B7100 ignition switch help

Alpo

Oct 25, 2020
Idaho
My switch does not lock into the panel as it should. Removing the faceplate nut, there is a notch in the panel and a notch in the switch but nothing that goes into the slots to keep it from rotating. I've looked at the parts illustration and at numerous pics of new switches but nothing shows the detail of what goes into the notch. It does not appear that a "key" was sheared off from the switch body. Anyone know what I'm missing? I'd buy a new switch if I knew that it has the key to align with the notch in the panel. Thanks

Carl in France

Equipment
B1400, a box and a single blade plough!
Sep 4, 2019
Haute Pyrénées
I think only the originals fit the hole perfectly. And with the age of your 7100 they are probably not available.
My B1400 is the same and i just bought a generic switch with the lock rings that go either side of the panel. I did
image.jpeg
though have to fit a largerwasher on the outside of the panel to aid in fitting, and tightened that chappie down.
It does not move and works fine.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Many switches installed into panels have a flat on the switch and a corresponding flat spot in the panel such that their orientation is definite. Others have a groove on the switch and a corresponding projection of panel material which fits into this groove, again making positive orientation. If your hole is perfectly round the only way to keep the switch from turning is probably very securely tightening the retaining nut. You could try a thin rubber washer on the switch side to increase friction and reduce turning.

Alpo

Oct 25, 2020
Idaho
Thanks. Yes, there is a notch on the panel but not a corresponding male part on the switch body.

tthorkil

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M9540HDC12 / LX2610HSDC / ZD1011-48 / Bobcat S250
Jan 1, 2011
Bagley, MN, United States
Maybe there is supposed to be a washer like this
1619569529262.png
that goes through the panel notch and into the switch body notch.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
On my L185 I recall that it had a notch in the dash and the body of the switch had a protruding key on the side. You may just need to get it lined up and tighten up the external nut

Reactions: 1 user

Chesapeake

Equipment
B6100
Apr 1, 2021
Washington
My tractor is a B6100, very similar. Both my factory ignition switch and the new switch I have in a box (66706-55120) have a very small key (square protrusion) that keys into the panel notch. The small square protrusion is at the bottom of the notch that is in the ignition switch.

The ignition has a key and a notch.
The dash panel has a notch.
The aluminum trim plate has a key.

Attachments

Alpo

Oct 25, 2020
Idaho
@Chesapeake
My tractor is a B6100, very similar. Both my factory ignition switch and the new switch I have in a box (66706-55120) have a very small key (square protrusion) that keys into the panel notch. The small square protrusion is at the bottom of the notch that is in the ignition switch.

The ignition has a key and a notch.
The dash panel has a notch.
The aluminum trim plate has a key.
That's the "key" right there....thanks for the photo. You confirmed what I thought...that the small key is sheared off of mine. The tractor is new to me so I didn't have the luxury of the history of it. I just ordered a new OEM switch. Thanks!