B7100 Steering swap?

Puriri Farm

Equipment
B7100
Aug 17, 2019
New Plymouth
My B7100 just killed its second aftermarket steering shaft/nut. This time the lower 1/4 of the nut snapped off. The first one died because whoever repaired it (before me) didn't put in the correct spacing shims, and it chewed up the bearings.

Before I go out and buy another aftermarket shaft/nut assembly and drive it with my fingers permanently crossed that it won't break again, I wonder if there's something more solid from another tractor which would be close to working?

My panel is non-functioning, so I don't care about that so much, just would like to have steering that doesn't cost me a replacement and downtime every 12 months.

This is definitely an old tractor which does work rather than a faithful restoration using only original parts.

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
If you're looking for a modification requiring reengineering, search tractor electric power steering on YouTube. Kits are on eBay. Lots of options there. Of course the algorithm will give you other hydraulic options.

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
If you're looking for a modification requiring reengineering, search tractor electric power steering on YouTube. Kits are on eBay. Lots of options there. Of course the algorithm will give you other hydraulic options.

The problem with electric power steering is.....

The servo units interpose between the steering wheel and the steering box.
it just adds to the load on the steering box without useful feed back at the steering wheel.
The box still must be in A1 condition.

Pretty much what you don't want in this case.

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
The problem with electric power steering is.....

The servo units interpose between the steering wheel and the steering box.

it just adds to the load on the steering box without useful feed back at the steering wheel.

The box still must be in A1 condition.

Pretty much what you don't want in this case.

As I said in my post, "reengineering". It would require the use of a small rack and pinion unit or a manual steering box. Saw this exact same setup on a pulling tractor last week in Plainfield, PA