B7100 HST Fluid in front Axle

Ditch Doc

Equipment
B7100HST
Nov 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Hi all,

I'm stumped on something. Figured I'd ask a bunch of people who have a lot more experience with this than I have.

I have a '94 B7100 HST. I bought it last year, but have little idea when or how it has been serviced. So, I figured I should change all of the fluids and filters and grease all of the fittings I can find. I'm a bit confused about the fluid levels in the front axle and the hubs. The dealership could not give me a clear answer but said that I could use either gear oil or UDT. I did find this thread, which suggested to pour 0.7qt into the axle housing, and 0.15qt into each hub. When I drained the gear oil out, there was 1.5qt in the axle and 0.5qt in each hub.

Which set of numbers is correct? According to the markings on the filter, the transmission was serviced about 100hrs ago in 2008, and still seems to work ok. If the numbers in the forum were correct, is the excess fluid harmful? I replaced with UDT at the same volumes as were drained, but am open to draining some out if needed.

Also, I drained the transmission from a plug located at the mid PTO. There is what appears to be two more plugs near the rear axle (pic attached). There is one on each side. Do I need to pull these too, or is the same fluid I just replaced from the other plug?

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

Last edited:

seanbarr

Equipment
B7100DT (sold) - Branson 3520H
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA
I can't tell from the pics but I do recall that one set of "bolts" are actually wheel stops, to keep the wheels from turning too far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dwarner

Equipment
B7610 HST, Woods 6500
Aug 3, 2012
Enfield, CT
There are several drain plugs to remove when changing the fluid in the rear axle and transmission. They drain all the low points and fill from the same location in front of the seat.

Ditch Doc

Equipment
B7100HST
Nov 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC
There are several drain plugs to remove when changing the fluid in the rear axle and transmission. They drain all the low points and fill from the same location in front of the seat.
Cool. That solves that issue. Thanks!

Does anyone have any insight on the front axle levels?

jcansler

Feb 6, 2011
Texas
When I had my B7100 the manual called for 80-90 wt. gear, and may have also had UDT as a choice, but on the UDT I'm not certain, it's been a long time ago. I always used 80-90 wt. gear oil and never had any issues even after 2000+ hours on the clock. I hope this helps...

Joe

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I've seen many threads about people saying to switch to gear oil and the front axle.
So I asked three Kubota reps at the last dealer show I was at and they all told my either is fine but suggested to stay with UDT (factory fill) for my cooler climate.

And they said UDT has nothing to do with the axle seal leaks people complain about.

Ditch Doc

Equipment
B7100HST
Nov 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC
The local Kubota dealership suggested to use UDT in the front axle, but they weren't sure about how much to put in. The other thread suggested 0.7qt in the axle, and 0.15qt in each hub. When I drained it, what was actually there far exceeded these volumes. I don't believe that the gearing will generate enough heat for the oil to expand and cause the seals to leak if it is overfilled, but still... I'd hate to overfill it and possibly cause a problem.

Are the 0.7qt and 0.15qt volumes correct?

procraftmike

Equipment
1977 B7100DT w/B219 FEL
Jan 27, 2016
Neenah, WI
.70 for the center differential and .15 per each outside is correct (equals 1 quart total for complete change). That is what my manual calls for and that is what I drained out when I did mine a few months back.

I can't comment on what might happen by overfilling them. I know I am used to filling items like this up to the edge of the fill plug hole on other equipment, which is often recommended. Not so on the Kubota though.

Ditch Doc

Equipment
B7100HST
Nov 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC
.70 for the center differential and .15 per each outside is correct (equals 1 quart total for complete change). That is what my manual calls for and that is what I drained out when I did mine a few months back.

I can't comment on what might happen by overfilling them. I know I am used to filling items like this up to the edge of the fill plug hole on other equipment, which is often recommended. Not so on the Kubota though.
Huge help. I'll drain to the proper level and start looking around for a manual.

Thanks everyone for the help!

BundyBear

Equipment
B7100HST
May 22, 2016
Sydney, Australia
Ditch Doc,
How did you go with the front diff oil situation. I'm in exactly the same boat, a 94 b7100hst new to me and am looking to change the levels.

Owners Manual says .5lt centre and .15lt for each side
I&T workshop manual says 1.5lt centre and .5lt each side
I drained out .8lt centre and .6 each side.

Confused would be an under statement. Any light you can shed would be great.

Buddy Bear

ttfo

Oct 3, 2012
Custer, SD
I just want to check to see if there is enough fluid in the diff without draining it. Does anyone know if there is a way to just check it?

Thanks