more and get a nicer machine,

This one looks like it has not been very well taken care of and I agree if the owner did not take care of it cosmetically then they probably did not take care of it mechanically,

The burn marks on the loader would concern me, Why were both sides heated in both spots on each side, Could it been because the machine was overloaded and they twisted and needed straightening or were the lower sections cut and shortened, Are there weld seams at these burn marks.

The hour meter seems upside down, is it loose, Is it even the original hour meter, Does it show evidence of being tampered with.

In photo 7 you can see the top link and what appears to be the lift levers,From what I can see the backhoe could be a 3 point hitch mount and if so you should be able to test the 3 point.

In todays economy $9000 is a lot of money and in my opinion that machine is just not worth it. While there appears to be a lot included in the price(if everything shown in the pics is included~trailer/extra bucket/MMM) If the machine needs a lot of work or has been severely abused then you may end up spending several thousand dollars more before you even get to use it.

Just my opinion
Val

X2K

Equipment
BX24
May 10, 2011
CT
I agree about the loader. Possibly tweaked at one time. I've never actually seen the machine so I really just need to go examine it and see if it's something I would get involved in. The cosmetics don't scare me as long as the hydros and engine are good. I agree that it probably was not maintained the best. I've looked at several machines online in my area and the cost is much greater. I realize I am going to have to put some cash into it but for now I'm not looking to pick up a gem for my yard.

X2K

Equipment
BX24
May 10, 2011
CT
In one of the other pics there is another bucket that I would assume is the correct bucket. Green Mountain that's one nice looking tractor there. Is that a 16' or 18' trailer? Is the backhoe frame mounted or 3ph? Can you make a 3ph backhoe frame mounted for an 8200?

Last edited:

Green Mountain Slim

Equipment
Kubota B8200, Kioti C2610 Cab, BX1500, B7100 (kinda)
Feb 23, 2010
Morrisville, Vermont
X2K it is a 16', 7000lb trailer and I have a subframe mounted Woods 6500 backhoe on my tractor. When I bought it the subframe wouldn't work with my tractor so I had to buy one that would and I had to have the FEL to attach the subframe to. In the case of a 3 ph backhoe there may be a conversion kit, but you would need the correct FEL to attach the subframe.

The FEL on the B8200 you're looking at has probably been modified in several ways. Whether you could ever use a subframe with it would be a question for a mechanic, but I would be sceptical. :confused: If you look around on Craig's List or TractorHouse.com you can get a better idea of what you should be looking for and how much is a reasonable price to pay.

If a modification has been done correctly most of the time there is not much to worry about, but I don't see that kind of attention to detail in the pictures you provided. I don't know what this tractor looked like before so I can't say for sure if there has been an improvement under the current owner. That may be the case, much to everyone's surprise.