B7100HST-D, ext. Hydraulics line placement

B7100hst-d

Oct 31, 2010
NLR AR
I want to build a tractor driven hydraulic log splitter.

I've tried to do the research and haven't found something idiot proof enough (for me) to definitively say how to do it.

Ref pic:

For my hydraulic take off, I can use the switch under the seat (#1 in pic), and I saw reference to using the HST trans fill port (#2 in pic) as a return.

Does anyone know what threading these two fittings are?
Is it necessary to use a T for the HST fill, or can I simply remove the return line when/if I need to add/switch fluid?
I'm not expecting to power a monster splitter, but will this supply enough volume for a small/medium rig (est 10klbs splitting force)?

I understand that I'll have to switch hydro power between the 3pt and the accessory, and that's not a problem.

If anyone has already built one, can you please post links/pics?

Thank you in advance for your help

DsBota

Equipment
B8200, G1800
Apr 13, 2010
Milton, Ontario, Canada
I hate to discourage you but I'm trying to save you some money unless you have the materials already handy. I've read that the hydraulic pumps on the B7100 won't be up to snuff for the large rams that a log splitter requires(disappointing eh:(). You'll be waiting forever for it to run it's cycle. Do a search on CUT's and log splitters. There is a lot of information out there.

B7100hst-d

Oct 31, 2010
NLR AR
DsBota: thanks for the reply.

Anyone know what pressure the factory pump puts out? (can't find it in the manual)
If the tractor isn't moving/lifting etc is all the pressure available at the hydro takeoff?

I was thinking that if it was able to run a hydro tiller etc, that it should run a small splitter, my neighbors little one only has a 3.5hp brings on it, so the pump can't be very big.

The cylinder I'm planning on using is about 3.5" OD x 20"long w/a 1.25" rod or so, I've already got the cylinder, 4"x8"x6' tubing, and a control valve.

I can add a motor as I've got a couple laying around, but I'm trying to keep from having to buy a $200 pump to add to the mix as everything else is already laying around here (except the hoses/fittings).

DsBota

Equipment
B8200, G1800
Apr 13, 2010
Milton, Ontario, Canada
Sounds like you have everything you need. Tractordata.com has the B7100 pump listed as 3 GPM. If you have everything and don't mind it being slow then I would go for it. You should check to see what size pump your neighbor has. You don't see 3.5 hp log splitters very often.

B7100hst-d

Oct 31, 2010
NLR AR
DsB: thanks again, my googlefu was weak on the pump volume search

I think I can run around 8-10k psi, and the neighbors does pretty good as long as it's not real knotty and actually moves pretty well for one guy splitting (not a lot of waiting)as his has an assist spring on the return.

I may set it up and try it and then convert to a driven pump later (and second, or larger cylinder). Found decent 13gpm dual stage pumps for $140ish as well.

B7100hst-d

Oct 31, 2010
NLR AR
Can anyone confirm that the threads are both 1/2" NPS (straight pipe thread)?

and, where's your favorite online place to order hydro fittings (pref US)?

Thanks in advance