B7200 Overhheating Problem

Bellinghamster

Equipment
B7100 with FEL
Nov 25, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I've seen several radiators that looked clean but were completely blocked with dust/grass/fuzz inside the fins. Remove the metal guard/screen, put a light behind the radiator and look at it from the front - you'll probably be surprised how little light you'll see. Unfortunately, that's what caused a baked (cracked) head on my engine by the previous owner. My neighbors B6100 was heading the same way. He looked at it and thought it was clean. I shined the light and it was at least 90% blocked. I had to remove my radiator, spray with degreaser (the purple stuff), let soak, wash with a hose, blow with air, and repeat several times until it was completely clear. Ran the hose in the top of the radiator at full flow and made sure it ran out the bottom hose connection point instead of overflowing, making sure the internal passages were clear. I also flushed my block by removing the block drain plug and poking around in there with a wire while running a hose in the top, spraying the hose in the bottom, etc. until no more gunk came out.

blalockw

Equipment
B7200
Jun 25, 2010
Cullman, Alabama
All,

I just finished changing oil. I found absolutely no sign of antifreeze or anything else for than matter. When I cracked the drain plug nothing came out, in fact no oil came out until plug was almost out. Thank God. Yesterday I did wash out the radiator (for a long time I might add) like I said I did find an area clogged right behind the battery. I'm hoping it was enough to be causing this problem. I was able to better see the oil level with the new oil. Although it's still a bit tricky, thanks for the tip Bulldog. Actually, thanks to all of you, this forum is outstanding. I was afraid it would be one of those where if you don't know anything no one wants to fool with you. I've run into those before. I'll be cranking up the old beast after lunch and mowing a couple of acres. I'll let you guys know what happens.

blalockw

Equipment
B7200
Jun 25, 2010
Cullman, Alabama
Ok, everything looks good. I mowed for approx 1 hour. Other than the initial coolant that came out because I filled radiator to the top, when I shut the tractor down...nothing! And that's a good thing!! No water came boiling over.
I guess I've got this thing licked but I want to see over the next few weeks to make sure it doesn't happen again. I want to thank each and every one of you for your input. I couldn't have done it without you.

I do have one more question, and I think it's an easy one. I noticed my battery
doesn't sit in the area it's supposed to (lips on the bottom of the compartment where it looks like the battery should sit) also, it sits right against the radiator screen maybe 1/4" clearance. Is that right? Did someone put a bigger battery in the tractor? It seems to me it's blocking air flow (maybe part of the problem). Any ideas?

phildac

Equipment
1984 B8200E, L260F
Jul 29, 2009
Wentzville, MO
blalockw,

Glad to hear the oil was coolant free. Sound like it might be good now. Keep us posted over the next couple weeks with your findings.

Good Luck!

phildac

blalockw

Equipment
B7200
Jun 25, 2010
Cullman, Alabama
Well, I've run the tractor now 3 or 4 times since I last posted. I want everyone to know that it's running great and no overheating. Thanks again to everyone who gave me advice. I don't know which idea fixed it but it seems to be running fantastic now. I hope I can contribute one day to someone else on this forum. Again, thank you guys so much for all of your help.