B7200 Finish Mower

jburns80

Equipment
Kubota B7200
Apr 6, 2022
Mansfield, GA
I was just given a B7200 that needs some love. Overall its in good condition, just needed some hoses replaced and some leaks fixed. However, I've been reading around about finish mowers. Would it be wiser to buy a new finish mower say the FDR1660 or an Older LandPride 2572? According to the manual this Tractor is 14hp at the pto and I see a lot of finish mowers that require 15+. I've read that if you operate the B7200 at 2800 rpm with a 5ft finish mower it should be fine, but I'm curious if the older vs newer mowers would make a difference. The driving factor of course is cost, I can get a used Finish mower for under 1000 bucks but newer can get up to 3k.

Last edited:

Jhilde

Equipment
B2650
Apr 26, 2021
Saskatchewan
If it were me I would pick up a 5' mower. If you have really tough heavy grass then a 4' might be better. Alot depends on the type of grass your cutting. Used mowers are always the better value. You can replace all the bearings belts and blades for a couple hundred bucks and you have a basically new mower.

Reactions: 1 users

jburns80

Equipment
Kubota B7200
Apr 6, 2022
Mansfield, GA
If it were me I would pick up a 5' mower. If you have really tough heavy grass then a 4' might be better. Alot depends on the type of grass your cutting. Used mowers are always the better value. You can replace all the bearings belts and blades for a couple hundred bucks and you have a basically new mower.
Thanks for the advice, I had just heard that newer implements were more efficient and would be easier on the old tractor but I'm new to tractor ownership so I'm still reading and learning as much as possible.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
There are differences amongst mowers in terms of their capabilities. I would look for a 5 ft light duty mower. You can review the specifications and compare the various offerings. You won't be driving over trees with your power limitations so there would be little need for purchasing a heavy duty more expensive mower . Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
I've been running a 60 inch King Cutter side discharge behind my B6200 for close to twenty years. If the grass is very very high and wet the motor starts to lag and blow some black smoke. I just raise the deck a hair and the problem is solved.
When cutting on a hill the weight of the mower does try to steer the tractor. Not a problem if you are ready for it. The first time was a pucker in the pants and just crabbing down the hill.
This combination works well for me. PTO has a issue trying to lift the weight off the ground but that is a minor issue.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I was just given a B7200 that needs some love. Overall its in good condition, just needed some hoses replaced and some leaks fixed. However, I've been reading around about finish mowers. Would it be wiser to buy a new finish mower say the FDR1660 or an Older LandPride 2572? According to the manual this Tractor is 14hp at the pto and I see a lot of finish mowers that require 15+. I've read that if you operate the B7200 at 2800 rpm with a 5ft finish mower it should be fine, but I'm curious if the older vs newer mowers would make a difference. The driving factor of course is cost, I can get a used Finish mower for under 1000 bucks but newer can get up to 3k.
I pulled a Woods RD7200 (72") rear discharge finish mower with my B7200DT for a couple decades. Its too heavy for the tractor and pushes it around but it cuts fine. The 3pt will lift it but at the risk of breaking expensive things. Power wise if the grass gets over 6" I have to mow in 2nd gear. A light weight 60" rear discharge mower should be fine. I alsobhave a 48" mower and mowing time with it is way to slow.

Dan