B7100: Save or Part?

TheSaturnV

Equipment
B7100
Oct 19, 2022
USA
New to this form, hello!

Saw this for scrap price on CL and snagged it for the engine and loader. Pretty darn rough. What’s the consensus, part out and scrap the rest?

What I see: Missing steering shaft/box /wheel, dash, most wiring, side panels, cracked exhaust manifold, crushed hood, broken 3pt attachments…just for starters.

Not to mention where some lazy hack cut up the midsection.

Suggestions? Anyone have parts lol!

Thanks all.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

TheSaturnV

Equipment
B7100
Oct 19, 2022
USA
Yes, someone rigged up that piece of rod and steered the thing by pushing/pulling on it. 😅

Any other pics I can take to help?

My Barn

Equipment
Kubota, Ford
Sep 14, 2022
Michigan
Looks like bone yard...By the pix's not much to part out? Outside of the rims.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
simple 'winter project'.... hope to see progress pictures and some real nice ones come Spring !!!

cmorningstar01

Equipment
B7500HST LA302 FEL 5'Finish Mower B5100E 46" Snow Plow 22 ton splitter
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
Since you currently own a B7100 it would make sense to save it for parts or to pull any part that is salvageable from it, Put it in a corner with a tarp over it for the time you need a part, You can pull all the good parts and sell the scrap but in my experience I always wind up needing that part I sold and wind up paying a lot of money for it.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
If I could get the engine running, (and it ran well) I'd build it. But that's just me.

Info:
It is the old style 4 bolt axle rather than the newer 6 bolt axle.

The FEL is a B219. You will have no trouble selling that, people are looking for them all the time.
If you decide to sell the FEL, include the subframe, spool valve, hydraulic pump, driveshaft w flex couplings,
and the splined hub that bolts to the front pulley on the crankshaft.

If you were near me, I might buy it just for a parts machine.:)

Keep us informed.

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
I too saw that ad on Oklahoma Craig’s List. My thought was the FEL was the prize. We have a classified ad section and you can part it out there.

Thatoneguy

Equipment
Kubota b7200
May 20, 2022
Southern California
You might be able to locate a running and driving tractor without the loader for a decent price and add the loader you already have. Im not exactly sure but i believe that loader fit other model's which might broaden your search. Im confident some on here knows what models it fit.

Deuce

Equipment
2016 B2650, 1977 B7100
Aug 8, 2015
New Jersey
I'd say that's a great donor machine. I think you'd get too deep spending into bringing it back to life. Unfortunately the hacked and damaged parts are scrap, but it has the loader and is a great source of parts for other 100 models out there, which are becoming harder to find.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
New to this form, hello!

Saw this for scrap price on CL and snagged it for the engine and loader. Pretty darn rough. What’s the consensus, part out and scrap the rest?

What I see: Missing steering shaft/box /wheel, dash, most wiring, side panels, cracked exhaust manifold, crushed hood, broken 3pt attachments…just for starters.

Not to mention where some lazy hack cut up the midsection.

Suggestions? Anyone have parts lol!

Thanks all.
It's a keeper, I'd store it on my front lawn so I can sees nobody foolin withs it

Steve NC

Equipment
B7100D, L2900DT, ZD21, G6200,
Dec 29, 2014
Sandy Bottom North Carolina
Wow that thing has been beaten like a rented mule! I think it would be best used as a parts donor for another tractor in better shape. In my opinion I would put just enough time into it to see what actually works so you would have a better idea of it’s condition but I don’t think I would try to fix it to use. If the transmission and front axle are in decent shape, I would look for a 2wd B7100 in decent shape and convert it into a 4wd loader tractor. The majority of the parts on these tractors will interchange except for the obvious parts related to the 4wd. Here in my area the 2wd versions with a mid mount mower come up for sale often and usually are reasonably priced. A B6100 can also be used for a lot of parts as well. A B5100 won’t provide as many useful parts past the sheet metal. Hope that helps. Good luck with it, Id love to find one like that so I could snag the loader.

Reactions: 1 users

TheSaturnV

Equipment
B7100
Oct 19, 2022
USA
Yeah it looks like an oak tree fell on it. 😂 The problem is these are not very common around here. The engine isn’t seized and my decision is really going to come down to how it runs.

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
When I see machines that have been abused, my first thought is that I wish I had a film of how it went from new to current and all of the stupid stuff that was done to it. Ugh! Mine was no exception.

Having just restored an L35, and past motorcycles, I can say most things can be restored if you have the time, energy and cash. Sometimes less cash than you might imagine - but a lot of time. Mine was a year and a half.

Perhaps making a really good list of "must haves" and "wants" from stem to stern and then trying to locate used / new parts from the list with prices is a start. At least you know right up front if you want to do it.

And then decide if the restoration is to be "just running", "showroom new" or something in-between.

Have you ever done a restoration? Do you have a good supply of tools? The up-front costs might turn you off - or could be an addiction to do more!

TheSaturnV

Equipment
B7100
Oct 19, 2022
USA
When I see machines that have been abused, my first thought is that I wish I had a film of how it went from new to current…

Perhaps making a really good list of "must haves" and "wants" from stem to stern and then trying to locate used / new parts.

Have you ever done a restoration? Do you have a good supply of tools? The up-front costs might turn you off - or could be an addiction to do more!
Agreed across the board. Yes I’ve restored a ‘67 Sears Suburban and am trying to wrap up a ‘70 Cub Cadet 147. Here’s my YouTube channel that chronicles those efforts:

YouTube Channel

That’s one of the last episodes I did, fast forward past the long intro, those used to be “in.”

My perspective on these old beaters is more like, “what would I pay for a working 4wd subcompact diesel with an FEL?”

Hopefully I can squeeze in some time this week to see if I can get it running. I brought an ‘84 Cub Cadet equipped with the D600 Kubota back to life, so I have a good idea what a dormant diesel needs to get going again.

If it runs good, I’m thinking of making it my next project for the channel.

Last edited:

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
Aha! Then you are no stranger to restoration!
I'll check out your channel - Always impresses me how you tubers do the filming, editing, camera angles and such.
I've done some and it's a lot of work!

What software do you use for the editing? I am looking at freebees to learn editing my drone stuff.

Keep us informed on the 7100