B7500 main 30A fuse blows on start

hso

Equipment
B7500
Jun 27, 2012
knoxville, tn, usa
Our B7500 pops the main 30A slow blow fuse when we try to start it. We've tried to find any exposed wiring and all that we could see was a right blinker wire that needed some electrical tape to cover an exposed section.

Any suggestions would be appreciated on how to start the thing or troubleshoot the problem further before we have to have it in to the shop.

hso

Equipment
B7500
Jun 27, 2012
knoxville, tn, usa
A little more information -

We were able to get all the lights on without a problem and only overloaded the 30A fuse when the switch was turned to start.

Is there a chance the glow plug could be the culprit or are the most likely problems in the starter or switch?

Thanks

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
The power for the starter itself does not go through the 30 A fuse. The power to energize the solenoid probably does. I would definitely check the glow plugs for excess draw.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Try looking for a problem at the switch and perhaps bypassing to see if you can get a start without blowing the fuse. Confirm machine in neutral.

Other culprit could be starter solenoid somehow failed. Might be easier to disconnect control wire from solenoid and turn switch and see if fuse blows. Solenoid (coil) could be shorted internally or to chassis ground.

Could be an interlock safety switch hiding in the start-control circuit gone bad either failed or wire somehow shorted to chassis--pinched, abraded.

Depending on age of machine and how maintained and stored (weather) I'd bet on switch followed by interlock then solenoid---especially if problem is sudden onset with no history (or a history: switch flaky or have to jiggle sometimes).

Probably need to break out the test light and / or multimeter to do some serious wire tracing. Using a wiring diagram would help--probably essential if not resolved quickly--troubleshoot.

You'll need a supply of fuses on hand or one of those aftermarket test fuses that is resettable---a "breaker"-type instead of a 'blow'-type.

Throughout process be aware and watch for 'hot' wires might draw a 12-v arc and either blow (other) fuses or hit something it shouldn't. It'll be a PiA but keep battery neg term disconnected between individual tests.

Be careful: once I unknowingly bumped the shifter into gear and got an unexpected start when jiggling an interlock wire and the durn thing jumped at me.

Keep us informed of progress and results, please.

/s/Stubb

murky

Mar 30, 2012
Vancouver, WA
Our B7500 pops the main 30A slow blow fuse when we try to start it. We've tried to find any exposed wiring and all that we could see was a right blinker wire that needed some electrical tape to cover an exposed section.

Any suggestions would be appreciated on how to start the thing or troubleshoot the problem further before we have to have it in to the shop.
If you didn't buy it new, there is no guarantee that your tractor is wired like the wiring diagram. Mine certainly isn't. My B8200 has a 15A branch and a 10A branch and basically everything that works has been put onto the 15A and the 10A has a short in it.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Pull the power-in line to your glow plug controller to further isolate where you've got a short or a failed controller or it might still be in the switch itself. Keep searching and please advise results. This assumes you have a glow plug controller, some way older may not especially if uses the cigarette-lighter indicator.