B7100 HST, Black Smoke under a load

Jimc3165

Equipment
1982 B7100 HST-D
Jul 22, 2015
CLEVELAND, GA
When mowing with the 60" MMM and hit a patch of common Bermuda the tractor smokes black. When I slow it down it will clear up. I know that is unburned fuel I guess what has me a little concerned is the height of the Bermuda causing the heavy load and wondering if this is common. I am cutting on the second hole on the wheels and the grass is not more than 4 more like 3 inches high. I'm just looking for a reality check here. I understand I am only working with 16HP and my last mower was a Ferris zero turn with the pro briggs eng was 28HP I think but the zero would run thru waist high Bahia with out slowing down. Any input comments are appreciated.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Check your blades and spindles.
I has been known that on rare occasions
The odd individual may have installed a blade
Upside -down.

A tight bearing or spindle on deck can cause some drag also.
And a mis-routed belt turning a blade backwards can also drag mower down.

My L1501 runs a 60" rear three point deck with no problem.
I run pto in 1 rev engine at pto mark on tach.
It wil smoke under load when i get into heavy stuff.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
When mowing with the 60" MMM and hit a patch of common Bermuda the tractor smokes black. When I slow it down it will clear up. I know that is unburned fuel I guess what has me a little concerned is the height of the Bermuda causing the heavy load and wondering if this is common. I am cutting on the second hole on the wheels and the grass is not more than 4 more like 3 inches high. I'm just looking for a reality check here. I understand I am only working with 16HP and my last mower was a Ferris zero turn with the pro briggs eng was 28HP I think but the zero would run thru waist high Bahia with out slowing down. Any input comments are appreciated.
First lets talk about bermuda grass - as you know it is one tough som beeeauch!(jackie gleeson voice) the grass does not grow vertically - but horizontally and grow it does well!

you up in the rpm range? What is happening is that your engine is running at "x" rpm's and the fuel is appropriate for that rpm, and then you hit the tough stuff and the rpm's drop - but the fuel does not catch up fast enough, the governor is trying to bring the rpm's back up and so on.

blades good and sharp? your zero turn have a 5' cut?

I have the same machine as you do - and same MMM - i can feel the engine moan a bit when my grass goes from fescue to bermuda - and I fertilize the hell out of the bermuda!

sharpen the blades, raise the deck a bit , and cut slower ! See if it makes a difference!:)