B7200 HSTD steering box drain?

Swamper

Equipment
B7200HSTD RC60-72H
Nov 24, 2010
Punxsutawney, PA. USA
I've had the tractor for 6 months. Plowed snow with it all winter. Great tractor! The steering box works like a new one, and I would like to keep it that way. I have been searching the archives and found several references to draining the steering box. The parts manual shows only one plug, and it is at the top of the box. Is there a way to drain the box without removing it from the tractor? I hope I don't have to remove a perfectly good box just to change oil in it. Am I missing something? ( Good possibility!) Thanks, Larry

Swamper

Equipment
B7200HSTD RC60-72H
Nov 24, 2010
Punxsutawney, PA. USA
I finally figured out how to change the oil in the steering box. It was so simple once I thought about it. Just turn the tractor upside down, wait for the oil to drain, turn her back over and fill it up. Piece of cake!

gktilton

Equipment
79 B7100 w/ FEL, Deere 261 Finish Mwr, Woods M4 Bush Hg, Potato Plow, Cultivator
May 5, 2010
Hooksett, NH
On my 7100 on the right hand side near the base there is a regular bolt that serves no purpose, it is the drain. I didn't see it on the 7200 parts diagram, but would be my first guess.

Swamper

Equipment
B7200HSTD RC60-72H
Nov 24, 2010
Punxsutawney, PA. USA
Thank you for the reply gktilton. I checked the parts manual and looked all over the box on tractor and did not see anything that looked like a drain. There isn't any bolt or plug on the lower part of the box. I finally just used a Mityvac with a small tube worked down to the bottom and sucked the old oil out. I got out the full amount that it is supposed to hold. There wasn't any sign of water or metal, just a little dark sludge at the bottom. I would guess that oil has been in there since 1986. Hopefully the box will now last another 25 years.