B7100D (gear) front drive not engaging

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I had this under another thread with the wrong title. I asked moderators to fix the title, but so far no update, so starting again now that I have more info.

With the tractor on jack stands I put it in low and shifted in/out of front drive with and without the clutch engaged. No difference, no grinding gears. Got off with tires turning (oh well, no helper, what can you do?) and noted the drive shaft wasn't doing a thing. Fiddling carefully with the shifter, it feels "firm", but I think that's maybe from the detents and just the shaft bushing. Searching turned up a PDF service manual, which was of little help for the specific diagnostic, but it does provide the exploded diagram of that assembly. Just based on what I observe, I am guessing that the "shoe" (#50 for those with the same manual) is sheared or otherwise not functional. It's not clear, but the shoe seems to be the sliding element that translates rotational motion into linear motion for the sliding engage. Looks like anything else should provide some sort of feedback when engaging while turning.

Does this make sense, and has anyone ever seen this? Looks like a visual is possible by removing the transmission top plate, but I'm not about to attempt that this late in the evening. If no dire warnings turn up here, and nothing else comes up to interfere, I'll likely go in from the top tomorrow after noon or so when my awning (on the East side) has it under shade.

Other than the excessive blow-by, which is major work regardless of cause, this is the last non-functional item on the tractor. If I can work this out, then I think it's a good candidate for rebuild or transplant. I've seen that the 850D and 950D are near bolt-in replacements with significant upgrades (not the least of which is force circulation of coolant), so with rebuild kits near $1k, and running motors only a bit more (and hoping I don't get one just as bad), I may be looking into that between now and the Fall (earliest time I would want to tackle the rebuild).

Related question:
Is there a decent service manual out there with full system diagnostics like you find in Automotive manuals. Would be nice to have an ordered check list for "front drive does not engage" from most likely (and/or easiest to test) on to less pleasant alternatives. I've got OEM shop manuals for all my other vehicles, makes this downloaded Kubota service manual look like a grade school primer.

Last edited:

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
Try to check if the splines between the output of the transmission and the front drive shaft are stripped. This would allow the gears in the transmission to function normally but no power be applied to the front drive shaft.

big boy

Equipment
1980 b7100hstd mmm box scraper
Jun 7, 2013
washoe valley nevada washoe
my thoughts is i would slide the mud cover on the drive shaft to front component to be able to turn shaft by hand .this would tell me which direction to look for the trouble ,either front differantal or toward transmission. its an easy place to start.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
With all 4 wheels in the air, running with the trans in first, rear tire turning, and front drive engaged, the front splined stub output of the transmission is not turning. Spline is not stripped, it's definitely not getting power out of the transmission.

It feels as if the shift fork is not doing it's thing. I suspect something in the actuation mechanism is not working. So I very carefully shifted the front drive with it running and transmission in first with rear tire turning and without using the clutch. If the shift fork was working, this should have produced some feedback in the form of "grinding" or resistance/vibration to the shift handle. But it felt like it always does, with no physical or audible feedback.