B7200 w/1630 loader Hydraulic Question

regularjay

Equipment
B7200E
Jun 21, 2009
Harford County, MD USA
B7200 w/1630 loader Hydraulic Question " Update Still Having Issues"

I have a B7200 with a 1630 loader. The loader doesn't seem to have the "oomph" it ought to. So, I Teed a pressure guage in the supply line to the loader control valve. When stalled I'm seeing 1350 lbs. I have seen numerous posts about "shimming" to up the pressure however I havent seen what to shim or how much. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jay

Last edited:

ram042400

Equipment
B7200HST-D, B1640 Loader, Bush Hog 665
Jun 27, 2010
Utica, NY
I have a B7200 w/ the 1640 loader. Mine also did not seem to have any oomph. While mine was being serviced at the dealer, they put a gauge on it, and it was only running at apprx. 900lbs. They said that it should have been around 1750lbs. They shimmed the hydraulic block relief valve on the motor w/ a washer to bring the p.s.i. up to where it needed to be. Totally different loader. Couldn't pick up the front of the tractor before. Now can do it at idle. Also may want to check the loader control valve relief cartridge. If you unscrew the cover on the relief cartridge, (little protrusion near the joystick on the loader valve) there should be a screw that takes an allen head. If you screw in that screw/threaded rod it will increase the pressure to the loader, in case it is set too low.

ram042400

Equipment
B7200HST-D, B1640 Loader, Bush Hog 665
Jun 27, 2010
Utica, NY
Thanks Ram042400. I would love a little more detail about the hydraulic block relief valve if possible.

Thanks,
Jay
From what I can tell you, the relief valve is on the right side of the tractor, by the hydraulic pump. I know you have to take off the right side motor panel to get to it. I didn't get an actual look at it, but I guess that it is a cylindrical rod that when you take it apart there is a relief spring in side along with "shim(s)" inside. Shims=washers. Different thickness, i.e. thicker increase the pressure and vice versa. I believe that the spring and washer come out towards the front of the motor though, from what I can remember how it was explained to me. I don't have a diagram to post. Hopefully this will get you started in the hunt.

regularjay

Equipment
B7200E
Jun 21, 2009
Harford County, MD USA
Bringing up an old thread. I shimmed the hydraulic relief spring beneath the seat on the right side. Added 2 shims which should have brought the pressure up a couple hundred pounds but I see no change at all. Is there a relief valve in the pump itself?

Thanks

DsBota

Equipment
B8200, G1800
Apr 13, 2010
Milton, Ontario, Canada
Did you check this:
Also may want to check the loader control valve relief cartridge. If you unscrew the cover on the relief cartridge, (little protrusion near the joystick on the loader valve) there should be a screw that takes an allen head. If you screw in that screw/threaded rod it will increase the pressure to the loader, in case it is set too low.

regularjay

Equipment
B7200E
Jun 21, 2009
Harford County, MD USA
I did indeed take apart that protrusion. It did not have any allen screw to adjust but I DID find another spring with 1 shim behind it - I rooted around in my random hardware department till I came up with an appropriate size washer and put it in with the original shim -viola- about 300# more pressure. Ive been afraid to take anything apart on the valve itself but it was actually quite simple. I really wish I had figured this out months ago.

Thanks all for your input.

Jay

regularjay

Equipment
B7200E
Jun 21, 2009
Harford County, MD USA
7 Months later and I'm still having trouble with this thing. It's been sitting pretty much all summer but today I wanted to dig one post hole. I have a pretty heavy Bush Hog brand post hole digger. I put it on with a 9" auger and dug less than 1' and was totally unable to raise it back up. Soil here is fairly dense clay so it's pretty heavy but honestly I was less tha 1 foot in the ground! I used this digger once before with a 12" auger with the same result - I had hoped it would lift the 9" one.

I had plumbed a pressure guage into the supply to the loader control vale when last working on this tractor and it's still there. When "stalled" trying to lift the auger it was reading less than 1000 psi. When lifting a loaded bucket it moves awfully slow and reads the same 900psi or so. Revving the engine to almost 3000 RPM doesn't raise the pressure to even 1000 psi. My earlier shimming adventures seem not to have lasted at all. I havent used this tractor at all since I shimmed as described in the posts above. I topped off the fluid before I started today. Fluid was changed and strainer replaced less than 50 hours ago.

I suppose that my heavy post hole digger and clay soil isn't helping things but am I expecting too much? My research on-line leads me to believe that I ought to be seeing twice the pressure I am. Is it possible to see that kind of increase through additional shimming? I wonder where the pressure went from last time.

I bought this unit pretty well worn, hour meter indicates around 690 but I have no way of knowing if or how many times the three digit meter may have rolled over.

I'm supposing that my "shimming" ought to concentrate on the valve at the actual pump as I havent messed with that yet. A pic or diagram would boost my confidence in messing about with it if anyone can help.

Not sure if it matters but the control valve for my 1630 loader seems pretty worn. I don't know if its possible that some pressure is leaking past worn seals into the return and not making it to the "power beyond" port or not.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jay