B7100 HST engine overhaul

KEO316

Equipment
Kubota B7100
Oct 27, 2021
Colorado
I have a very nice B7100 4x4 HST with a D750 engine. About 2100 hours. It has low compression and after replacing head, valves and injectors, I think it needs a complete overhaul. Thinking of doing it myself.

I can get an overhaul kit on Ebay for $500, from Canada. Pistons, rings, wrist pins, gaskets, bearing inserts. Any comments?

My concerns are, do I have to break it in two to do it? Do I have to pull engine? or can I do it with front axle in place and the engine in place?
What special equipment do I need?

What special things do I have to concern myself with?
Eager for any and all comments.

IMG_9812.JPG

Last edited:

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
I was wondering what others are thinking about the hours. 2000 hours seems really low to me for a complete overhaul but I'm no expert on this.
Curious, did you buy it new? Were there traces of prior engine/tractor abuse?
From the looks of it, it appears it is well taken care of.

What symptoms does it have?
Did you do the work on the head replacement and such?
Did you actually do compression testing? What were the values?

KEO316

Equipment
Kubota B7100
Oct 27, 2021
Colorado
I was wondering what others are thinking about the hours. 2000 hours seems really low to me for a complete overhaul but I'm no expert on this.
Curious, did you buy it new? Were there traces of prior engine/tractor abuse?
From the looks of it, it appears it is well taken care of.

What symptoms does it have?
Did you do the work on the head replacement and such?
Did you actually do compression testing? What were the values?
Well, I think 2000 hours is very low for having the trouble I'm having. I know of some with almost 5000 hours on them with nothing done to them at all. It was running fine. I pulled it in shed one night then 2 weeks later went out to start it and it wouldn't fire a lick. Compression showed zero. (how could I even run it into the shed with zero compression?)
I'm reluctant to do an overhaul but not sure what else to do. Put new head and valves on it myself but it made no difference what so ever.
I bought it used from a small town here in Colorado 12 years ago, it had 650 hours on it. I've not used it hard and serviced it more often than required. It has some blow by but uses almost no oil.
again, compression testing ran zero on two cylinders and 80 on other. Oil in cylinders brought the two up to 50 and the other up to 100.

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
I'm sorry but have to ask:
Have you pulled the valve cover and looked for broken or stuck valves / valve train items?
Is it possible that something came undone and changed the valve timing?

" (how could I even run it into the shed with zero compression?)". Yes, my thoughts too. Is the engine getting air during the compression testing? Any clogs? Could a creature have up and died in the intake or exhaust?

" Put new head and valves on it myself but it made no difference what so ever. "
You did clarify something however - your valve job/head R&R was done to address the low compression.

Are there bubbles in the radiator or in the coolant system when cranking?

If you go through and check all the possibilities for no compression (other than rings/pistons) then it does look like you'll have to pull the head again. If that's the case, then dropping the pan and checking at least one of the two cylinders (removing a piston) that had zero compression might be the way to go.
I know - easier said than done.

Here's something I found:
AND

Last edited: